February 7th, 2009

Obama reaches out to voters on stimulus

Barack Obama is encouraging his voters to support his economic stimulus plan.
Barack Obama is encouraging his voters to support his economic stimulus plan.

(CNN) - In a video message e-mailed Saturday, President Obama calls on those who voted for him in the presidential election to throw their support behind his economic stimulus plan.

“If you haven’t been affected by this crisis, you’ve likely comforted somebody who has,” Obama says before making his case for the stimulus package making its way through Senate.

Obama says his package will create or save more than 3 million jobs, “many in your own communities,” and insists his plan is one that “America so desperately needs.”

“I know some critics are worried about the scale of this plan but if we fail to pass it promptly, our economy will fall $1 trillion short of what it’s capable of producing this year. In order to make up that difference, economists agree we must act boldly.”

Obama vows to “enlist all of you” to oversee the plan.

“As soon as this plan is signed into law, recovery.gov goes live, and you’ll be able to see precisely where your tax dollars are going, because this is your democracy, and as I said throughout the campaign, change never begins from the top down. It begins from the bottom up,” he says.

The president’s personal message comes as polls show that the public’s support for the stimulus has slipped.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Gloria Pariseau

Obama makes a good case but I just don't know what is spin and what is truth. We dispersed a whole lot of money-billions-a few months ago and no one seems to know what happened to it. That was suppose to fix the problem. Now, they want to spend more no one seems to know if the stimulus will solve the problem. I am convinced the schools do not need more money until they can become accountable. Likewise for the cities and states. Everyone, or nearly everyone, has been living way beyond their means and this stimulus only will allow that to continue. I think we start with an austerity package. Congress should lead by returning the increase in their salaries they took last month as well as their obscene retirement funds and health care program. That may sound petty but you have to start somewhere. I think we need a 1770's style tax rebellion. No taxation without representation and we sure have no representation and haven't had for sometime.

February 7, 2009 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  2. Obama Supporter

I support Obama wholeheartedly. Look, we tried it the GOP way and it just hasn't worked. That's why Obama won, folks. We need to try it another way...the GOP would be smart to stop their childish antics like immediately.

February 7, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  3. John G

I have said it before and most likely will again. I don't want to know where my money IS GOING, I want to know where my money WILL GO before a single dollar is authorized.

I want to know where and how every dollar of the Trillion he wants will benefit America. Not just certain parts but all of America as a whole.

February 7, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  4. mike

Go away Nobama, we know now that you are a socialist, marxist, communist. I rue the day I voted for you. Go live with the muslims where you belong.

February 7, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  5. serah

Just to add on what i have mentioned earlier... Can the president take a deep breath on this and work the package slowly? why the hurry? so when the government buys new cars that are energy efficient, how will that put people to work? how will that stop GM from laying people off? Come on President you can do better than this, JUST READ THE PACKCAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes we are in a recession but should we hurry to fix it if it took 8 years to get in it? Why cant he sign the bill after the first 100 days. The wallstreet bail out was rushed and see what happened later??It should have served as a good eye opener. I do not understand why democrats are rushing and filling it with PORK. Be careful the ballot is awaiting most of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  6. Steven

OK Joe. I also need to know from you which school my kids should go to, what I should right my thesis on and if I should refinance, since I should trust you, a perfect stranger er, loser.

February 7, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  7. Zion

President Obama sent a bill to Congress. Their jobs were to compromise and cut what they felt would not benefit the American people. He listened. What I see are alot of people not using their heads when it comes to judging President Obama and his policies. I see jealousy in some of these comments, and bitterness. We cannot afford these sorts of spirits if this country is to remain the superpower of the world. Grow up.

February 7, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  8. Daniel, Atlanta, GA

Hey Republicans who are so against this stimulus package, I have a challenge for you all:

"When you get your stimulus money, why not just return it to Uncle Sam?" If there are enough of you returning the money, we'll save that money! Good idea, right?

You guys really don't get it! If we lose millions of jobs, we will lose more than a trillion dollars in tax revenues and maybe tens of trillions of dollars in lost productivity. GOPers need to realize that they are the cause of this mess; Mr. Obama has only been in office less than 3 weeks! But, the solution is simple for the GOP, just don't deposit your checks and don't spend the money in Red States. Just send it back!

February 7, 2009 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  9. Emma

Only GOD can change this mess we are in. We need to pray for President Obama. And quit fighting try LOVE. It can all change if we ask JESUS to hear our prayers. PRAY AMERICA

February 7, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  10. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

This "plan" is a precipitous lurch into a spending spree financed by generations yet to be born which will at best only delay the calamitous consequences of a greedy and stupid economy dependent upon charlatans selling useless or inferior junk to people who are too poor to buy it. I don't buy this overambitious and theoretically shaky plan.

February 7, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. Ryan

Hey Robin,

Why don't you think in the long term for a change. Buying cars will allow AMERICAN auto workers to keep their jobs and generate more revenue for AMERICAN auto companies. Furthermore, the new cars will use less gas in the long run so it will reduce long term costs and drive demand down for gas. Every item in the bill also has a long term effect. I know it's hard for republicans to think long term because they are only concerned about how much money they make that year, but give it a try sometime.

February 7, 2009 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. Mulatta

Sorry to say, but President Obama is a complete joke!

February 7, 2009 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Mike - Houston

Obama is not enlisting you. He is enlisting your retirement savings, your children's college fund, your paycheck, your future.

What a disaster, and after only 2 weeks. I generally takes longer for a president to be proven an imbecil.

February 7, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  14. 10-4

have all your congress, CEOS, appointees pay there taxes. that may solve all your problem. if not , then ask Common Sense.

February 7, 2009 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  15. Danielle MN

Robin Robb-
    The highest deficits in US history were created by Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush.
    Are we still paying off the enormous debt left by Ronald Reagan?
    Nope. It was paid down during the Clinton administration.
    Democrats know how to lift the economy and manage the budget.
    If the GOP gets with the program, Obama will be able to do the same.

Also- the government is getting new cars in order to stimulate orders for cars. You've heard they're not selling, right? These cars are hybrids, so they will save taxpayers money because they require no gas.

Investigate the real impact of something before you open your mouth.

February 7, 2009 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

Regardless of the Stay The Course GOP, President Obama has a plan which deserves to be given a try. Naysayers want absolutes to this very unique challenge yet since this is all completely new terrtory for any President we must trust his actions will be in our best interests.The fact that he is listening to the people is heartening as that hasn't happened before either. Our President is taking great pains to perform his best for America and we should all appreciate his efforts and integrity. He has won my support for certain!!!

February 7, 2009 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  17. tishoogle

You all sound like those loser REPUBLICANS! Negative people!!!!!

February 7, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  18. Andrew

Whatever one may designate the Package as- a Socialistic or Economic Recovery or even TARP Ed. 3, America needs a boost. Wall Street Rich have looted on TARP 1 . Many of us relied on Wall Street Rich . They enriched themeselves while cheating on our Tax Payers money. The Boost can only be a trial and error mechanisms even at the Macro level. The Adminstration in infancy is facing the task Cleansing the Sysytem of strong Stench from the Previous Administration. If the American People are not supporting the Fed at this time no one will ever.
    May be the Adminstration should have, on another note nominated Mr Rush L, as Secretary for HHS- has good nexus with Pharma cos., and Mr Hannity for Commerce Secretary- he is good reading between the lines for the People!!!!

February 7, 2009 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  19. Samantha Glorioso

Talking about unemployment, I am wondering why no one seems to be outraged by the Microsoft layoff of 5,000 workers. Microsoft made a profit of $4.6 billion last year and MIGHT save $300 million by laying off these workers and causing them and their families untold misery. In this economy, how much profit is enough? Corporate greed has really gotten out of hand.

February 7, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. simon48

He say's you'll see precisely where your tax dollars are going. He doesn't say you have any control of where they go. As John McCain said many times, " you have to listen to what he is saying"

February 7, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. Ula Nejad Sacramento, Ca

I usually like to read the nutritional value first before I even buy food product. Its an old habit of mine. This "sign and date here" is familiar ground. I would not want to sign my life away. And this video clip was taken several days ago. Way before the tentative deal. Sorry !

February 7, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. I told you so

It is not just a NO but an oh HELL NO to your so called stimulas!!!!!!!!!

February 7, 2009 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  23. Dumas McGee

I knew the draft was coming back!

February 7, 2009 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  24. Albo58

Selfishly, if not unpatriotically, I sort of like to keep my money for my family and myself! This total waste of tax dollars should be stopped NOW!

February 7, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. BB

I've written both R and D Senators and Representatives expressing my views.

I've also warned them that we are all watcing, and reminded them that next year is 2010. We have voted some of the rascals our, we can get more of the obstructionists out next year.

February 7, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |