February 9th, 2009

Obama stimulus plan survives key Senate vote

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Obama administration's $827 billion economic stimulus plan has survived a key vote in the Senate, putting a compromise version of the bill on track for passage Tuesday.

Filed under: President Obama • stimulus plan
  1. Cori

I can't wait to see what happens.

February 9, 2009 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  2. boered1

A step, albeit small, in the right direction. Soon we might actually be on the road to recovery! Now stand by for the radical religious rights cries of socialism and failure or the idea that if we jsut cut taxes or waited everything will be ok because in the other recessions this worked fine (only they were 5 to 11 months long this one is over 13 months and getting worse but hey facts have NEVER been important to the radical religious right.

Well we might have to wait a bit until the god of the radical religious right, Rush, makes his pronouncement so the rest can know what to think...

February 9, 2009 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. NoMo Bush

Take it to the people next time. Don't reach out to them at all, let them reach out to you. They don't like you anyway so you don't have to bow down to them at all. We will take care of them by voting them out of office and making them have to go out and find a job. YES WE DID

February 9, 2009 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. Justfied Cynic

Stupidity! Utter wreckless stupidity! With legislation and leaders like this, how can this country NOT be on its way to economic collapse?

February 9, 2009 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  5. Diane Dagenais Turbide

Congratulations! A compromised bill means democrats who promotes compromises should then vote for this new urgent bill because people are truly hurting every day.

February 9, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  6. mrrfstubbsjr

Sold out by three republicans who are closet liberals. They might as well caucus with the democrats. Well if they are going to vote like democrats
    then I might also when they run for re-election.

February 9, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  7. Steve

Good. Let this be the first nail in the coffin of Reaganomics.

And the Republicans calling for more tax cuts need to go see their shrinks. After all, one definition of insanity is "doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results".

February 9, 2009 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Phil of Colorado

BILKED again!

February 9, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. Carol Hines

I just don't get it. What does this stimulas package do for the unemployed, disabled, and retired? Don't we count? I read an article in an AARP publication that said although the "seniors" are upset about the "doughnut hole", the government can't afford to pay the $3 billion it would take to eliminate it. Unlike the banks and insurance companies, we would appreciate the help.

Caro Hines in AZ

February 9, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. BM

Governor Crist, I applaud you! You knew what a jerk John McCain was . You realized that he does not put country first. He is only concerned with the rich getting richer. For someone who doesn't remember how many houses he has when people are losing the only one they have; he could care less about the little man. I couldn't understand Obama courting him because he wanted the presidency and did everything in his power to win. Now he is doing everything to see that he blocks everything he attempts to do. He is a viper!

February 9, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Sniffit

Suck it GOPers! You see that? It says "the Obama administration's," not "the GOP's" stimulus plan. Get used to it. He owns this and YOU for the next 4 years.

February 9, 2009 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  12. Simmy

Let's get it done!

February 9, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. Change is coming!

Yeah! get it done as Americans are suffering!!!!!

February 9, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  14. clfelton

Unless the plan includes them sending me check with my name on it to pay the mortgage I don’t care. I work 40 hrs a week and looking for a second job, so if they want to help me send me the check and let me pay who I want to pay than maybe I can replace the car for my family that was total sing mother of 5. other than that It is the same old back door dealings.

February 9, 2009 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  15. Rick Roberts

GOP, don't let Obama go to the people. If he get's with HIS PEOPLE you will lose. I voted for Obama and I can tell you that he will eat your shorts. Let the man do what he promised he would do, then if he fails, in a few short years you can vote him out.
    I am an independant and will vote for whomever I belive will do the best for the country.

February 9, 2009 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  16. BM

Where were all these Republicans during the bailout? McCain wanted to cancel his campaign to get to Washington to vote to fix the economy, but now he wants to vote "NO" Give me a break! However Bush was in office then and he supported Bush more so than not. McCain is a joke, not a maverick!

February 9, 2009 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  17. Mississippi Mike

Let's all hope that Republicans and Blue Dog Democrats come to their senses and reject this bloated do-nothing spending bill. I am very upset that they feel so free to spend my money on junk projects with such amazing haste.

February 9, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  18. Deborah

This is Extreme Taxation without Representation!

Boston Tea Party anyone?

February 9, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  19. Virginia Blue Veterans

I don't understand why this is taking as long as it is. These same people didn't take this long to decide whether to send our young troops into war with Iraq, for a 'might have' WMDs.

Time to invest in America. Time to fix our bridges and our levees, and become energy independent.

Who else is going pay for it?

February 9, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  20. Love My Prez

In the end, Obama will get what he wants because the people are behind him.

Obama 2012

February 9, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  21. rick

about time

February 9, 2009 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. Ken

This is not going to be a good thing. Plus it will not work to get us out of this recession.

February 9, 2009 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  23. Robin, Tampa Fl

That is good news. I just emailed my congressman and senator to vote yes to the final bill.

February 9, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. Mike Dallas

Who needs to worry about foreign Islamic terrorists coming to our shores to destroy America, we have republicans hell-bent on doing the same, but from the inside.

As stated by Lush himself who "wants Obama to fail".

Lindsey Graham a repub was ranting that the Senate group of 11 Dems and 5 Repubs in a closed door meeting distresses him and if that is bi_partisanship he wants no part of it.

Good Senator Graham, because you will NOT be included you neo-cons repubs had your chance and you sat in the corner pouting and sucking your thumb, mumbling "tax breaks" for the rich, so the adults had to step in and do it without you.

Remember the RNC head Steele said 'bipartisanship is overrated" and now the Dems agree with Steele

February 9, 2009 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  25. Robin

Sniffit,

He does not "own" me. This plan has great potential to fail, and if it does, WE, as in the American People, will be paying the price.

You Libs got your wish. I hope it does not crash and burn.

February 9, 2009 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |