February 9th, 2009

Florida gov. to join Obama at stimulus town hall

Gov. Charlie Crist was one of 19 governors, including four Republicans, to release a joint letter publicly urging Congress to to pass the president’s stimulus package.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Republican Florida Gov. Charlie Crist will introduce President Obama tomorrow at a Florida town hall meeting plugging the stimulus plan.

Crist was one of 19 governors, including four Republicans, to release a joint letter publicly urging Congress to to pass the president’s stimulus package — a move that earned him an appreciative phone call from Obama.

The Florida governor has said he wants to help Obama push for the measure. The bill is currently being considered by the Senate after failing to draw GOP support in the House.

“Florida has taken prudent steps to cut taxes for our people and balance our budget in these increasingly difficult times,” Crist said in a statement released by the White House Monday. “Any attempts at federal stimulus must prioritize job creation and targeted tax relief for small business owners. I am eager to welcome President Obama to the Sunshine State as he continues to work hard to reignite the US economy.”

Tuesday’s event in Fort Myers — the second of Obama’s stimulus town halls — will be held the same day the administration is slated to announce its economic recovery plan.

Filed under: Charlie Crist • President Obama • stimulus plan
  1. Gary

Gov. Christ and the other responsible Governors are looking at ways to cut spending and ride out a tough recession so that they can leave a stronger, healthier state for their children. Why should the Federal government be different? If we borrow the TARP and the stimulus money we'll be saddling our children with $1.5 trillion in additional debt. This is a problem both R- and D- parties have with spending more than we can afford. We need no stimulus. We need to cut spending, balance the budget, ride out the tough recession and we'll end up with gradual slow growth and a healthy economy based on real growth (not debt) for our children. Everyone needs to work harder, save more, conserve more etc. We can't keep taking the "easy' way out, someone sometime will have to face this national debt.

February 9, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  2. JS007

Christ realizes that being a part of (and getting some credit for) Obama's winning strategy is much better than obstructing progress and clinging on to failed ideology.

February 9, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  3. Taniel

Campaign Diaries just released detailed rankings of all 38 gubernatorial races, and Democrats will have A LOT of defending to do.

February 9, 2009 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. brenda

Joel Isaacson – So you want all the "bad" mortgages so these people will have no loans. What about the people who have struggled but paid their mortgages on time, cut back on their spending to meet these debts. Would their loans be paid off also. I'm a democrat but what you just proposed would reward those how got in over their head . I recently lost my job but my husband and I have cut WAY back and are able to meet our obligations. We aren't taking a nice vacation or buying a car this year. When I become employed again and AFTER we replenish some savings, then we will look at spending again. You would be surprised at how much people consume that is unnecessary. I know, I am living proof.

February 9, 2009 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  5. Darth Vadik, CA

The last 8 years, the Republicans have gone so off the deep end that when a Republican does something that makes sense, the first thing I say is what is he (she) up to?
    I hope Governor Christ is sincere.

By the way, I have heard Republicans talk about tax cut for years, no matter who gets a tax cut, its like blood in a water for a shark, but if you don't have a job and I don’t have a job, and you are paying 10% taxes and I'm paying 20%, we both pay the same amount and the gov't gets nothing.

By the way, I pay approximately 24-25% (avg) taxes, my cousin in England pays 22% (avg, I asked him to calculate it for me). But if he doesn’t buy his own health insurance, his gov’t provides him and his family, with one. But they pay 40% taxes there, oh sorry, that’s an old Republican myth (thanks Rush). Wait a minute, Canada does it too, so does France, Norway, Germany….

I get it, its about the freedom to BUY….
    …you people should really watch WALL-E

February 9, 2009 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  6. Proud American

Gov. Crist one of a few good Republicans. There is hope.

February 9, 2009 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  7. Darth Vadik, CA

You know what really sets me off,
    when people say we need to spend more so that the economy gets better.

I don't think any stimulus package will do much, maybe give us a bump, but that is it.

Because, the last 30 years, our economy has been based on BORROWING (loans, credit cards, etc etc), not production (we left that to outsourcing).

We need an attitude change. A whole new attitude. A whole new discipline.

February 9, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |