February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. southerncousin

If I were Hannity, I would be worried Hussein will bring along some of his thugs and do some more harm. Look what they have done to Sarah Palin, her grandson, John McCain and Joe the Plumber. He is not a tolerant man. Even Joe the hairplug feels his wrath.

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  2. The Teester

Slip Hannity a Mickey. The Republicans have been serving this country Mickeys for 8 years and the country is hungover...

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  3. sacredh

I'd rather Obama pal around with Bill Ayers. Hannity is much worse.

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  4. Sarah

Who cares? Hannity is just a talk show host – why would anyone care if he got to meet with the president?

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  5. sherry

Hannity is a rightwing nut job......

He clearly has an ulterior motive.......

Hannity limbaugh and foxnews...............their way or no way.

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  6. Ravi

Yes! Please do it, Mr President! It's always a wonderful thing to see two people who didn't see eye to eye put their differences aside and come together. I've never liked Hannity, but this really caught me off guard.

February 10, 2009 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  7. Paisley Pink

I LOVE SEAN! What a cool thing this is. The Bama is meeting with Sean. Love it. I hope they take tons of pictures.

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  8. Joseph

Im loving this presidency so much! What a refreshing change.

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  9. big papa

I despise Hannity and his followers more than I do bin Laden...

Obama is REALLY a decent human being!

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  10. Cathy

Hannity is full of D U N K

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  11. Cindy, PA

This would be the first action this president takes that would be good for America; this may lead to some ideas and tactics that will work.

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  12. Shaka

Obama has inherited a huge mess from the last 8 yrs of failed policies. It hasnt been a month yet into his presidency and people are so critical and blaming him for America's problem. It seems like everyone that posts something has all the answers and solutions to this economic crisis..I give the president an A+ just for effort alone !!

February 10, 2009 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  13. Donna

I can appreciate Obama having an open mind to meet with this whackjob...but believe me, its all so Sean Hannity can say on his radio show that he told Obama what to do, and he listened.
    You know as well as I do the day after the meeting, Hannity will have nothing nice to say. He will continue to blast Obama no matter what they talk about. Why not invite Rush too, and Bill O'Reilly...wth.... Its all about ratings anyway....

February 10, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  14. P. D.

To all the anti-Obamas out there. Where were the Republicans when we got into this mess? Oh sure, we can spend billions for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but heaven forbid we repair our bridges and roads and fix our educational system for our children (They are the future you know.) The majority of Americans want this stimulus plan. They have spoken loud and clear. As for Hannity, he is just another Republican squaking to a diminished party.

February 10, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  15. Time To Spend the Pork at Home, Not in Iraq

Hannity is just trying to be relevant....seriously, my dog will not even listen to what this bigot Hannity has to say!!!!!

February 10, 2009 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  16. Craig in Ohio

Please President Obama – This guy is not a legitimate journalist or commentator. He never allows an apposing opinion to get a fair shake on his show without shouting them down. He does not deserve any time with you.

If you want to meet with a conservative journalist or commentator, there are plenty out there who know how to show respect to those that do not agree with them.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  17. greg

I'm just an observer from Canada....but how can matthew from Detroit call him lazy...the guy just goes & goes. My whole life I have thought that a good honest regular guy could never win. I thought that you had to be a squirmy liar to win. You are so lucky as a country right now that instead of complaining about things that have not happened, you should watch and enjoy what looks to be (maybe) one of your best presidents ever.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  18. indianapolis

Matthew...he's been in office all of 22 days, and you're ready to measure his accomplishments on that? Why don't you look back at the last 8 years and see how many productive things the Bush administration did. If we measure success based on terrible policy and flat-out failure to lead this nation, then I guess Bush goes down as one of the best. Why don't you hold off on the name calling ("clearly he is lazy")...you run the risk of looking racist, or at best just uninformed and dumb.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  19. Peggy

Matthew in detroit, you gotta be kidding me. did you see his press conference? do you even understand what President Obama was talking about when he explained the package and why the economy is the way they are now? He's thoughtful, logical and works WAY harder and smarter than our last president. While the current condition is tough, I'm so happy we have a smart and intelligent and hard working President at helm now.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. EC, MD

Ha, Ha, in Hannity's dreams. President Obama isn't thinking about Hannity's foolishness. LOL.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. George the Democrat Obama fanatic.

Smart move by Barack. Keep youe enemies close.

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. AJ

This is ridiculous. With all the justifiable and important demands on the President's time and attention, the idea that he's going to waste even a second of it on this idiot Hannity is offensive. I know of course that Obama said during the campaign that he'd be willing to sit down with America's enemies, but I thought that was limited to world leaders who might have some hope of being brought around to supporting our democratic ideals. Hopeless fascist buffoons like Hannity, in contrast, aren't worth the effort. Why legitimize him like this?

February 10, 2009 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  23. OHIO MAN

@ Matthew, Detroit

I see you been at the Bottle early this morning... can you break down how Prez. Obama is lazy? If he is out there talking face to face with the American people that are having the most felt impact with this problem we have... as to where lil Bush only retreated to the ranch and sent out statements about what’s going on ... what u seem to not understand is that if you do go out and see the problem then sitting behind a desk can sometime cloud ur thoughts about the situtation.. At least he is going and places to see first hand as to what’s going... but in ur world that’s not good enough... look no 1 has a answer to this BIG problem but some 1 has to try something .. did we all forget the 750 billion that lil bush got so fast and just pretty much gave away with no 1 even talking about the American people that didn't see a dime of that .. No that’s what I call a spending bill but to you and some that’s not a big deal... got to laugh at you

February 10, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  24. hello

Hannity is most stupid anchor/moderator on on fox news.
    In his book all world problem will be solved in one two three.

February 10, 2009 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. Ralph

Matthew from Detroit, when Barack became president, his first gift from the previous administration was a deficit close to a trillion dollars wrapped in a bow. Can you "fix" that problem in less than a month??? I don't think anyone can. How can you call the man "lazy" and it hasn't even been a month yet? Do you watch the news at all? All the things he's been doing, trying to get everyone in agreement on a bailout plan..... that man is doing a lot of work, don't see anything "lazy" about it.

February 10, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |