February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. JO,mn

If a guy wants you to drink beer while you are on the job and working isn't that he wants you to get fire. Think about it Mr. President.

February 10, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  2. Dave

Actually Hannity.. Obama would be going on MY behalf. He did say he would negotiate with anyone.

February 10, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  3. chat

I started to watch SEAN HANNITY SHOW after the STIMULUS PACK released. I like his show because he convinced me with facts not words. I watch his show every night now. Too bad President Obama, I LOVE HIS SHOW NOW though I voted for you. You are good at campaigning but not good at governing. Look at your harsh words towards those who disagreed with you. I could not remember any prez.. had such low EQ.

I regret I voted for you. No more next time.

February 10, 2009 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  4. PA Republican for Obama

Hannity is not worth 5 seconds of the President's time, let alone the time it would take to share a beer. I'm all for the President reaching out to opposing viewpoints, but some folks, like the Fox News hatemongers and windbags are just not worth it. They just want the attention, and will continue to spread hatred and division no matter what you do.

February 10, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  5. Jenny in CA

Is meeting with Sean Hate Hannity a really good use of the President's time? Hannity is a hater and does not support our President – wouldn't he call someone like that un-American?

February 10, 2009 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  6. beevee

CNN: you are becoming a cheap journalistic media by covering these insignificant news as headlines. Please don't overdo.

February 10, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. Putin still invading Alaskan airspace between Palin's ears

Will Cindy McCain provide the refreshments?

February 10, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. Sweet Pea

I HATE HANNITY!!

February 10, 2009 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. insHanity

Obama is giving this radical psycho too much recognition, is he going to meet with Limpball next? Maybe Dobson and Pat Robertson too? All these wacko-nut-jobs are social parasites who deserve to be left out in the cold. They arrogantly preach hatred, bigotry, ignorrance and fear that damages our country. Worse than any Tailiban or Chavez.

February 10, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. steve

Republican obstructionist in the congress and senate are a bunch of morons for pushing TAX CUT as the solution to every problem .
    How can a tax cut benefit an unemployed worker?
    This a question any one with common sense should ask this folks of the Taliban party

February 10, 2009 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  11. Hernittee hall of Popularity

I heard Hannitty has purchased a new suit in anticipation for the meeting. He has also invited his friends and family to be there with their cameras to record the event with "THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN. I am going to be more popular he declared.

February 10, 2009 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  12. Andre Bernard

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It's simply that simple. Especially, if they are Republicans and Democrats that help creat the problem and IRONICALLY are voting against the solution.

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  13. BT

I doubt if a six pack of beer would help Hannity tell the truth.
    Challenge him to shots and I bet he'll tell the truth after, oh, a dozen or so!

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  14. Charles Atlanta

Man.. Hannity is just an entertainer. He just cares about his rating. Do you really trust what he says?

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  15. Andre Bernard

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. It's simply that simple. Especially, if they are Republicans and Democrats that help create the problem and IRONICALLY are voting against the solution.

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  16. SDW

Matthew, you call Barack a lazy President? That's laughable! Umm, he's been President now for about . . . 2 weeks? You people kill me! And our debt is growing, you say . . . Ummm, the same debt that he INHERITED?? Listen, my advice to you is not to worry because now we have someone who is INTELLIGENT in the White House who can certainly handle the job! And President Obama has done more in 2 weeks that Bush did in eight years! So get a life! Better yet, keep your ignorant comments to yourself!

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  17. JJ12345

Al, NY NY February 10th, 2009 10:53 am ET

This is a laugh! Shammity will go on to the meeting, ask ridiculous questions, edit them and broadcast them on the "Shammity propaganda hour" as accurate answers.
    _______________________________________________
    And that is different than Olberman how?

February 10, 2009 11:45 am at 11:45 am |
  18. Bubba

So Obama is willing to pal around with terrorists after all?

February 10, 2009 11:46 am at 11:46 am |