February 10th, 2009

Hannity and Obama to share a six pack?

Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.
Will Obama get a beer with Sean Hannity.

(CNN) - They're the unlikeliest of drinking buddies: President Obama and one of his fiercest critics - Fox News host Sean Hannity.

But the two may just be getting closer to sharing a bottle or two– so long as Hannity is willing to foot the bill - according to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs.

"Get him a six pack of Budweiser and we'll meet Hannity anywhere he wants to go," said a laughing Gibbs, who also added the meeting should take place in public otherwise "nobody would believe it actually happened."

The comments come one day after the president was asked at a town hall in Indiana whether he would take up Hannity's open invitation to meet for a beer.

“I didn't know he had invited me for a beer, but I will take that under advisement…I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

Watch: Obama says 'he's always good for a beer'

Hours later on his radio program, Hannity said he's pleased with the president's gesture.

"It seems like he's opened the door that he wants to meet with me," he told his listeners. "Now if he does, I would go on your behalf.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. indianapolis

Matthew...he's been in office all of 22 days, and you're ready to measure his accomplishments on that? Why don't you look back at the last 8 years and see how many productive things the Bush administration did. If we measure success based on terrible policy and flat-out failure to lead this nation, then I guess Bush goes down as one of the best. Why don't you hold off on the name calling ("clearly he is lazy")...you run the risk of looking racist, or at best just uninformed and dumb.

February 10, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  2. Yinka Lawal

This is my respond for MATHEW IN DETROIT, is always good to respect each others view, though there is freedom of speech but we should use our head to think before we speak, and basically what you said about the president is not true. People that accused other people of lazy are the laziest.

February 10, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  3. fred

Obama, saying that you like drinking isn't sending a good message to the 16 year olds who voted for you.

February 10, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  4. Steve (NH)

I'd like to see Hannity meet Obama... Have a brew... talk things over. I bet they'd get along! Most people find it easy to rail against others until they meet them and realize they aren't that bad.

All too often, we become crazed, making irrational comments on websites like CNN without really thinking first... Obama isn't lazy, he's working his butt off. Our debt IS growing, but that due to the interest we are paying on it since Obama hasn't "spent" anything since entering office.

February 10, 2009 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  5. TJ Batchelor

Way to go Sean!

February 10, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  6. Anonymous

I love having my beer with the guys at the bar or in our garages. Obama seems like the type that I could have a beer with, but Hannity? He is one of those annoying, obnoxious know it alls that no one likes to drink with. I don't know any guys that like to drink with that type so good for Obama for offering to do so. If he can pull that off and keep his sanity, he is obviously the type that can build bridges. Most guys would sooner just pop Hannity in the chops!
    As for Matthew, Detroit thinking Obama is lazy, wow are you ignorant! I run a few businesses, have 3 kids, volunteer around my community, go 4 wheeling with the guys, but I could never keep the pace that the President does, You are one naive person for thinking that man is lazy. I am considered by many to be a workaholic but I'm not even in the same league as him.

February 10, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  7. DJ

Obama is one very smart dude.

We are daily reminded that confronting your adversary in a fast and sincere fashion is always the best way forward.

He will win over MANY Hannity viewers with this simple gesture.

Gobama, go.

February 10, 2009 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  8. Freedom Figthers

Look people, the country is going to head toward another great depression, no matter what the Republicans or Democratics say or do. The next Great Depression is going to happen! It's just how are we going to handle the situation.

Hannity is just a critic, its his job to find something to start conversations and discussions around your dinner tables.

I would hate to see, so called critics (Hannity, Rush, O'Reily) giving radio and t.v. talk during Jesus Christ time because Jesus would've been put on that cross along time ago, buddy!

*Freedom Figthers-a group that believes in World Order and World Peace. We are the oldest organization since George Washington founded on Freedom for all people, no matter the governorment position, we are people first!

February 10, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  9. Walter

It always amusing me when someone spouts off about how another person with an opposing point of view to Obama's is a racist. Well, there's the mentality of a good number of people who helped vote Obama into office. Honestly, some people shouldn't be allowed to vote.

February 10, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  10. naqib

"I'm always good for a beer." Obama said.

or some weed and of course blow if we could find it!

Obama, 1994

February 10, 2009 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  11. sandy matson

I would love to see
    the President take on Hannity. I find
    Hannity second only to O'Reilly in the rudeness department. I'd even offer to play for the beer.

February 10, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  12. July

At the beginning when I was reading this ... I actually smile ( I HATE Sean ) and thought it was a funny story .... UNTIL I read this

................. excuse me? Sean is peeing on his pants and trying to act ' cool ' ... "I would go on your behalf.” yeah right.

February 10, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  13. joy

Matthew, from Detroit u are such a jerk. Bush did not accomplish anything in 8yrs. and u expect President Obama to clean up the mess that Bush created in 8yrs in 3weeks. i think u are tri-polar. Bush and the Rupublicans screw this country and u have the nerve to write such a comment. u are a loser, big time.

February 10, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  14. Nancy W

I think Hannity is a joke...He is one of the reasons I don't watch fox news... Mr. President please don't give this "turd" the time of day...

February 10, 2009 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  15. Alastair

February 10, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  16. patti, new york

Matthew, Detroit – Obama, lazy????? Clearly, you have been sitting on your couch and watching way too much of Fox News. Obama started making changes 12:01Am on Nov 10. Good change does not happen overnight, patience Matthew, patience Matthew!!

February 10, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  17. Peter

Sean Hannity is an entertainer, nothing more. Also, Herbert Hoover stopped spending and that did not work out so well.

February 10, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  18. Mary G. from Michigan

Sean Hannity is a corporate PUPPET !! Mary Jo it must be nice to see Hannity get paid BY BIG DEEP POCKETS TO IMPEDE CHANGE AND cause CORPORATE BIGGOTRY ... all while the American people try to LIVE ..

All you idiots are all alike ... let's sick back and nit pik this administration while Americans continue to suffer, lets sit back and watch our well suited and tied (Rep) congressmen put on their fancy shoes every morning and march up to that white house to IMPEDE NECESSARY CHANGE THAT IS NEEDED in oorder for REGULAR people to leave.
    I bet if they had to take a big paycut or reduced their HRS on the job ... they would sing a different tune

And Matthew lets not foget which President is really to blame for the way our country LOOKS right now .. AT least Obama is suggesting a solution ... WE THE PEOPLE DONT HAVE TIME FOR CONSERVS TO BICKER BACK ON FORTH ... WE HAVE TO TRY SOMETHING AS OPPSED TO DOING NOTHING AT ALL ...

You want a reason to be angry be abgry at the two fat cats that just left office with their millions prob billions that the "war " PROVIDED THEM WITH !!! THOSE TWO WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT ITS LIKE TO go through DHS or the unemployment line and neither will HANNITY !! as long as morons continue to support their so called "precious cause"...... RIGHT !!!!

February 10, 2009 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  19. It's The Ronald

Obama hasn't even been in office for a month and his critics are complaining he hasn’t done anything, which is already more than Bush did in eight years.

Why does Shawn Hannity even matter? He’s not really a valid journalist. He’s a self-appointed opinion leader whose views are not based on reality. He becomes physically angry when he sees the world is not conforming to his delusional landscape so I think it would be best to keep him away from beer. Since Mr. Hannity is an advocate on the war on drugs he must concede alcohol is also a drug and could be a contribution to his twisted outlook.

February 10, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  20. Steve

King Cobra for Obama?

February 10, 2009 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  21. Ryan, Denver

I'd have a Bud at 6 in the morning with our President – whenever he could fit me it! :)

February 10, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  22. Libertarian

Hannity and Rush are ENTERTAINERS PEOPLE. Pleeeeeease let's be real here. They are only around as long as they make their RATINGS. They are court jesters. Why do so many take them seriously?!

February 10, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  23. Where's the pork?

Nobody else will ask this empty, empty vessel a tough question on why this pork fiiled bill will go to pay for frisbee parks, Congress's new furniture, bike paths, money for ACORN and company etc, etc, etc.

The MSM is busy "explaining" away this empty vessels mistakes and arrogance, but WE are paying attention.

"Hannity is a racist" ever hear of Robert Byrd who is a hero in your party of the Rev Wright who is a hero to your "messiah", they are racists and proven ones.

Or is someone who doesn't bow down to your lying, gutless empty vessel of a President simply a racist in your brilliant mind?

One and done Barry.

01/22/2013

February 10, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  24. kelly WI

What a soft ball "press" last night. Just fear mongering and campaign talk.
    Too bad Hannity couldn't have asked a question. If he Obama meets with him he might learn something and get some common sense.
    Its time Obama quit being big nanny and start being commander in chief.

February 10, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  25. Lee in TN

Meeting with an extremist like Hannity is a waste of the President's time. These neo-conservative types that have taken over and all but destroyed the republican party, cannot be satisfied. They are only interested in feeding their insatiable egos and self-centeredness, just like our senator here in TN, Bob Corker. They continue to put their hidden agendas above the American people and the health of our country.

February 10, 2009 11:29 am at 11:29 am |