February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Matthew, Detroit

Barack is a big cheerleadere and campaigner. He is a lousy president and clearly he is lazy. The guy cant stay at the whitehouse and get his work done. He thought he was going to spend his time like he has the last 4 years. He campaigns but does not actually accomplish anything. Our debt is growing. These guys are worse than the last group of spenders.

February 10, 2009 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  2. MaryJo Bruce Surprise, Ariz

Sean Hannity is fantastic. Hes got great ideas and should be listened to by Obama. Hes critical with the way America is going. Also along with most of the conservative base. Stop spending so much right now until we can get our economy going again. Would love to hear Hannity and Obama share ideas. Hannity will ask the hard questions few do and would be so interesting.

February 10, 2009 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. bitter_in_pa

If they meet they should consider an American beer rather than the foreign owned budweiser product.

February 10, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Rorschach

I really appreciate that Obama is not a stuffed shirt. Hannity's an oaf, and Obama owes him *nothing* - but Obama's still willing to sit across the table from him, drink a Bud and talk shop.

This I can admire.

February 10, 2009 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. Lisa, Boston

Now that would be an interesting story! Follow up CNN, this I gotta see.

I am glad Hannity made the gesture and equally glad Obama is accepting.

February 10, 2009 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  6. John in KY

Hannity just wants his picture taken with OBAMA it's for Republican propoganda!
    "DRINK ALONE HANNITY" or call BUSH or CHENEY!!!

February 10, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  7. KJL

Obama is open-minded, which means he can use good ideas from "enemies" as well as friends. Good thing, because we need all the help he can get.

February 10, 2009 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  8. Scott

Mr. President,
    I will gladly have a Guinness with you – my treat!

February 10, 2009 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. john

Redic obama. why are you worried what the press says about you.. your the PRESIDENT... Bush was worried about playing to the press.

February 10, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. ANDREW OLARTE

Beer solves alot of problems.

February 10, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. demwit

And oh yeah Sean, don't forget to bring the weed!!

February 10, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. MICK in MESA

"I would go on your behalf"...
    Just who does this guy Hannity think he is? Talk about a twisted image of self-importance. This clown's a right-wing, flame throwing mental midget with a following of low information types.
    Gimme a break – don't waste the POTUS's time drinking beers with this anti-American bigot...

February 10, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. Had It

I wouldn't give Hannity the time of day.

February 10, 2009 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. Al, NY NY

This is a laugh! Shammity will go on to the meeting, ask ridiculous questions, edit them and broadcast them on the "Shammity propaganda hour" as accurate answers.

February 10, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  15. obama-mama

That would surely interesting. I would watch. Bring an extra pair of shoes with you and do not leave your drink unattended.

February 10, 2009 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  16. Farrell, Houston, Tx

Hannity should have a beer with GWB and the rest of the GOP.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  17. Fred

Good, maybe the two can hammer out some of their differences. Hopefully over better beer than Budweiser.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  18. Virginia

For someone who is supposed to be such a wonderful role model, he sure does like to talk about drinking beer. And everyone ragged on Bush because he was a RECOVERING alcoholic........go figure.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  19. Shannon

I think it is very nice that Obama will meet with Hannity. I saw his show for the first time ever and hes crazy.I kept thinking is this news channel?? I'll stick with real new on cnn.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  20. Proud Yankee

Someone needs to teach Obama about beer....... Sierra Nevada Brewing Company, Stone Brewing Company, Deschutes Brewing to name a few ..... Bud is corporate swill.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  21. Ellie, MD

Hannity is nothing but another "wanna be comic" just like his buddy Rush Limbaugh.

Do you honestly think President Obama gives a hoot about what these two comics think about him?

President Obama was being very "polite" to these fools.

Hannity and Limbaugh are no where near Obama's level of intelligence and integrity. President Obama can run circles around these jerks with his eyes close! LOL.

Neither Hannity nor Limbaugh have ever been in the White House. So jealousy is becoming very obvious in these two guys, they only WISHED they were a part of the White House circle.

All these guys do is talk "trash", anyone can do that. Talking trash is easy. They are not fooling anyone.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  22. The People's Court ... Verdict

Just send him the beer Hannity ... don't try to crash a party where you have nothing in common with the guests and no one there really wants to hear what idiocity comees out of your mouth.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. Truth

Drinking is more dangerous than Cannabis but the president can say "I'm always good for a beer."

Do you people see the ridiculousness of Cannabis prohibition yet? It is destroying lives for no reason.

February 10, 2009 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. demwit

"Obama is always good for a beer."

This is what I'll tell my grandchildren when they ask me why they have to pay 50% in taxes..

February 10, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  25. PATC

Not a BO fan but this is actually a good idea. I think you would be surprised at how much easier it is to talk when both sides can sit down. We are all a lot more in common than we are not in common.

February 10, 2009 10:55 am at 10:55 am |