February 10th, 2009

Senate passes $838 billion stimulus bill

GOP Sens. Arlen Specter and Susan Collins say the final bill won't have their support if it is drastically different.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Senate voted 61-37 to approve President Barack Obama's proposed $838 billion economic stimulus bill Tuesday.

The measure will now have to be reconciled with an $819 billion version the House of Representatives passed on January 28.

Full story

Filed under: economic stimulus • Senate
  1. Womack in FL

I guess Ponzi schemes are legal after all.

After all, if you are the President nothing is illegal.

February 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  2. Mike in Fairfax

@Joyce...

That's what one of the Republican Senators presented in an amendment last Friday. It was blocked by the Democrats. Seemed like a good idea to me, but then, I'm just an Independent so what do I know.

February 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  3. Danny in Chicago

If this turns out to help the country AT ALL – all of you people trying to fight this bill need to be rode out on a rail!

You obstructionists did NOTHING to help the country out in a very serious time of need. You did nothing.....get it??? Not one single thing, but get in the way. If you're proud of that – so be it, but if this turns out to be a good thing then you people need to shut your frickin piehole and go back to the hole that you live in!

God how I wish the people who complained about this package didnt get any of the money from it. Those people don't deserve ANY HELP AT ALL!

Thank you to the three (the only three) good Republicans who helped get this country through this tough time and even though I never say this – I hope you three get re-elected.

Screw the rest of you Republicans.......

February 10, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  4. emtpjill

The Republicans JUST DON'T GET IT! Their candidate was thrown out of office because of the intense dislike for their agenda, ooops, I mean policies. I just hope they keep up their usual repugnant policies that got us into this mess then we can look forward to an even greater Democratic majority in the Congress and Senate.

February 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  5. Mary from Kentucky

The Rep. are stalling, they want us to think they care about use . they don't know what the american people want. They haven"t ask us not me any way. I hope the president Veto the whole da......n thing.

February 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  6. Sniffit

Hey GOPers...just let us know when your'e ready to put on your big boy pants and act like adults...we'll wait. Better hurry though, I heard 2010 is an election year.

February 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  7. quick

Bye-bye USA, I pray for the president everyday and hope we don't go into a civil war again,but it sure sounds like it,people don't undersatand what they did,he wants to keep people poor so they'll keep a D party of the gov for the gov and by the Gov.,welfar ect,wake up people..

February 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  8. Loyal Democrat in MD

About time!
    Where is the bipartisanship, repugs??

February 10, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  9. Sammy

Republicans should shot-up instead of obstructing proposals Obama and the Democrats are putting forward. They (the republicans) have been in that position for the past eight years and put this country in this present mess. There are no sensible proposals they can bring to the table except tax cuts which do not make any sense. They are also now talking about bipartisanship which they forgot when they controlled the House of Congress and the Senate.

February 10, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  10. Josh In Austin

I would also like to say to all the adults here, because i'm 17: Thank you for the new debt you are sending us on top of what we already have, because you want temporary relief. Both Bush and Obama are doofuses, and don't care for the future generation. Change I don't trust in.

February 10, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  11. JJ

I would like to know why the Republicans are so much against this bill when they had to problems with the spending when Bush was in office. I think that in order for something to fail you have to give it a try. Now put money in a person hand and they will spend it and I mean the same day they get it, with a blink of an eye.

February 10, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  12. JSU-TIGER99

GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now we can see some kind of change come and help those who need help.. Do you think the will give me at least $1 million of it, They say it is tax payer money and I pay my taxes on time..

February 10, 2009 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  13. Sniffit

@ aware, who said "I can't believe the majority of Americans will continue to fall for the obfuscating rhetoric of the arrogant Obama! "

More proof you people are completely unaware of the irony of your statements. Obama gave one of the clearest, most explicit and honest press conferences we've seen from a president in half a century, while the GOPers were busy repeat "tax cuts" and "socialism" as nauseum and yet he's the one you claim to be obfuscating. Sigh. I had really hoped the GOP would act to save itself...debate and competition beget progress...but you guys just do NOT get it.

February 10, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  14. Frank C.

IF THIS STIMULUS BILL BRINGS JOBS AND HOPE, IT WILL BE THE END OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY. WHAT ARE THEY THINKING. SO FULL OF HATE. THAT IS ALL I HERE FROM THEM. WHY"""

February 10, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  15. Debby

Greta, Hannity got it right. Trump agreed with Obama's plan. Didn't he go bankrupt????

February 10, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  16. Griff

"We will not be moved on this Package." "We will be trampled."..

February 10, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  17. JJ12345

Something definitely needs to be done but this is not it. Tax credits can help to an extent, there does need to be money invested into creating jobs. Unfortunantely, Pelosi hijacked the bill and it reads like payback to supporters. Additionally there is too much in it that wont even be spent or take effect for several years and yes there are pet projects. Not saying that they are not worthy of funding but they should be addressed throught the appropriations process. This bill needs to be strictly for job creation and economic stimulus.

I also keep hearing that repubs are evil for not voting for it, people should do some research since some dems in the house voted against it as well. People need to stop listening to Olbermann, Matthews, Rush and Hannity. Do the legwork and make up your own mind. There are so many on here that use sound bites from the talking heads it borders on a sickness.

February 10, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  18. Virginia

Well, I have my toilet lid up with ALL my money in my hand, ready to flush it before the government gets it all!!! We think we can't eat now-we got another thing coming!!! Suckers all.

February 10, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  19. Teresa

Yea!!! At least 3 Rep senators were willing to work on a compromise!!!

February 10, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  20. Sniffit

@ aware, who said " can't believe the majority of Americans will continue to fall for the obfuscating rhetoric of the arrogant Obama! "

While you were in the dictionary looking up the word "obfuscate," did you happen to come across a definition for "hypocrisy" too? Might want to check that one out.

February 10, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  21. Al

In 2010, everyone PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE vote for Republican congressional condidates. In 2012, PLEASE vote for the Republican presidential candidate. Stop the liberal madness!!!!!!!

February 10, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  22. I VOTE

Question? The Republican Governors and Mayors are asking for the money included in the bill NOW but are afraid to say they support the plan or demand their Republican Reps and Senators to vote in favor of stimulis plan?????? Can't have it both ways.

February 10, 2009 02:30 pm at 2:30 pm |
  23. John

We have a President and a majority of Democrats in Congress trying to fix the mess that was left by the Bush Administration and all the republicans can do is obstruct.

Who are the real Americans in this country?

February 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  24. Simmy

God is good!

My, My; I pray the evil flying from that other blog is not contagious! Republicans: Seek help! You people are in need of an intervention. Please don't come on here calling yourselves Christians, because God is Love; and you all are full of hate. Stop the hate – celebrate.

February 10, 2009 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  25. Liz T, Tucson

The amounts in the pie charts are different from the ones in the headlines. Which is it, CNN?

February 10, 2009 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |