February 8th, 2009

Shelby: Republicans should start over on stimulus bill

CNN

Watch Sen. Shelby debate the merits of the stimulus bill with New York Sen. Charles Schumer on John King's State of the Union.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama still isn’t happy with the stimulus bill even after hours of negotiating by centrist members of his own party in the Senate.

Asked by CNN’s Chief National Correspondent John King whether the version of the bill currently under consideration in the Senate is better than the House version, Shelby said his preference would be to start from scratch.

“It’s close to the House bill,” Shelby said Sunday on State of the Union. “They tweaked it a little bit but the substance is the same.”

“It’s not anything I could support,” Shelby added. “And I would hope – and I’m afraid we won’t – the Republicans would stay together. We could shelf this bill and start again. That’s what we really need to do.”

Shelby, the Ranking Member on the Senate Banking Committee, has also been critical of other efforts by the federal government to help the struggling economy including legislation that would have provided a bailout to the auto industry.

The Senate reached a tentative agreement Friday evening on a compromise version of the stimulus bill that was largely negotiated by a handful of centrist Republicans whose votes are needed to prevent a filibuster.

The Senate is expected to vote on the revised stimulus bill Tuesday.

1. paul oregon

shelby another member of the old white haired party that doesnt get it.
    wear were you at when the negotiations were taking place. maybe you should have been doing something besides shaking your head no.
    2010 hurry up.

February 8, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  2. Lori

@ Fearful for my country:

You weren't fearful for this country when George Bush was waging an unjust war in Iraq? Or when he left dead bodies floating in the streets of New Orleans? Are you serious?

If you're afraid for this country, why don't you move to China? They're plenty of jobs there, thanks to George Bush and the Republicans.

February 8, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. TESAP;SAVANNAH, GA

As far as the stimulus has eveyone checked their local government sites to see how much your state will receive?

No one knows if it will work or not, yet there lacks a serious effort on working together, I cannot believe a group of elected officials aren't AMERICAN enough to work together for a plan to help our country. Do we (the American people) need to start voting on such issues ourselves...

Sad.. Sad.. point in America.... how will this look in history books???

February 8, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  4. jerry

What is it with this GOP crowd? Have they still not gotten it that they LOST? Insane that John McCain is introducing bills for the stimulus bill HE thinks is right, when right up to the election he insisted "the fundamentals of the American economy are sound." And Cheney insisted to the end we're not in a recession! (Of course he may be right- this is now bordering on a depression!)

February 8, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  5. Dan, TX

Just take the money that was supposed to go to Alabama and give it to other republican controlled states (California and Florida) instead. California and Florida need the money, apparently Alabama does not.

February 8, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  6. Elizabeth in Texas

WHAT?? You want more time to say two words: tax cuts.

Tax cuts do not fix the problem. Sorry, princess, I don't think so.

February 8, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. arkebo

Where were these obstructionist Rebublicans when Bush was wreaking economy ? Now all of a sudden they have courage, what a joke. where were they at when Bush was spending A Trillion dollars in Iraq ?

February 8, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  8. obama all the way

the only thing that would make the republicans happy would be for President Obama to fail, they are so afraid his ideas will work, it seems they are stalling every thing they can, why don't they just get out of the way, it's time to put AMERICA FIRST, NOT OTHER COUNTRIES THAT HATE US, NOT BIG BANKS THAT USE US LIKE SLAVES, NOT OVER PAID CEOS THAT ONLY THINK OF THEIR SELVES.

February 8, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  9. cedgar

why are my comments not posted?

February 8, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. tracy

Don't you guys get tired of repeating over and over the "same tired arguements" of mean old republicans that don't care about anyone? And do you really believe that? If so, then you are beyond repair and we should just leave you be.

Does it not stand to reason that if EITHER party had all the right ideas, then they would NEVER have to give up control?? Neither party has all the answers, obviously since we go back and forth between parties. I know some of you may not realize that since you have just started to pay attention during the Obama campaign.

Maybe it is time to start throwing support behind the "independents" and get a blend of ideas. Oh, but that wouldn't be fun because we wouldn't be able to attempt to place SOLE blame on ONE person or party.

UGH, you people drive me crazy!

February 8, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  11. Goldn

I sent Congessman Reyes (D-Texas) a complaint letter about the economy. All that jeck did was send me his weekly newsletter that only puffed his @ss up and he never did have the nerve to even address my issue!

February 8, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  12. fearful for my country

What's the point? Obama is going to keep giving his rich buddies more and more taxpayer money and eventually China is going to say...no more. Time for us to collect or repossess. China doesn't allow it's citizen's to own firearms you know.

February 8, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  13. Clark

Won't all these bailouts and stimulus bills lead to high inflation. Won't this dramatically reduce the value of savings, retirement and Social Security moneys – meaning when I retire I really will have to struggle just to live. The tax and social security burden to those still working, plus the inflation, will make their earnings worth less also. So nobody comes out ok.

February 8, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  14. wheres my porkchop?

SheIby works for the japanese car companies,thats where he should move to. love to see Rushs teenybopper followers in agony .

February 8, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  15. DenverDem

GOP = OBSTRUCTIONISTS!!!!!

LET'S JUST CALL THEM WHAT THEY ARE... THEY HAVE NO NEW IDEAS, JUST THE SAME OLD TRICKLE DOWN IDEOLOGIES THAT GOT US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

THE GOP IS NOW JUST THE OP (OBSTRUCTIONIST PARTY).

SELFISH AND PATHETIC!

YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN REJECTED BY THE US CITIZENS! FALL IN LINE OR JUST GO AWAY!

February 8, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  16. bk

Not $1.00 to ACCORN! NO NO NO!

February 8, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. Han

Sen. Shelby, I appreciate your position and your opposition to this stimulus bill. We are all behind you. Barack Obama has to start discussions in a bipartisan way form the beginning. Otherwise our country will go to dire straits.Barack does not know what he is doing. He just wants us to get scared.

February 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. voter

the deomocrats should write the bill over. The bill is disappointing. cutting state aid, healthcare and education to make way for more failed tax cuts is not the answer. More money should be in programs that creat jobs. tax cuts does not create jobs. Get rid of them from the bill.

February 8, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Albo58

Sen. Shelby is absolutely right! This incredible mistake of a bill is only going to solve a down payment to political paybacks and NOT stimulate our economy at all. Whether it be Republicans or Democrats, all in the senate should vote nay on this crap bill and let's start all over!

February 8, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  20. Kevin Kranz

The Repugs are blithering idiots.................. go hang yourselves

February 8, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  21. Spitze

wow republicans should start over? I wonder if the democrats had much power to say things like that in the past decade of republican control?

February 8, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Kaye -Jacksonville FL

Shelby (and his nay-saying partisan cronies) should shut-the-hell-up.
    I have NEVER been so sick of the Republicans as I am right now...I almost can't wait for 2010 so we can get rid of some more. They are absolutely stuck in the right-wing muck that drove our country into the ditch...and they can't wait for the Obama administration to stumble or worse. Shelby, McConnell, Kantor, – all of them – disgusting! And Steele at the helm of the party – in the words of John Bohner – "OH MY GOD!!"

February 8, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  23. Hall for Obama

fearful for my country
    I have never heard Obama say he was going to give everyone who support him 2500.00. Why would he say that when he know he donot have the money to do it with. I am an Obama supporter I have always work for a living. I am glad I am able to take care of my self. Guess what, there are young people out there who are just getting start in life and they need some help. There are people who worked hard for their home and will loose them, not because they are lazy but because they got laid off and short work week and do not may enough money to meet their bills. I just hope you "fearful for my country" are not one of those people. I hope God bless you and keep you.

February 8, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  24. George Arlington, TX.

Shelby, should be striped of all his welth and he would understand the the WORKING person. I know it will not happen, There is always hope. Vo----te. Vo========te.

February 8, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  25. Scrub Rinse, Repeat

Senator Shelby is a traitor!

February 8, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |