February 10th, 2009

Senate passes $838 billion stimulus bill

GOP Sens. Arlen Specter and Susan Collins say the final bill won't have their support if it is drastically different.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Senate voted 61-37 to approve President Barack Obama's proposed $838 billion economic stimulus bill Tuesday.

The measure will now have to be reconciled with an $819 billion version the House of Representatives passed on January 28.

Full story

Filed under: economic stimulus • Senate
  1. Franky

I gotta say guys, you know Shepard Smith?? You know, from Fox News? You know, I was browing the channels...well, actually people were and I know Shepard had his own show and so forth and I gotta say, I remember watching him when I was a shorty...we go WAY BACK! Him and Bill O'Reilly, boy, they bring me back old memories. That is crazy, a young kid watching Bill and Shepard...what were my parents thinking?? LOL!!

For the record, if you get a chance, tell Shepard and Bill they are always one of the boys, we go WAY back...only them because we are tight, we are tight...

February 10, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. frank chase

The repugnicans will be responsible for bankrupting the nation and sending America into the dark ages. They have spent more than 1 trillion dollars in the last eights year. How dare they says the stimulus is wasteful spending. They would rather bankrupt the nation than save the nation. So much for patriotism from them repugs.

February 10, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  3. aware

I listened to POTUS very carefully, and what did I hear?

*The democrats don't want to end this economic downturn quickly.

*They want to create more "moral hazard" very similar to the housing debacle that created this mess in the first place!

*They want to dribble out bucks to entice people to again make unwise spending choices instead of paying down their debts and saving.

*Why? They want people to get people used to depending on Uncle Sam to provide for them. Gradually they would have us accept cradle to grave government dependence/control!

Well America is this the change you believe in?

February 10, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. ron

The only thing that we can hope for is that soon all these aging neo-cons will no longer have the capicity to voice their opinions and let the rest of us move to a more peaceful, prosperous world.

You lost your right to an opinion. Tickle-down has been proven wrong, Reagan (buffoon) is dead.

February 10, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. TjayeInLA

Val in MA....you are always welcome to go home.

February 10, 2009 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. aware

I listened to POTUS very carefully, and what did I hear?

*The democrats don't want to end this economic downturn quickly.

*Why? They want people to get used to depending on Uncle Sam to provide for them. Gradually they would have us accept cradle to grave government dependence/control! :(

Well America is this the change you believe in?

February 10, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  7. Larry-Kernersville, NC

The former Soviet Union citizen can head back to Russia since he no longer believes in America. And while he's at it pleaase take the "no longer relevant" Republican party. Same message for the last 50 years, cut taxes. The RP policies put the country in this fix and all we hear from Republican talking heads are the same old, tired, and worn failure policies of the past. If anything the President and Democratic Party is attempting to fix and leave a future for our kids. So I say lump the RP, the wall street bankers, Fox and O'Reilly, and Russ; they all can go elsewhere since all they talk about is potential failure. At lease 3 Republican had the "agnst" to side with the President to try getting the economy moving...they understand bi-partinship. It mean "for the good of the country". 37 senators and 219 congress men/women forgot that they're representing folks that are hurting.

February 10, 2009 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  8. Jo from Minnesota

President Obama is doing a great job. All posters who saying "OMG we are becoming a socialist country" are WAY overreacting. Get a grip - our President is trying to reverse a recession before it becomes a depression. As far as people who are suddenly worried about the deficit - you should have been just as worried 6 months ago as GWB already ran it up huge paying for his war and tax cuts for his rich friends. President Obama is showing leadership needed to get us on our way out of this mess.

February 10, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Zealot B. Gone

Well Brian...so the Bible is your guide to all things financial ? Be still and silent? Oh yeah...the Bible is a great guide...Well, I hope you're not wearing that WWJD poly-blend T-shirt because you know that is prohibited ...Leviticus 19:19 reads, "You are to keep My statutes. you shall not wear a garment upon you of two kinds of material mixed together." Let's all try to keep church and state seperate shall we?...after all the Constitution is not nearly as bizarre as the Bible.

February 10, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  10. Charlize

GREAT!!!! Republicans are TRE ONLY PARTY guilty of the economic disaster. GOOD THING three honest reps voted yes. All the other CROOK/THIEVES voted no, because they wanted to rather use the money in the package for earmarks in their states,where they could easily steal it. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE; THEY JUST CARE FOR STEALING AND STEALING, TO ENRICH THEMSELVES, AS THEY DID WHEN BUSH WAS IN POWER, at the expense of honest taxpayers.All those republican thieves who voted no (both congressmen and senators), will sure rot in hell, and they deserve it, they have to pay for every single person they have made miserable (millions of people)..

February 10, 2009 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  11. barack obama is still just B.O.

Dimocrats are idiots!
    Bye bye america.

If anyone of my state senators are one of the 61, I will do everything in my power to stop their re-election.

February 10, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. arithmetic is liberal

I love it when people talk about "pork" in a bill, but DON'T HAVE ANY IDEA WHAT PORK MEANS...

Gotta love GOP talking points.

February 10, 2009 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  13. frank

The banks, CEOs, and the well-to-do and connected have been benefiting from socialism, now it time for the little people to benefit.

February 10, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  14. John

Q: What do Republicans call spending hundreds of billions in Iraq?

A: War on Terror

Q: What do Republicans call spending hundreds of billions in the US?

A: Pork

February 10, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  15. Florida John

I will give money to any conservative running against these nuts.......

February 10, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  16. Kat

The economy will not fix itself. Giving tax cuts to the rich will not fix the economy. We have to do something and this man our new president is working his behind off to try to fix the mess that was left to him. Please allow him to try to help us and our country.

February 10, 2009 02:06 pm at 2:06 pm |
  17. Pat W.

The truth is nobody knows exactly what can save our economy at this point. The stimulus package is scary because it will add to our already mind-numbing federal deficit. On the other hand, we need to do something to stop the hemmoraging of jobs.
    Regardless of my reservations about the stimulus package, I do have confidence in President Obama. Unlike his predecessor–who should be jailed for life for his arrogance and criminal stupidity–Obama is a very intelligent , courageous man who is committed to trying to sort out the awful mess he has inherited. We are lucky to have him working for us.
    My question to all the armchair quarterbacks who are so ready to criticize Obama: What are you personally doing to restore the country? I know what I am doing. I am supporting my neighbors who own small businesses. I'm actively working to find and purchase American-made products instead of Chinese goods. I'm working to increase my recycling. I will also be thinking about how I can add to these activities because I know it's not enough. But it is a start.
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO TRY TO REBUILD OUR COUNTRY?

February 10, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  18. Agnus

Americans are so stupid. As I recall, a young lady in another country said that we were stupid and she is correct. Since we are so smart , why is it that this country is going to pot. We are one of the most educated countries in the world, but we have a lot of idiots. Americans believe in placing the blame on others when things aren't going right. Obama didn't bring on this mess and he can't fix it. Until the people of this great country wake up, we are stupid and will remain stupid. What a bunch of idiots. God help us all.

February 10, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  19. change in America

We must vote the Republican out of the office I want congrats President Obama and Demoncrates party and the 3 Republicans because American people are suffering....McCain is awful he does not stand for American people.

Good Job President Obama

February 10, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  20. Capital Insider

I hate to say it, but as a Democrat who voted for Obama I am not for this stimulus plan. This plan not only puts our country further in debt, but lines the pockets of some of the Senators who are campaigning so heavily for it. Geitner said this bill is going to really cost us 1 trillion! 1 Trillion! Without any real movement to withdrawal us from Iraq and putting more people into Afghanistan is going to only add to our National Debt.

Obama, you HAVE to VETO this bill. Don't let the liberal left Michael Reid and Nancy Pelosi hold you hostage. They are going to take you down if you keep pandering to them and the Unions. We voted for you! Not the idiots in Congress. Please don't let them drive the Country intot the ground.

For all of you who are saying Republicans are to blame for this, they have no control over the bill. The bill will get through and we need our President to Veto it...this is the wrong move.

February 10, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  21. Dorothy in NC

It may not be perfect and there may be some glitches and everyone will have something to say but thank you Mr President for at least trying to get this country moving again. We have spent so many years and so much money rebuilding Iran, why weren't the republicans scrutinizing every little dime on that.
    It is just a sickening shame that President Obama has to start his presidency with a trillion dollar deficit and a country dying.
    I don't know of another President that had such a miserable mess that hew inherited except maybe FDR.
    I am praying for you President Obama that you can shake the h... out of Washington and let them know they all work for the people, not themselves.

February 10, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  22. Rick

Just wondering how all of the opposition party is feeling about all of thier talk during the campaign about being bipartisan and thier willingness to reach across the aisle to do whatever it takes to fix America. Three of them, cout them 1,2,3, in the senate voted for this crucial package, what is it that they are trying to prove?

February 10, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  23. TjayeInLA

Funny how these same Republicans have no problem with the $9 Billion spent monthly in Iraq. Guess what...that is why need to have this stimulus bill. You don't mind spending money to kill, but heaven forbid we spend money to get people jobs.

February 10, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  24. Leo D, PA

"Another day older, and deeper in debt". Will the Bad Banks Bailout be
    like the original Stimulus Bill , back in September of $56 Billion, that
    escalated to the $838 Billion Plan? If the new administration is smart;
    they will show the public that they are fiscally responsible for limiting
    the remaining TARP Fund, to not overspending taxpayer money. This
    should also include the Housing problem, and aid to Small Business.
    The "light at the end of the tunnel" can be brighter, with public input.

February 10, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  25. Vicki Yates

Please publish the names of everyone who voted for this barrel. I intend to take names this time, so that I know who to campaign against in the next election. D.C. and Hollywood must speak another language than the average American. They don't seemed to have a clue why we voted against the Republicans in this past election.

February 10, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |