February 6th, 2009

Voinovich out of bipartisan stimulus talks

Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich has dropped out of bipartisan negotiations for an economic stimulus bill.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich has dropped out of bipartisan negotiations for an economic stimulus bill, a potentially ominous sign for President Obama’s top priority.

According to a Voinovich aide, following a meeting of Republican negotiators this afternoon in Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid’s office, Voinovich concluded that his “philosophical” differences with their approach is too great, and he can no longer support efforts at compromise, or the final bill.

The problem for Democratic leaders and the White House: they need two or three Republican votes to pass the stimulus bill - and only five, including Voinovich, have been involved in negotiations.

Even Susan Collins of Maine, the lead Republican in the effort, made clear to reporters as she left Reid’s office this afternoon that she didn’t feel as good as she had earlier.

Filed under: George Voinovich
  1. No Incumbents 2010

If I praise President Obama, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi will you post my comment?

February 6, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. beelte

Independent_me February 6th, 2009 6:42 pm ET

I completely agree. Besides voinovich is not running again in 2010. so he doesnt have anything to lose (loser).

February 6, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  3. make a note, he gave up on bipartisanship

I used to like him, now he is a tool

February 6, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  4. EBC, MD

Another toddler in the playpen. If you don't play with me, then I'm out...

What a bunch of Republican babies. Screw them. Let them eat CROW when their constituents VOTE of them OUT of office in 2010/2012.

February 6, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  5. joe plummer

THE COWARD SHOULD RESIGN.

February 6, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  6. jan

I can't stand Republicans... When will they ever realize there is more to the country than themselves and their self interest. Why can't they ever learn to respect other peoples point of view.

If they were such great leaders and thinkers. Why wasn't this put to use in the last 8 years?

February 6, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. gl, Pittsburgh

Cut tax seems to be the ony thing Rebpulicans think about. The are nuts and 2010 we the people will vote you nuts out for good.

February 6, 2009 07:22 pm at 7:22 pm |
  8. Rick Sutter

Testing, 1, 2, 3. Is this thing on?

February 6, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  9. Jon in CA

Independent _me writes, "The Republicans believe that "compromise" means "doing things our way".

Who exactly was it recently that used that great "bi-partisan" approach telling Republicans, "I WON". Oh yes – the great messiah Obama!

Better clean off your mirror before casting stones, IM.

February 6, 2009 07:30 pm at 7:30 pm |
  10. Repubs Sit Down and Shut Up!

I am sick of these tired, old Republicans with "philosophical” differences that are out of touch. They should shut up and let the Dems have their way. The Repubs had their turn and failed miserably, so who are they to have any meaningful influence on the stimulous package?

February 6, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  11. T in NV

I agree with Independent_me

February 6, 2009 07:37 pm at 7:37 pm |
  12. HAWK TEXAS

People like him will be the death of the republican party. they sat there and gave bush any thing that he wanted for 8 years with out a wimper. they are the ones that put us in this mess to start with. now that some one is trying to straighten their mess out they think that they know the best way. more and more tax cuts for the corperations and their rich buddies.i will be very glad when there is not a republican in any office.

February 6, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  13. Franky

Look at this freak here...let me guess, he wanted a Sprite instead of an 7up, huh? LOL!! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I just think sometimes I may do my government bogus be leaving there alone...but with these, I'm glad I took the other road.

...Hmmmm, you know, now is a good time if I can have that Casino here!! Plus, everybody is writing to Congress right now...maybe for the wrong reasons but the point is there's stock baby, there's stock right there...

No doubt one of my top 3 things I've been waiting for since, 1)Our former Gov is gone, 2) Waiting for the messiah and 3) having that casino. I'm livin it guys, I'm livin it now...

I should start with, "remember me?" LOL!! Cool...

February 6, 2009 07:52 pm at 7:52 pm |
  14. Sue, NY

GROW UP

February 6, 2009 07:56 pm at 7:56 pm |
  15. Charlie in Maine

Hang in ther folks. Isn't it ironic that the youngest President in years is acting the most "grown-up" of any on either side,

February 6, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  16. Michael G-Ventura CA

To the constiuents of these idiots: Vote them OUT when they're up for reelection! Their ways don NOT work!

February 6, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  17. The Truth

Anybody with any sense at all will run, not walk, run away from this awful pork-bill.

February 6, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  18. A couple of voters from Ohio

He has "philosophical" differences – hmmmmmm – is this about him or as a Senator from Ohio shouldn't he be representing his state's voters best interests?

Thank you for deciding not to run again Senator Voinovich!

February 6, 2009 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  19. Lost in Texas FOREVER

perhaps now President Obama will realize that when Republicans say they want bipartisanship it means that "YOU agree with THEM"! Hard lesson to learn but at least he learned it early.

February 6, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. JJ

Those within the government should be required to do actual field work. Helping feed the homeless, rebuild homes from disasters, invest time at nursing homes and countless other acts before any discussion takes place. Better yet, they should be required to live in such conditions before making decisions.

February 6, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  21. RJW

A CHANGE IS GONNA COME, COME 2010. YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IT FEEL LIKE TO BE UMEMPLOYED.

February 6, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  22. Texas Teacher

Senator Voinovich has done what? Now what have I been saying for days! These republicans will laugh at your back for courting their support, and they will still do exactly what Voinovich is doing!

If I hear of one more Republican who thinks he knows how to solve the problems that THEY made.... I will seriously puke right on my laptop with pure disgust!

February 6, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  23. Gerry

It's interesting that Voinovich has "philosophical differences" against a bill that will put many struggling Ohians to work. Ohians should remember this when next he runs for office and express the "philosophical differences" they have with Voinovich.

February 6, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  24. charles allen

Its ironic that the repulcians our doing the most complaining about the stimulus bill but in the end they will deliver the fewest votes. Just lilke the bank bail out bill

February 6, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  25. Mariaelena

Ahh, yes, the old compromise debate. GOP nor Dems rarely compromise. Would they do that for the sake of their country, their own families, friends,communities, cities, constituencies...Heck no. Would they do it for the sake of being re-elected...maybe. But a long-shot. Here's another paternalistic jerk who loves the sound of his own voice and thinks he still speaks for Ohio. He does not. And I suspect the next round of elections will show that fact.

Brunswick,MD