February 6th, 2009

Palin: ESPN inspired daughter's name

(CNN) – Sarah Palin’s media blitz continues in a new, expansive interview with Esquire magazine, in which the Alaska governor reflects on the presidential race, her favorite lip balm, and how her ESPN motivated her to name her daughter Bristol.

Palin told the magazine the inspiration for her oldest daughter’s name had a few sources. She once worked at a Dillingham hotel called the Bristol Inn, and her husband Todd grew up in Bristol Bay.

“But also, Bristol, Connecticut, is the home of ESPN,” she explained. “And when I was in high school, my desire was to be a sportscaster. ESPN was just kicking off, just getting off the ground, and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

Esquire published online excerpts of the interview last month, including one in which Palin bashed “bored, anonymous, pathetic bloggers who lie.” But on Friday, the magazine released a miscellany of nearly two dozen quotes from the interview, which covered everything from moose chili to Saturday Night Live.

Looking back on the campaign, Palin reiterated her disappointment with the McCain campaign’s decision to pull out of Michigan early.

“We pulled out of some states that I believe we should have continued to campaign in and sent a stronger message that those states really mattered, regardless of the number of electoral votes there,” she said. “The people mattered. I would have loved to have had more influence on where it was that we campaigned.”

As she said in the earlier excerpts, Palin said she wished she could have called “some of the shots” in the race. “Don't just assume that they know you well enough to make all your decisions for ya,” she said.

The governor noted that she’s a big fan of a certain lip ointment. “I'm addicted to Carmex,” she said. “I don't go anywhere without Carmex.”

She also said: “Everything I've ever needed to know I learned through sports.”

At the end of a long day, she said, she likes to take a bath with her son Trig, and then fall asleep listening her daughter Piper read aloud.

“She's learning to read and she'll read for hours on end,” she said. “It's idyllic. It's amazing.”

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Spencer/Virginia

I'd like to see the cat fight between Ashley Judd and Palin.

February 6, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  2. Tulsa L

Everything she has ever needed to know she learned from sports!!!!!! Explains why her intelligence is limited........... McCain pulled out of Michigan early because at that point he realized he had made a fatal mistake in taking Palin on a VP........ I lived in Alaska and I know the trash on Palin and you don't want her anywhere in our Goverment. The trash will all come out when she runs for her next election, she wasn't completely vetted by the GOP and she didn't give herself to many of the reportpers, this next run she will be facing a more aggressive media and she will show you what she really is made of.

February 6, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  3. Sonny

I have to wonder if the loons who post on this web site get up in the morning looking for the first Palin news article of the day to get their kicks.

All I ever see from them is the same old tired expressions from the same people.

Pathetic!!!

February 6, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  4. Dawn

Oh dear, Sarah Palin is what comic relief for us. Who really cares about a name, what I care about is JOBS BABY JOBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CNN she is not news worthy. She has the intelligence of an snail. If she would be faced with this deficit, how would she handle it? Oh yeah she would have her true neo-cons to kill the Democrats.

Hearing John McCain today and his so-called knowledge of economics et. "I am suspending my campaigning to head back to D.C. to be the leader and hero of the TARP. It back fired.

Gov. Palin stay in Alaska and deal with Mt. Redoubt.

February 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  5. Royd

Oh, that faraway, magical land called... Connecticut.

No wonder she hadn't traveled out of the country before 2008.

February 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  6. Sniffit

Hey, I love a good morning constitutional...maybe I'll name my first kid Dump. For real, this woman is a troglodyte.

February 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  7. are you surprised

that there are so many crooks and thieves around you,

beside yourself?

well, how else can you make zillions

without honestly laboring and creating value?

cheating is the name of the capitalist game.

enjoy betting against your own intersts!

and good luck with that!

February 6, 2009 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  8. obama-mama

Peter piper pick a pepper?

February 6, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  9. Lisa

All you mean people must be interested in Sara Why else would you all read and comment???
    She is a real women. Great mom and wife.

February 6, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  10. joeb

CNN keeps running stories about this dullard simply to attract viewers; no more, no less.

February 6, 2009 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  11. Rick

"...and I thought that's what I was going to do in life, is be one of the first woman sportscasters. Until I learned that you'd have to move to Bristol, Connecticut. It was far away. So instead, I had a daughter and named her Bristol.”

What else do you need to know about Sarah Palin?

February 6, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  12. obambi

Palin and her supporters will be ready for you vicious libs next time. Ashley Judd and Tina Fey have had their day. The so-called "elites" can have fun trying to remake Obama after his true self came out with these post-campaign clueless speeches. Tell him to stop smoking–might cost us money for his extra health care.

February 6, 2009 01:25 pm at 1:25 pm |
  13. She Has The IQ of Lint

Let's see Bristol for ESPN, Track because she and her husband ran track....what next. Why not "idiot" because that's what she and her husband are...two idiots procreating. And she has the nerve to want to run for a national office. The thought makes me puke.

We hit the jackpot with Barack Obama, and thank goodness. McCain picked this lame Caribou Doll who butchers her state image and makes a mockery of everything. I want these people to go away now.

Why haven't we picked anyone from Alaska for president–because if they're anything like Sarah, they're wackos.

Go away Palin, you make me puke.

February 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  14. dotjet

@ Cynthia in MI:

That's hysterical! I laughed out loud and almost choked on my lunch!

February 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. AndyL

Wow, the dumbmocrats are about to throw away 1 trillion dollars in tax payers money, but they are still worried about this woman and her kin.

February 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. Sniffit

That's just a cover-up. What really happened is this illiterate dullard picked up an atlas and thought it was a baby name book.

February 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

OKAY, ALL TOGETHER NOW. THIS IS MORE PROOF THAT PALIN IS A BORN AGAIN IDIOT.

February 6, 2009 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  18. Kim

One more time... WE. DON'T. CARE.

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  19. Richard

Why couldn't they have asked her about all the things she said that had no truth?

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  20. mary, colorado

This woman's oratory has all the substance of a soap bubble, and just
    about as empty. Why does the media insist on printing ANYTHING she does or says. WHO CARES?????? Give her a 1-ticket home and let her run Alaska and stay out of the Lower 48.

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  21. SOUTHERN HOTTIE

CNN = COMPLETE NON NEWS

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  22. kyle

people relax...she show some self respect and don't criticize everything she does.

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  23. Sniffit

She was so busy "reading everything" that she didn't have time to thumb thru a baby name book? ha...she probably tries to read the toilet paper.

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  24. obama-mama

She likes to take a bath with her son Trig? Who needs to know that.....Wow...What a nut.

February 6, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  25. Jean from Belgium

To Ray Ray, bring change and hope in your own mind!
    Maybe and hopely y'll understand what life is all about?

February 6, 2009 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |