February 10th, 2009

Senate passes $838 billion stimulus bill

GOP Sens. Arlen Specter and Susan Collins say the final bill won't have their support if it is drastically different.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - The Senate voted 61-37 to approve President Barack Obama's proposed $838 billion economic stimulus bill Tuesday.

The measure will now have to be reconciled with an $819 billion version the House of Representatives passed on January 28.

Full story

Filed under: economic stimulus • Senate
  1. cmoore

God help us all

February 10, 2009 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  2. Susan in SC

Sea.gem – dude! Acorn and Obama forced banks to give bad loans to consumers? Really? How exactly did President Obama (then a senator) and Acorn (a voter registration group) force the huge banking industry to give those loans? More importantly, WHO forced the consumers to take the crap loans? The consumers who wanted a house they could not afford, paid only interest on their loans, or underestimated George Bush's ability to drain the American coffers?

Also, I have not seen the Rupublicans coming up with any ideas other than tax cuts. Bush has been there, done that, and the recession has only deepened. Hoover did that too. What happened? Oh yes, the great depression. And guess what? More people are out of work today that during the great depression!! More than 1Mil+.

This has not been a bipartisan effort because the Rupublicans chose to block progress in the name of party politics instead of helping America recover. I for one am tired of their failure attitudes. Thank God for the three who care more for country than party!!

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  3. Byrd

to the 30% of america that does not support this plan/too bad...who cares what you think because the other 70% of america that wants us to move forward will support obamma on this...and years from now dont jump on the bandwagon if this plan works

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  4. Mike, Syracuse NY

Those bashing Republicans should look at what's in the bill first. Pelosi created a monster that only spends about 10%-15% of the money this year. True the Republicans forced $100 billion of pork out of the Senate version, but in Conference the Dems will probably put it back in. The fact that the stock market tanked after hearing geitner's plans should tell you where we really stand with this plan.

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  5. karen-Phoenix

Thank you to the three Republican senators!!!! Americans out of work thank you!!!!(and that is getting to be most of us!) You three will probably beable to retain your jobs but for the rest of the republicans, you are a dying group of dinasours!!!! (and I'm an OLD republican, but no more!!)

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  6. Chuck

The three Senators that voted for this bill were only doing the job their public expects of them. All that have opposed this bill are the ones that are loosers. Come next election they should be put out on the street. The only problem is they get to keep their WAR CHEST'S.

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  7. Angie in Pa

Republicans the Country has spoke the Pubilc is in favor of this now Republicans you either Jump on board Come along or you can stay behind with Limbaugh and become Extinct. Congrats President Obama!

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  8. Ryan

I'm more fearful of Republicans than Al Qaeda.

February 10, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  9. mark

To the 3 Republican senators who made this possible: What the hell were you thinking? I mean seriously, $837 BILLION! Are you kidding me? We counted on you to stay strong and you caved. The party said NO! There was a better plan. It's not obstructionism if you’re right and their wrong. It's not obstructionism if the plan is stupid. YOU BLEW IT!

February 10, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  10. Scott L

@ROBERT IN RALEIGH

This is the SECOND STIMULUS package that has gone out. In fact technically it is the THIRD! They did stimulus checks last year that did ZERO. REMEMBER?

Then they did the bank bailout 4 months ago! 4 months ago $335 billion and that did absolutely NOTHING.

So don't tell me that we have done NOTHING to date. They did those things before AND THEY FAILED MISERABLY.

Go on, protect your precious Obama and Pelosi. He is not my president. And for the record, neither was Bush.

February 10, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  11. Lee

great post STEVE

February 10, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  12. selfish hypocrits piss me off

@ southerncousin @ 1:04pm

Oh, you mean "the children" you loved before they were born and now couldn't care less about?

February 10, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  13. Jen

@Jaye...I meet all those requirements of yours Jaye, and I still oppose this particular stimulus bill. Would you like to know why? It is because none of this is going to actually help me. When I was employed I was not a construction worker or an engineer. I am not a school teacher or a car dealer. That is where the money is going...for building things, creating new energy prospects...repairing schools...providing the government with new vehicles.

Please tell me how that helps me the little gal? Oh sure, my unemployment will be increased a whopping $25 a week...gas prices rising and food cost rising strips that meager amount away. And how long can I live on unemployment anyway. I need a real job. This plan doesn't address real jobs for real people.

February 10, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. Colorado Catholic

Um... Brian... you wrote
    "Seems like nobody knows what to do, so they are trying something which they hope will help. Don't like Obama's remark about the only one who can bail us out now is the federal government. Seems like a dangerous remark. If our economy is suffering severely, the only thing that will correct it is to let it bottom out. It will recover eventually. It always does. Don't need forced stabilization.

Bible says that if you don't know what you should do that you should be still and silent. Meaning don't jump into things without much thought. Stimulus package is the wrong idea but I still hope it helps. Ultimately, God is in control."

-------------–
    Lets get this straight... God will not fix our economic issues. Praying will not help put food on the table and pay the bills. The Bible also says that Jesus helps those who help themselves. Well lets help ourselves out of this hole in the ground and get back on our feet. Your blind faith leaves me speechless and I hop you realize that we cannot wait for further destruction of our economy... unless you want the end times to come sooner than later... you bible nut.

February 10, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  15. Tyrone Brown

President Obama has two qualities we need in politics – he is sincere and serious. This stimulus plan is a sincere and serious attempt to keep our economy from spiraling completely out of control.

Kudos to the three Republican Senators who have made a sincere and serious effort to put "country first" before party politics. Unfortunately, the perception of their colleagues who vote against the stimulus package – is one of being "obstructionist" to practical and pragmatic approaches to solving our problems. Worse, the Republicans leadership comes across as slow and apathetic when it comes to any domestic crisis – much like they were during the Katrina debacle. Republicans are the YES WE CAN'T Party!

As a private citizen I will continue to do my small part to help the President and his administration move forward with a progressive agenda. Every single day I feel empowered by Obama and his administrations efforts to make our lives better – I know am I am on the right side of the good fight.

Sincerely and Seriously,

Tyrone Brown
    Proud Obamacrat
    Seattle, WA

February 10, 2009 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  16. Robin

Jaye,

We need a bill. But this is not the one.

What do like about it? Where in this bill can ANYONE point and say, THIS WILL CREATE JOBS? Please tell me.

February 10, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  17. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

I bet half of the negative comments on this article are posted by the same person... you can tell by the "creative" names they use rather than their own... and by the bile they retain from losing the election.

February 10, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  18. Lovely

Good Job! As for the republicans that are in opposition to this, please go somewhere and be productive already. Most Americans are in agreement.

February 10, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  19. Terry, Dallas Texas

Hmm...

I don't hear any Republicans crying about he 341 MILLION we spend every day to fight the war in Iraq. Of course that number does not include what the goverment will end up spending to care for the brave veterans who come back unable to work due to wounds caused by combat. Oh don't forget how much we have spent on no-bid contracts to companies like Haliburton.

Here's the deal. We tried it your way and look what happened. Banks and corporations got greedy and with no one watching over them they took some liberties with other peoples money. So Bush bails them out because people and companies need to be able to borrow to keep going and create jobs. What happens? They take the money, pay themselves a bonus and pay off the shareholders. Then they tell small business owners "Sorry. Can't loan you your OWN taxpayer money" because it's too risky.

You can't have it both ways folks. You can't scream cut spending and stop borrowing after watching the Republican administration INCREASE both (Bush did not veto a single spending bill his first term in office) and go along with it. When some watchgroups pointed out with alarm how much we were borrowing to run the government you told them to shut up because lower taxes and deficit spending were the answer to everything.

February 10, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  20. Mary CT

I'm glad. Something had to be done.

I just hope the tax cuts are done fairly and that there is serious oversight with the spending.

Oh, and can we not get involved in any wars for a little while? They're very expensive. Let's invest in this country.

February 10, 2009 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  21. thank goodness

I just about fell out of my chair. I never would have guessed that there were 3 Republicans in this whole world (let alone in the Senate) who care enough about their country to try to pull it out of this tailspin.

February 10, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  22. rockturner

I laugh at the GOP, for some reason they think they are above the average citizen.

I mean, they call the Stimulus theft, yet they had no problem giving themselves a raise.

I hope they will forgive us, when we vote them out of office next time
    their run for office.

I just hope they do not tie up the money at the State and City Levels with their personal agendas. What we need now, is to work
    together.

Personally, I just want to be able to sleep at night. I want to see my co workers who lost their jobs, get employment, so they can stay in their homes.

I want to see honest refinancing reform for all home owners.
    So we can put money back into the economy.

And, I want to see companies who knowingly send jobs overseas
    to be punished, for their lack of commitment to the United States

Like IBM, who is moving its operations to India.
    Shameful.

Any company who moves, should loose its status on the US status.
    and start paying extra taxes to the communities they have left in shambles.

February 10, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  23. Len in Washington

Rome burns while Republicans "Define their Brand."

disgusting.........

February 10, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  24. Don Biggott

I say it's time that we ask not what we can do for our country but what our country can do for us – others say leave the goverment out of the private sector and that is exactly what happened in the last 8 years and look where it got us. Goverment regulators were neglegent in doing their jobs and the rich with all their taxes reduced, could care less what is in the best interest of the American people.

February 10, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  25. Thought I Smelled Something

It is this "Bill"...it stinks. There are so many things that DO NOT add jobs...it is a social reform huge spending package crammed down our throats.

I didn't vote for Obama for just that reason...all he wants to do is reallocate the wealth...this is a pretty good start. Those that are working will continue for years and decades to pay for those who do not even try. Granted many have been faced with crucial blows with the rise in unemployment...BUT Obama's agenda was set before the economy completely crumbled. The Dems are the ones pushing everyone owning a house even if you can't afford it...don't worry they will get someone elected who will readjust your mortgage so you can afford it.

February 10, 2009 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |