February 10th, 2009

Senate passes $838 billion stimulus bill

GOP Sens. Arlen Specter and Susan Collins say the final bill won't have their support if it is drastically different.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Senate voted 61-37 to approve President Barack Obama's proposed $838 billion economic stimulus bill Tuesday.

The measure will now have to be reconciled with an $819 billion version the House of Representatives passed on January 28.

Full story

Filed under: economic stimulus • Senate
  1. Mari

********PLEASE POST CNN**********
    THANKS TO THE **61*** SENATORS THAT VOTED FOR THE BILL!

There are the typical far-right-ignorant comments here!

TYPICAL of the far-right to cry "communists" or "socialism!" That's an old ploy to scare people!

How is rebuilding our infrastructure and putting people back to work socialism??????

How is rebuilding schools, modernizing them socialism?????

IF the construction worker has a job, then the diner down the street has a customer for lunch, and Starbuck's a customer for coffee; and the construction workers wife can shop at Target; and the employee at Target has a job..... and SO ON!

WHAT IS WRONG about the far-right, is that they have blinders on! They refuse to SEE the TRUTH, about Bush & Co.!

@ TED........ "God help my children..." well, sir, IF we do not stimulate the economy, and put people back to work YOUR children and MINE will be doomed with the MOUNTAIN OF DEBT LEFT BY BUSH!

THINK AMERICA! Do not let the AM radio-haters-and-fear-mongers do your thinking for you! READ THE BILL for yourself.

February 10, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  2. Ex-Republican Gal

It's a shame they took out the money for education but any bill at this point is better than no bill. I hope 2010 becomes the extinction of the Republican Party as we know it. Their behavior and actions have been inexcusable.

February 10, 2009 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  3. Debi

The Republicans eat their own.
    The 3, count them a TOTAL of 3, republicans that voted for this bill will not longer be allowed in the republican caucus.

Let's all work together to completely eliminate the republican caucus. Maybe we can become a nation with a 2 party system in which one party does not eat their own.

Thank you to the 3 that stood up for America, instead of following Rush – the "leader" of your party.

February 10, 2009 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  4. Jersey Girl

It is time this government decide it they were elected for the Republicans or Democrats or for the people. They need to work together to provide for the people who put them there. A reality check is needed by most of them since they cannot related to what we the hard working families go through daily. President Obama inherited this situation from the Republicans who spent every cent they could and now that Obama is in charge they want 'NO Spending', were they all asleep while Bush was spending billions in IRAQ, etc? I have one suggestion for President Obama, please get the credit score companies to remove Foreclosure from anyone who fell into this situation within the last 2 years as it prevents them from getting an apartment which is where they will have to live now that they have no home. This will help the average individual.

February 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  5. Virginia

To John: "Party's over, I hope". I hope so too and that NOBAMA loses in 2012. He won't be able to raise enough money from his elitist friends to buy his way out of this mess he has just created. But then, he doesn't have to worry about how he will feed his kids, clothe them, or get them to school because WE PAY for that!!! Lucky man, eh???

February 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  6. Marshall

Please let me know how this money is going to be spent. I hate blank checks.

February 10, 2009 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  7. Wonder if I can do the same?

Hell, if I have debt, I wonder if I can free up some money short term by putting my utilities, car payment, whatever else on my credit card for the next 12 months to free up cash in the short term. I'm sure that will make everything better....am I correct Libs? This black hole bill goes against every sound economic principle ever studied. My poor grandkids will be paying for this monetary folly. Fools.

February 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  8. lr

I am not sure if this really will help. But then, what would? I am not an economist. I heard Romney is pretty good in economy.
    Spending never helped. It depends how they will spend it, to whom, and how it will be monitored, controlled. It is scary to spend that much....

February 10, 2009 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  9. groidslayer

AHHH YEEESSSS!

and the stock market responded like a falling rock.....nice move BO and the rest of the tards that voted for it.

February 10, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  10. Eldridge Cleever

This is insane. We are doomed!...www.buckfarack.org!

February 10, 2009 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. southerncousin

Did you notice how the elitists sterotype those who oppose their crap as "trailer trash" or "bigots." They are truly the scum of the earth.

February 10, 2009 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  12. Fan of Common Sense

THIS IS A CRIME!!

February 10, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  13. Jim

This is not a bandaid. It is a blatant spending bill that will do nothing to help this economy in any manner. I read some of the posts here and it is plain to see the majority of the people in this country are blind, deaf and dumb. You are all looking for a bail out that now is looking like it will reach more than 3.5Trillion dollars before it is even close to over.

This country cannot afford it.

February 10, 2009 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  14. jrzshor

yeah

let govt do what all govt's do best.

spend someone else's money!

yeah!

February 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  15. Peering over the edge

Doesn't an act of failure also lead to catastrophe?

February 10, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  16. Allan Maltby

I am proud of our new President. Not only does he bring a Spirit of Hope to the office of the Presidency; but he brings Honesty and Decency. It certainly couldn't hurt; it hasn't been tried YET.

February 10, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  17. jrzshor

to debby who wrote "Trump agreed with Obama's plan. Didn't he go bankrupt????"

as he would say, No, not personal bankruptcy. however, his casinos on the other hand were "bailed out by the banks".

so he has personal knowledge of millionaries being bailed out.

February 10, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |