February 6th, 2009

When raccoons attack

One large raccoon and several smaller ones have invaded the White House grounds.

(CNN) - In the ongoing battle between a pack of particularly ambitious raccoons and the White House groundskeepers, the raccoons appear to be winning.

According to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, no raccoons have been caught on the White House grounds since the band of intruders were first spotted roaming the premises earlier this month.

The National Parks service set up several traps around the White House lawn earlier this week after determining one large raccoon and several smaller ones were causing trouble around the West Wing and the Executive Mansion.

If and when the raccoons are caught they will be released into the wild, the National Park Service has said.

But the traps, which include peanut butter and apples as bait, have yet to allure any of the pesky mammals.

"No raccoons that I know of have been caught or disbursed into other places in Washington," said Gibbs.

The White House press secretary also said he would be of little use in the hunt: "There are a few that roam in my backyard, so I don't have any particular tips."

Filed under: Uncategorized
  1. Anonymous

Raccoons are ornery little fellers. From my own experience, they have a liking for the leftover Chinese takeout found in my former neighbor's topless trash can. Pork Lo Mein, that's how you trap yourself a raccoon!

February 6, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  2. Mel

@ Amber's Caddyshack reference. I immediately thought the same thing. Maybe they need to remember what Carl said and take his advice: "I have to laugh, because I've outsmarted even myself. My enemy, my foe, is an animal. In order to conquer the animal, I have to learn to think like an animal. And, whenever possible, to look like one. I've gotta get inside this guy's pelt and crawl around for a few days." :-)

February 6, 2009 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  3. honestly

Smelly cat food works:)

February 6, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. Ron San Bruno Ca

I think rush and sean had something to do with this invasion .

February 6, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  5. David

Put a Glazer Doughnut in the trap for bait........It works here in Iowa. The little trash raiders cant resist!

February 6, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  6. Elizabeth Iledare

You might really want to consider rewording the tittle of this article.

February 6, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  7. Jeff

This would make a good comedy movie.

February 6, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  8. Tariq

This is hardly news...what is news is how did CNN stoop to this level of priorities when it comes to journalism

February 6, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. Steve in Las Vegas,NV

Actually Racoons are not the funloving creatures as seen in Disney, but can really do some big damage, especially to hands.They may look cute, but keep your distance, after thry are WILD animals.

They can and sometimes do carry rabies, so don't play around with these guys, unless you like pain.

Let experts handle them, that is unless you enjoy the possible rabies shots. I have seen some of these guys popping out of storm drains late at night and these were rather large and hungry guys

February 6, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. Jon

Don't mess with the raccoons. They all carry radios and know what's going on.

February 6, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  11. Simmy

I never heard of any such problem before. Did someone idiot pull a stupid "A" prank, or is this a real problem? God, please keep my First Family safe.

February 6, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  12. Jane

Raccoons love bacon. My family has caught them in from 5 to 45 minutes using a racoon-sized Havahart trap for release into the wild. It's on the instructions with the trap that this is their favorite food.

February 6, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  13. Steve Jenks

I think those raccoons just want to know how is the stimulus package can help them.

February 6, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  14. A.A

Apple's and peanut butter?? wow i didn't think those would bring in raccoons. But what if the raccoons are allergic to peanut butter? and if they died having it would that be a crime...I BELIEVE so! But this is just a pointless topic. Like really. Do we really care that theres raccoons all around the White House??? COME ON PEOPLE....get a life.

February 6, 2009 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  15. Bill

Try sardines.

February 6, 2009 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  16. Matt in CA

We used a deep fried apple pie like you get in a grocery store. It worked. We caught a couple of the buggers. I don't think the pest control guys released them in the wild, I think they ate them!

February 6, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  17. Suzanne

Fish is what they'll go for... not peanut butter!!!

February 6, 2009 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  18. open season

animals are highly over rated

I say pollute as much as you want and everyone needs a gun

no limits on guns, and carry them anywhere, in city limits etc

lord knows any limits on guns is against the constitution

lets allow shooting of the animals in city limits, otherwise we are taking NRAs rights away

pesky animals, club the seals, melt the polar ice cap, Bush would've wanted it that way, and so does Palin, and Rush too!

We don't need no stinking nature – I think China has the answer thats best, ever smelled the air in China? Don't let love of nature get in the way of free enterprise, don't put limits on my guns

Lets allow shooting animals universally from Helicopters all accross the U.S.

February 6, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  19. Willy Brown

Heck they don't even like the porkulus package either.

February 6, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  20. Darrel

use a bowl of Cat or Dog Food as bait. Pesky little things always raid pet food when its on a porch, and the trap has to look natural as these are sharp little pest.

February 6, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  21. Wolf-Woman Palin Charlotte, NC

I just fly around in my helicopter and shoot them. They scare the moose and bear that we love to eat.

February 6, 2009 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  22. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Smart raccoon – They know it is a bad batch of peanut butter!

February 6, 2009 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  23. Bill

Due to their masked facial markings and their cunning harvest of easy to obtain rewards, raccoons are also known as bandits. These may be, in fact, bankers looking for more low hanging fruit. Please capture and contain them.

February 6, 2009 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  24. Jeana

They like to eat marshmellows. Give them a treat before you send them to the wild.

February 6, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. frank

As a homeowner who has trapped and relocated over 50 raccoons in the past few years (I began using food dye on them post capture to make sure I wasn't re-trapping the same poor guy over and over) I recommend a sure fire bait – cheap dry cat food. They can't get enough of it, and it they get a little snack too...and no salmonella-laced peanut butter

February 6, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |