February 6th, 2009

When raccoons attack

One large raccoon and several smaller ones have invaded the White House grounds.

(CNN) - In the ongoing battle between a pack of particularly ambitious raccoons and the White House groundskeepers, the raccoons appear to be winning.

According to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, no raccoons have been caught on the White House grounds since the band of intruders were first spotted roaming the premises earlier this month.

The National Parks service set up several traps around the White House lawn earlier this week after determining one large raccoon and several smaller ones were causing trouble around the West Wing and the Executive Mansion.

If and when the raccoons are caught they will be released into the wild, the National Park Service has said.

But the traps, which include peanut butter and apples as bait, have yet to allure any of the pesky mammals.

"No raccoons that I know of have been caught or disbursed into other places in Washington," said Gibbs.

The White House press secretary also said he would be of little use in the hunt: "There are a few that roam in my backyard, so I don't have any particular tips."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Justin

Marshmallows work really well as bait for raccoons. They should try that instead.

February 6, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. globalgroove

Ethen...lighten up. Christmas is over. You can take off the grinch costume.

February 6, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  3. Anonymous

I say lets kill em' they're probably linked to al-queida

February 6, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  4. Ken

And here I thought that bandit was Nancy Pelosi.

"And it's always nice to see an animal outsmarting a human being. "

We are talking about Washington here, remove brains and common sense upon entering.

February 6, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  5. JB Spooner

Maybe raccoons are smarter than we think. They know enough to stay away from peanut butter.

February 6, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  6. The_ Lancer

SARDINES!
    For you American friends please....
    YOU MUST OPEN THE CAN!

February 6, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Al

Try fried chicken and watermelon in the traps.

February 6, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. marshall autry

Let them stay. Yes they can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 6, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  9. George

I do hope they didn't get the peanut butter from that plant in GA....

February 6, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  10. FreeNLovIt

Oh dear, time to get rabies shot!! NOW!!! Everyone working there!!

February 6, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  11. Bogsted

Bananas, marshmallows and grapes. Anyone who knows raccoons knows that. Peanut butter is for squirrels.

February 6, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  12. Lynn in NM

Make sure you don't give them salmonella with that peanut butter! You'll have Ashley Judd down your throat.

February 6, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  13. Ted

I like how the article says they will release the racoons into the wild right after they trap them. Yeah right....they are baiting them with peanutbutter (salmonella).

February 6, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  14. brian.werner@usd.edu

Just don't use the recalled peanut butter on those racoon traps.

February 6, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  15. FreeNLovIt

Raccoons are scary wild animals. When I was a kid, I used to accompany my brother or sisters to throw the garbage onto the dumpster. The scariest thing to us, were the raccoons. They looked scary at night.....

February 6, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  16. alvino

Can Sarah Palin shoot them from a helicopter?

February 6, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  17. Meka

OF COURSE WE KNOW, CHENEY LEFT THE RACCOONS BEHIND!

February 6, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  18. maeve

As relocating raccoons is essentially just dropping them off to be someone else's problem, I suggest freeing them in some republican's backyard.

Better yet, ship them to Rush's estate.

February 6, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  19. Bubba

Just wait for the Armadillo Attack Squad.

February 6, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  20. Bob

Jeez, I can't believe the comment thread on this became political. The raccoons arrived earlier in January (when we had President Bush) and are here still (we have President Obama). The non-political groundskeeping staff at the White House is trying to capture the raccoons. Anyone reading politics in this is really pathetic.

February 6, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  21. Idealist

I love my little raccoon visitors!

F.Y.I. they are especially fond of red seedless grapes and non-poisonous, unsalted peanuts in the shell.

February 6, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  22. Grandma

Use salmon skin or shellfish and they'll get into a bobcat size cage. I promise. They can carry rabies and should not be around the kids or their new puppy. Then.......
    Send 'em to Sarah and she'll take care of them!

February 6, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  23. OnetimeDCResident

What is "the wild" where they are to be disbursed? Rock Creek Park? Anywhere in NE Washington?

More seriously, I was ordered by my local animal control officer here in NJ to release the raccoons who invaded my garage right back into the neighborhood. It is not right to relocate raccoons to some other area and place them in competition with the family of raccoons that have staked out their own territory.

February 6, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  24. Cheri NW

Sardines and a dish of water. Racoons like to wash their food first!

February 6, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |