February 7th, 2009

Sarah Palin's husband, aides found in contempt

Todd Palin, shown campaigning in Virginia in 2008, didn't testify, but submitted a statement in the case.

(CNN) - Todd Palin and nine aides were found in contempt Friday by the Alaska Senate for failing to appear to testify in the Legislature's "troopergate" investigation of his wife, Gov. Sarah Palin, a spokeswoman for the Alaska Democratic Party said.

But a Senate resolution said no one should be punished, because the 10 did submit statements to the investigator, the Anchorage Daily News reported.

The governor's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The investigation concerns the governor's firing of the state's public safety commissioner, Walter Monegan.

A bipartisan commission in the state Legislature investigated allegations that Palin fired Monegan after he refused to sack her ex-brother-in-law, State Trooper Mike Wooten. The governor, first elected in 2006, has denied wrongdoing.

Full story

Filed under: Sarah Palin
  1. Pel

My! My! MY!

Why the press keep after this lady. Could it be she and her family has done something wrong?

February 7, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  2. C

I guess the standard to be a trooper in Alaska must be pretty low if all you get is a five day suspension for drinking/driving on the job, and using a taser on a child for no good reason.

February 7, 2009 09:49 am at 9:49 am |
  3. Simmy

Please! One Palin is too much! Stop it!

February 7, 2009 09:51 am at 9:51 am |
  4. Bill Nancy,Ky

Silly Sarah and the rest of her scum-bag cohorts should be behind bars!

February 7, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  5. indiana voter

Okay liberals, here is another negative story about Sarah Palin, put out by the Democrat Party mouthpiece CNN. Time to get your daily fix of Sarah Palin bashing done and move on. Apparently CNN still sees her as a formidable foe, in the upcoming elections against the Democrats, to be publishing a story about her every day. She is becoming the new "Bush Derangement Syndrome." We can now call it the "Palin Derangement Syndrome" being pushed by the liberal media.

February 7, 2009 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  6. Sye the Pychic

Well, I guess we are all above the law as long as we sumit a written statement first.Does that also mean we arent under any type of oath when doing so?

February 7, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  7. Joshua College Station Texas

A contempt citation without a punishment is like getting whipped with a wet noodle. It doesn't hurt a bit! Totally useless.

Why don't lawmakers have any guts anymore? No one wants to punish anyone else, because they are all career politicians and don't want retribution down the road when the balance of power shifts.

Cowards.

February 7, 2009 10:01 am at 10:01 am |
  8. Barb

Your back on this. I though this was settled during the campaign?

I wish news media would stop saying "bipartisan" too...call it what it was back then...and what it is now with the stimulus bill: "an unequal number of republicans to the number of dems and only republicans who will side with the dems against whomever or whatever is being targeted gets to be in the group doing the 'investigation'."

February 7, 2009 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. pat C.

TRASH..TRASH....TRASH!

February 7, 2009 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Louis

If you or I were found in contempt by our state Senate, we would be severely punished. There truly is another justice system in America for the well-connected. It is a serious concern when common citizens lose faith in the equity of their legal system.

February 7, 2009 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  11. Lisa

I guess being found "in comtempt" doesn't mean anything anymore. It depends who you are. Sad.

February 7, 2009 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  12. KJL

Their "comtempt" is nothing like my contempt for Palin, her husband, and the entire circus surrounding them.

February 7, 2009 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  13. Ed, Santa Fe, NM

I sure have contempt for him and his idiot wife.....

February 7, 2009 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  14. Survivor

Not newsworthy! everyone knows the story - it seems to go with the territory, and then you have Ms. Sarah thanking Obama for supporting her pipeline! Yeah just another day in the Politico Land of Dreams.

February 7, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  15. Art Michaelson

Oh God: When oh when will we STOP reading about this BIMBO from ALASKA?

February 7, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  16. BB

Whatever.

As long as she keeps her family in the spotlight, all's fair.

February 7, 2009 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  17. Minnesotan

Typical Republican behavior: Thinking that you're above the law. What a bunch of crooks!

February 7, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  18. JNorman

I found their behavior in Troopergate contemptible too.

February 7, 2009 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  19. Ori

If Todd was a Democrat, the Republicans would be bleating and whining night and day on the TV nooz shows.

Because he is a Republican, this seems to be a non-event.

February 7, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  20. Michael

The Palin family did something corrupt and/or illegal? Well, I certainly never saw that coming. Oh wait, yes I did.

February 7, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  21. Bill in Albuquerque

if ordinary joe did this they would be in jail, so sick of the hypocracy

February 7, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  22. unlikely voter [D]

i hope they lock her up

February 7, 2009 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  23. Ravi in MO

Honestly, I'm starting to feel really bad for Sarah and her family. Being a staunch Obama supporter (and I still am), I was disgusted with her during the campaign. But now, after seeing thousands of horrible hateful remarks being directed at her from people who call themselves liberals, I have more sympathy for her than anything else.

Yes I strongly disagree with her views, but she is one gorgeous lady, and I absolutely love it when she winks, because it makes her even more beautiful. I wish we could all display the humility and respect that our President has shown this woman.

February 7, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  24. Tomas E

How do I as an average citizen get this kind of treatment where I don't care what the law says and do what I want?

February 7, 2009 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  25. annie - Palin 2012

The so-called powers that be are terrified of Gov. Palin in 2012.

February 7, 2009 10:21 am at 10:21 am |