February 9th, 2009

Obama: This 'wasn't how I envisioned my presidency' beginning

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Barack Obama told reporters that pushing for a $800 billion stimulus plan to pump up the ailing economy was not the way he envisioned he would begin his term in the White House.

"Look, I would love not to have to spend money right now. I'd love - you know, this notion that somehow I came in here just ginned up to spend $800 billion... that wasn't how I envisioned my presidency beginning. But we have to adapt to existing circumstances," President Obama told reporters at his prime time news conference at the White House.

Filed under: Obama press conference
  1. karin

i cannot believe how wonderful it was to see a president talking so intelligently as well as coherent. wow. i was very impressed with his grasp of the facts. finally, a president with a brain.

February 9, 2009 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  2. jm

yah we understand because bush messed up the economy for 8yrs ,so you ought to do something to save the mess created by bush.we all behind you,way to go coz i need ajob really bad

February 9, 2009 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  3. Proud Democrat who is against this Stimulus

Adapting is OKAY but we have to think SMART and this STIMULUS BILL IS NOT SMART.

Mr. President we want you to succeed but we will not continue to support political agendas over the American people.

We need a Stimulus Bill that is focused on helping the Housing crisis and providing us more jobs.....but it has to be done smartly. We need to ensure we are focusing on maximum number of jobs per dollar spent.

A few jobs for millions of dollars spent is not acceptable!

Go back and re-work this Stimulus so that it focuses on Americans and not political agendas and pet projects!!!

February 9, 2009 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  4. aliou

iT IS BUSH AND REPUBLICANS WHO PUT OUR PRESIDENT AND OURSELVES IN THIS BIND.

February 9, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. Robert

This president is way does not understand anything

February 9, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. ROCHELLE

I think that President Obama did a wonderful job in showing how bad the situation of these United States of America is in. The Republicans had better get on the ball and save us from a fallout, letdown (again) and a meltdown. People are already killing themselves, stealing from one another and killing other people just to save themselves and eat. I work at an elementary school and one of the bus drivers was killed by her boyfriend that she was trying to get away from. He wanted to stay in her home with her and her children and give nothing and she wanted him out and he killed her. A man killed himself, his wife and 5 children just last week. The world is getting very afraid and you'd better do something about it.

February 9, 2009 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Dave

Externalities, Mr. President. That, and bureaucracy. Change takes time, and for what you offer, we have to get through this hurdle and get moving. Its only been 3 weeks, and you can't get stuff done THAT quickly.

But I believe it will get done...be patient.

February 9, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  8. J. Auld

By no means do I want to downplay the wars the U.S. finds itself involved in. However, if something is not done soon to provide relief to the working American, we will see more wars happening in our back yards. I am one of the millions of Americans facing a job loss within the next 30 days. My family has also been the victim of two house break-ins recently. Crime in our neighbor as well as other neighbors is on the rise.

The issues we are facing in our economy are very serious. It is only now that others are able to see what a large percentage ofAfrican-Americans have had to deal with for years.

February 9, 2009 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Dodie from Irvine, California

We need to CHANGE our stragety! We need to STOP giving banks and wall street monies that they frivolously waste! All banks that need large sums of handouts need to be federalized!

WE NEED TO START A (((( FEDERAL BANK )))) that is regulated by the government for “we the people’s” best interest by lowering mortgage interest rates and for small businesses

February 9, 2009 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  10. jaye

I have omplete trust and faith in President Obama, and so does millions of others.

February 9, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  11. Kris in Milwaukee

It's clear to me that President Obama has the interests of the People at heart first and foremost. And the majority of the people know that. I feel strongly that, whether or not the Republicans want to come along or choose to shoot themselves in the foot, the nation should support the President's stimulus package.

February 9, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  12. JJ Young

I have followed the President and the stimulus bill process since the beginning. He and his administration have done their best to provide the leadership in this, along with all the other highly charged isues on his plate. I am no economist nor am I a national security expert. I am a mom and grandmother who, based on this President's intellect, caring and sense of fairplay believes with every fiber of my being that he will do his utmost to take care of me, my family and the United States. Well done, Mr. President.

February 9, 2009 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  13. Clara Murrels

I cannot tell you in words, how blessed this nation is to have a careing President like Obama. I am a senior, and I want to see change come before I hit the dust. I favor this news conference 100%. He is stressing and doing all he can after-all he can't walk on water. We need to all pitch in go green, go whatever so we can all live happy in United States, and get back on track. I pray that the GOP will back Mr Obama on this stimulus packages, there just is no other way to get around it. I have to pay an arm and a leg just to keep my health insurance in force, and I'm on a fixed uncome. Thank You President Obama we pray and wish you well.

February 9, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  14. Kyle Mahoney in Tennessee

Every American knew that this wasn't how anyone wanted to start this presidency after George W. Bush. But we can't do anything about that. In fact, He knew what he was inheriting, so deal with it.

February 9, 2009 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  15. patricia martens

President Obama was very clear in his comments tonight – the country is in a deep crisis. The President, the democrats, and the
    American people all know this – what is wrong with the republicans?
    Do they really think we (the people) are going to put up with tax cuts for the rich and big business while we are losing our jobs, our homes, our savings?

February 9, 2009 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  16. Dodie from Irvine, California

RESOULTON TO OUR ECONOMIC ISSUE:

1. CREATE A FEDERAL BANK OR FEDERALIZE ALL BANKS THAT REQUIRE BAILOUT $ BILLIONS TO DECREASE INTEREST RATES FOR MORTAGES AND SMALL BUSINESS LOANS

2. CREATE JOBS REPAIRING OUR INTRASTRUCTURE.

WE DO NOT NEED $800 BILLION TO ACCOMPLISH THIS.

February 9, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  17. Griff

No! But that is the way it will end,, "The One" . Soon became "The Gone".... Don't come back...... Satan...

February 9, 2009 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  18. mark from wv

when will those morons in dc quit playing the politic game,i honestly think pres obama has the best interest of the voter in mind while the same old good ole boys wants to keep playing their game,is obama the only one in dc who actually cares about the taxpayer and this country

February 9, 2009 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  19. Laura Santos

Presibent Obama is Amerian people's greatest hope and he is doing a superb job! Any Repubs that can't be a team member and cross the aisle for the sake of their people they represent should resign pronto!!

February 9, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  20. Proud Democrat who is against this Stimulus

It wasn't how we envisioned it either....

This Stimulus is not helping those of us that need it most. It's only helping the rich and your political allies.

Stop wasting our money

February 9, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  21. Justified Cynic

It was the OPPOSITION that he didn't envision. He thought the next four years was going to be just like the last four months. NOT!! Keep up the heat, Republicans and talk radio.

February 9, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  22. robyncaffrey keyser west virginia

att mr president '
    lolololool u sounded like u' " " ' put them in there place.) lololoolo lol is " lot's of laugh

( remember ) yes we can u did'nt become president for nothing. yes we can

February 9, 2009 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  23. katiec

Our President has had the weight of the world put on his shoulders.
    There are so many diasters out there to be resolved, we must all stand behind him and be his strenght and support for success.
    Changes are going to take time, so we must be patient and let him know we have faith in him and his decisions.

February 9, 2009 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  24. Honesty is best policy

I am a citizen who heard him say that he wanted congress to have a bill ready for his signature when he got into office. I heard him with my own ears. That was before he ever went into office. And now he is saying he didn't want to have to make this big bill for signing!

I don't have selective hearing, Mr. President. I bet the rest of america doesn't either.

Be honest.

February 9, 2009 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  25. Death of America by Obama

you are such a liar. You knew the first thing you would do is get as much money as possible. Do you really think that everyone in this country is as stupid as those who voted for you. WRONG.

February 9, 2009 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |