February 9th, 2009

Obama noncommittal on 'truth commission' proposal

WASHINGTON (CNN) – President Barack Obama said Monday he would examine a leading senator's plan to investigate allegations of wrongdoing against former Bush administration officials, but was "more interested in looking forward."

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vermont, the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, proposed a "truth and reconciliation commission" to investigate the Bush administration's approval of warrantless surveillance and "alternative" interrogation techniques, which critics have said amount to the torture of prisoners in U.S. custody.

Obama said "nobody is above the law," and that his administration would leave "no doubt" that the United States does not torture and follows the Geneva Conventions - "But generally speaking, I'm more interested in looking forward than looking backwards."

"I will take a look at Senator Leahy's proposal, but my general orientation is to say, 'Let's get it right moving forward,'" Obama said.

Filed under: Obama press conference
  1. sety

I agree with you, Mr. President. Please, moving forward is much better. e should be more concern how this country will regain its' glory again.

I will like to advise the President Obama to give money to the states where the Senators and Governors feel the stimulus is necessary. Those Senators and Governors who feel is not necessary should be left out.

I am very proud of President Obama. Excellent press conference today. Mr. President you did excellent.

February 10, 2009 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  2. Deb

Why would Obama seek to prosecute the Bush administration when he just dismissed charges against the accused killers of the USS Cole crew?

February 10, 2009 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  3. Lydia

I support President Obama in the investigation. Let's move forward!

February 10, 2009 12:21 am at 12:21 am |
  4. Bill

Agggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is there no accountability? Why? Why are people getting away with lies and war and crooked Wall Street. What is going on in this country where NOBODY HAS TO PAY FOR THEIR CORRUPTION?

February 10, 2009 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  5. Let's get Bush.....

Forget about the economy, Al Qaeda, Afghanistan, etc;,.......let's stop everything else and get Bush.

February 10, 2009 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  6. NoOneIsAboveWarCrimes

How can you and I tell our grand children that we are an honorable country, that we don't torture and that no one is above the law knowing what we know. How can we ignore what has happened over the past 8 years. How can we tell the truth when we know the truth.

February 10, 2009 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  7. Common Sense

Personally, I feel that people who comitted crimes in the dark should have to face the light of public scrutiny and take responsibility for their actions, good or bad.

However, I support my President. If it is best for the country to move forward, then let us do so.

February 10, 2009 01:02 am at 1:02 am |