February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Dan, NJ

Metting with Bill O did force that pompous wind bag to grudgingly admit Bill thought Obama was a "good man". Perhaps forcing the witch hunting Hannity to focus solely on policy differences instead of personal attacks would be a PR win for Obama.

February 10, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  2. JSG

Not only is this an moronic article, CNN uses a period instead of a question mark under the picture. Who writes the tickler? Do they just pawn it off on some intern? It always has the most irrelevant stories written with the intelligence of a third grader. If I wanted that, I'd be checking Fox News

February 10, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  3. TIME TO REVIVE THE USA!!!

Why give this moron Hannity the honor of meeting with the President? First he acknowledges douche limbaugh and now this. Come on, Mr. President! I like the idea of bipartasianship, but these two guys are so far right they're coming up on the left.

February 10, 2009 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  4. SecondSage

Don't meet Hannity for anything. I have no respect for him whatsoever. Glen Beck, maybe but Hannity no way.

February 10, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  5. Gabriel

If I were President Obama, I'd sit down and have a bottle of beer with Sean.........and when finished, I'd bust him upside the head with the empty. LOL!

February 10, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  6. JSU-TIGER99

I hope the tax payer money will not be buying beer/vokda for the boys

February 10, 2009 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  7. Scot

If I was Obama I would have a bottle beer with that little weasel and then bust it over his head and stomp him! Hannity deserves a whooping!

February 10, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  8. Whoa! Cool!! Oh....

I thought the article was interesting until I read the last part of the last line:

""Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”"

What an air bag. "I'm so loyal to my people, I shalt go forth on thine behalf"

Drama queen.

Don't waste your time Barry.

February 10, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  9. Steve

I wouldn't legitimize Hannity, because there's no point in it; Hannity is a guy who's going to fault a Democratic president no matter what he does, because that's how Hannity makes his money. Hating Democrats and keeping the country divided and fighting is his shtick; he's got absolutely nothing to gain from compromise, because that would be the death of his career. So Obama has nothing to gain from this, other than to show he's not afraid of talking to a nothing like Hannity, while Hannity would get ratings points. But, if that's what Obama wants to do, what the hell. He did say he would talk to America's enemies, and Hannity is definitely one of those.

February 10, 2009 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  10. Ken

It is pretty sad that the only way Obama the clown will meet Sean Hannity is over a beer. Really pathetic.

February 10, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  11. obama-mama

Matthew in Detroit are you serious? How can you say he is a lousy president after all he has done in a 3 week span. You're funny

February 10, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  12. Mag

Matthew, youre a fool! Who have you been listening to? Pre OBAMA has accomplished more in his first 3 wks that Bush did in 8 yrs. Stop drinking the Rush Lim collade!

February 10, 2009 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  13. Whoa! Cool!! Oh....

Matthew, Detroit

Welcome to the USA, seems you were out of the country and in a cave for 8 years. That's fine. Quick update for yea. Were in this mess because of the last 8 years of innaction.... Obama just got started... like.. a month ago. Oh, and problems.. as big as the one affecting the WORLD right now.. aren't typically solved in a month... especially problems that started 8 YEARS AGO. Trash your house and do no cleaning for 8 years... now go fix it in 30... DOH!!

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  14. Dozirulf

Please put a question mark at the end of the photo caption.

"$&@!'s sake, man, you're amature!"

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  15. SIDNEY P

All I want to say is that Hannity is the reason I left the Republican Party after this election. His racisist narcissism ( rich race) has brought me to a new height of defense as a Spanish man. He does not like the idea of possitive change and does not speak for the very people he preach too. Here is the mark, Hannity was so against Muslims but not Terror, he was against the Idea that a truly gifted and people oriented politican had the right skills to be President. He even runs around talking about how he loves Lincoln, but Hannity don't know that Lincoln was a common man who was feed up with the same bull that was being put down peoples throats back then. It would be interesting to see. Hannity you are not a Great American especially when you are not advocating for America as a whole. What about the people that helped you get your wealth and depend on you to help them get there, but you are so selfish you want to keep them down and that means that you are a racist to White people, Spanish People and Black People. You are truly a person trying to bringing about the demise of America The Beautiful.

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  16. REG in AZ

Hannity like Limbaugh and others is incapable of having an open mind, of being unbiased. As an ex-Republican-never-a-Democrat-now-Independent I see the Republican Party as having become totally disgusting and downright scary. At first I thought Bush, Cheney, Rove, Rice and a few others represented just a limited segment of the party with their irresponsible, self-serving sociopathic mentality. Today the reality is that the majority of the Party, those who strongly and stubbornly backed and supported Bush-Cheney and who now are just as arrogantly focused on faulting and blocking all efforts to resolve our current drastic problems, are at fault and are the cancer within. To fail to recognize and identify their unified and coordinated efforts to offer only deceptive rhetoric as they concentrate on playing politics for their own gain (obstructionists), being without any sincere conscience for their responsibilities, is to be naïve and gullible or vulnerably blinded by misplaced loyalty. The real problem is that they have clearly demonstrated they think their own best interests are in concentrating on serving the few and disregarding the many, giving the majority only subterfuge without any real concern for the problems and that obviously is very costly for this country and for most Americans. After the neglect, irresponsibility and even criminal behavior of the last eight years, which the Party diligently supported, having been totally focused on benefiting Special Interests and a select few who returned overt and covert support, contributions and even promises for after-office (kickback) compensation, you may think that, because of all of the extensive problems that generated, the Republican Party would now be humbled and concerned with turning their act around – not so, in fact they are as bold as ever, and that is just totally scary!

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  17. Francis

Obama wouldn't waste his time with an idiot like Sean Hannity. It was a joke.

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  18. Dan Miller

I think I need several six packs to get through the nonsensical spew of Hannity on the radio

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  19. Thomas

I am tired of the outdated Republican philosophy. We are in this crisis due to Republicans!!! I am a strong Independent. I might turn to the democratic party, if this tax cut mess continues. Tax cuts did not work for 8 years, now we are close to a Great Depression!!! The Republican party will continue to shrink with the outdated philosophy.

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  20. Joe Smith

I think that President Obama should not go for a beer with Hannity or any of the other hate-mongers from the right. Their policies have gotten us into this mess and to meet with them, even over a beer, gives them a legitimacy they simply don't deserve.

Let them spew their inane, ridiculous rantings all they want, but don't give them any legitimacy. They appeal to the basest of the base, let them have him.

February 10, 2009 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  21. Where's the pork?

Hey, it's not like Helen Thomas and others are going to DARE ask him a followup question when he LIES about there being no earmarks in this bill as it is full of them unless you sheep like paying money for frisbee golf courses, bike paths, museum renovations and new furniture for Congress ETC, ETC, ETC.

How are those type of hings going to spur jobs and growth?

Uh, uh, uh, uh we need to do this NOW uh, uh, uh, uh where is that teleprompter?

No fan of Hannity, but maybe someone would then ask him a tough question about this pork barrel "payback" bill for his supporters all on OUR DIMES.

One and done Barry.

01/22/2013

February 10, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  22. cancer

Obama, leave the trash along and set it out just like we do our own garbage. He isn't even worth. He comes from the off springs of whose fate has been destined for unhappiness. Let him have a beer with that other radio host. I forgot his name. They are both losers. Let them take Sara Palin out for a drink.

February 10, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  23. Anonymous

Jerk!.

Enough said.

February 10, 2009 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  24. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

Ha Hannity, guess what, Obama is the PRESIDENT and you're still spreading your hate speeches everyday. After all the mean, evil, lying things Hannity and his FOX news colonies have said about Obama, O will sit down with him, it just shows who's the BIGGER Person, that would be MR. PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, PRES OBAMA.

February 10, 2009 11:14 am at 11:14 am |