February 7th, 2009

Obama reaches out to voters on stimulus

Barack Obama is encouraging his voters to support his economic stimulus plan.
Barack Obama is encouraging his voters to support his economic stimulus plan.

(CNN) - In a video message e-mailed Saturday, President Obama calls on those who voted for him in the presidential election to throw their support behind his economic stimulus plan.

“If you haven’t been affected by this crisis, you’ve likely comforted somebody who has,” Obama says before making his case for the stimulus package making its way through Senate.

Obama says his package will create or save more than 3 million jobs, “many in your own communities,” and insists his plan is one that “America so desperately needs.”

“I know some critics are worried about the scale of this plan but if we fail to pass it promptly, our economy will fall $1 trillion short of what it’s capable of producing this year. In order to make up that difference, economists agree we must act boldly.”

Obama vows to “enlist all of you” to oversee the plan.

“As soon as this plan is signed into law, recovery.gov goes live, and you’ll be able to see precisely where your tax dollars are going, because this is your democracy, and as I said throughout the campaign, change never begins from the top down. It begins from the bottom up,” he says.

The president’s personal message comes as polls show that the public’s support for the stimulus has slipped.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Truth be Told

I have to say that I am very disappointed in the Democrats. I have been a democrat all my life but as of today I will be considering myself an independent. Here we have an economy in crisis and instead of using tax payer money to really do something that would have a direct impact on the economy, they are using the opportunity to push through some of their ridiculous agendas. I had to leave my home state and move to another state to find work because both myself and my husband lost our jobs. Now we are paying for a mortgage in my home state as well as rent in the new state in which we live because I cannot get my home sold. We could have sat at home, file for unemployment and allow our home to go into foreclosure but instead we have decided to move to another state where we could find work. We will do whatever it takes to keep an income. So it upsets me to see what they are doing with my hard earned money. Mr, president, you have asked us to hold you accountable so her is my question. Why did it take the Republicans to get rid of some of the crap that the Democrats had in the original bill. You know, people like me could use some of that money to help me stay in my home instead of running around the country wherever there is a job opening.

February 7, 2009 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  2. AMA

I am so sorry you have to put up with the insane rep. You and your
    people have worked so hard on this package. We really did vote you
    in to office. McCain get over yourself, you had your chance and it was laughable.

February 7, 2009 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  3. Anita from Arizona

Did you Repugs forget we were already in debt from funding a BS war on Chinese credit? Not to mention the 700 billion to the banks, who you would think can manage their money, but paid themselves bonuses and vacations. Where was the oversight for that? Oh yeah, that was pushed through in Bush's administration. Why didn't Bush regulate CEO pay, or make the banks itemize their expenses? You can't trust Wall street to do the right thing with the money, but you can trust the American people will. I can't believe your still making the lame argument for tax cuts for the rich. How wrong you are.

February 7, 2009 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  4. M. Felder

No one really knows for sure what the right formula is to get us out of this mess. The republican keeps suggesting that we put in tax cuts to spur the economy. I don't believe that this administration has repealed the Bush's tax cuts, so if tax cuts were the solution, why aren't the cuts doing its job. The bush administration did a lot of spending, but it spent money on wasteful things. If we have to spend money, I rather see the money being spent on things that we will need in the future. So absolutely, the spending should be productive. Also, there is nothing preventing businesses from creating jobs, except the fact that most businesses have products that no one wants to buy at this moment. The fact is that our salary was never suitable to allow us to buy the things we wanted, we used credit cards to pay for our vacations, gas, etc. This economy has a 1 trillion dollar hole in its system, and unless we plug up that hole, we will continue to bleed out. If we have 3 million people out of work, that is 3 million people not paying taxes. And if 3 million people is not paying taxes, we will not be able to clear this deficit.

February 7, 2009 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  5. Christina

I feel that the only way a stimuls plan could work is if the money was put on a debit card " The Stimulus Card", and not in a check form. There is no way of knowing that the american people will spend it right away. Some may save it in the bank, gamble at the casino, buy weed or send it back to their native countries, The card might be a lot more feasble for the elderly, mentaly challenged, and people that are uncomfortable with hadeling cash. I believe that there should be some minor stipulations regarding the debit card use, such as: no pen number, no cash back, and an expiration date to insure that the money will be spent expeditiously. We are in a crisis, and I strongly feel that the only way to boost the economy is to have an immediate plan of action as to how the money is being put back where it belongs. As americans we always want to see proof of everything. There are some people that might be blind to the fact that we are nearing a depression. I am not one of those people, and I do not wish to be one of those people standing on the soup kitchen line waiting for a loaf of bread. Unfortunately, that is happening now; however, I don't want to be one of those people in need because I know they are suffering. I hope this message reaches everyone that is concerned about the economy.

Peace to the middle east!

Christina

February 7, 2009 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. patrot

I supported ths Oil salesman for change what do I get? The same old evil Republicans controlling things and sending ths great nation into hellGOP is good for one thing the rich become richer and the struggling become porer.At least they did not stop Bush's 850billion,but they were quick to cut off funds from the stimilus that will make America great again.Obama and the rest of the Dems you all have been outfoxed by the GOP.

February 8, 2009 03:55 am at 3:55 am |
  7. patriot

Aha is Obama a Democrat or a Republican? How on earth can they allow the Gop to outsmart them? Cutting funds on education,Science,security,green jobs saving our earth and broadband for all Americans? Man can anyone tell me who are these people n the.Republican party? I really can't see the rest of Americans sit idle snd let this evil GOP ruin this great nation.Obama you fooled us.

February 8, 2009 04:27 am at 4:27 am |