February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. HoldenLitgo

The ego of this schlub who isn't fit to carry Obama's jockstrap. Astounding.

February 10, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  2. Fred

And to think it only took obama 3 months to make a decision on that 'hard' invite...

February 10, 2009 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  3. Texas Sam

Meet Hannity over beer? Why not! We are Americans and can always get along even when we choose to be disagreeable.

February 10, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  4. RG, Tampa, FL

A little humility may be in order, Hannity, you think?

February 10, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  5. Florida Dude

Why meet with such a vile and disgusting person. Hannity has shown that he is not open to civil disagreement. I paint Hanninty and Rush with the same brush.

February 10, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  6. Roger

Forget beer. To sit through a meeting with the likes of Hannity, the President's going to need something a lot stronger.

February 10, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. larry buchas

Barack,

Don't poison yourself with Budweiser. Hannity's Irish. You two should have a couple pints of Guiness.

February 10, 2009 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. Noel Teku

HANNITY AND OBAMA GETTING A BEER!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD! If this meeting actually works, then Obama will have a good step at using bipartisinship with republicans, and maybe getting a few more republican votes on the bandwagon. But still..........
    HAS THE WORLD GONE MAD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

February 10, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  9. Ajaye

Sean Hannity needs to sit on the toilet and wait for something major to happen, he and the rest of the world will feel a whole lot better once he relieves himself. He is so full of it!!

February 10, 2009 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  10. Mike

Don't meet with that PUNK, Obama!!

You are the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!

You don't need to meet with that FRAUD and CON ARTIST!!

February 10, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  11. Franky

I don't know, getting drunk with a Conservative...I've seen it first hand, LOL!! Are you sure you wanna do that? LOL!! Na'h, I'm playing, I'm playing. It is a good gesture for the Prez to have something like that with Hannity, considering we know what's his job. I mean, come on, you think President Bush would've invited Pelosi or any other liberal to go for a drink?? Come on, our former president is the one who called out the left during the RNC...talk about different paths that's for sure.

I don't know, watch out with Conservatives getting drunk...trust me, LOL!!

February 10, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Eric

Budweiser? Yeech... Obama really is willing to go to the end of the earth to be bi-partisan.

February 10, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  13. Pam for America & Obama

Our President has a lot of work to do. He doesn't have time to meet with that loud mouth idiot Hannity. Hannity does NOT represent the majority of Americans ideas and he has no respect for President Obama.
    Please don't make this jerk relevant. Sir

February 10, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  14. Robin

I like Hannity and loath Rush.

There is nothing wrong with two different sides sharing a healthy debate. I'm all for it.

February 10, 2009 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  15. J.D.

I can't stand Hannity, but I hope the President goes. Maybe then Hannity would have at least one nice thing to say about our President.

February 10, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  16. Maurice from Ontario

That doesn't sound very authentic, Mr. Hannity. Instead of going "on your listeners' behalf," I would have thought you might have been moved to take a step forward just "on your own", like a big boy.

February 10, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  17. Clay Dowling

That would be a special sort of sit-down. We'd have an extreme right-wing talk show host of only moderate intelligence, juxtaposed against one of the most level headed, smooth talking presidents we've ever had in our country. I have trouble seeing something like that coming out in Hannity's favor.

February 10, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  18. Wayne, Greenville TX

Obama's Secret Service agents will have to make sure Hannity doesn't slip anything into Barack's beer.....

February 10, 2009 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  19. RevGreen

OBAMA END THE DEA SMASH AND GRAB RAIDS IN CALIFORNIA !!!!!!

February 10, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  20. John

I am all for respectful engagement with all your adversaries. However, Obama can not afford to lead and dialogue with every wanabe just like you cannot expect to win a hundred meter dash while responding to every nay sayer in the stands. As our population becomes at least a decent Highschool graduate, then the Hanity's and Limbaugh's will run out of buisness in time as the trend continues.

February 10, 2009 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  21. Felicia

Hannity is the biggest jerk around why would he think Obama was afraid to meet with him, Hannity just blows alot of hot air and thinks President Obaama is intimidated by him what a bastard,

February 10, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  22. Ben

LOL – I surely think our President has better things to do with his time than waste it with that propaganda machine over at Fox News.

February 10, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  23. Eva

Give em hell, Hannity!

February 10, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  24. Vwood, MD

I think it would be a terrible mistake for president Obama to meet with him. (I won't even type his name) Not that the President can't handle it, I don't think it would be worth his time or ours having to hear about it. I will turn to Fox if I want to hear anything he has to say, but I DON'T!

Don't do it Mr. President. He doesn't mean you or anyone of color any good.

Vwood

February 10, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  25. Republican

No, President Obama do not waste your time. Please focus on the economy!! I am a Republican and if I lose my job due to the republican politics and fruitless arguments as usual. I will change my political party period!!!

February 10, 2009 11:07 am at 11:07 am |