February 10th, 2009

Parton hoping Obama isn't a 'boob'

Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.
Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Famed entertainer Dolly Parton said Tuesday she thinks a woman would make a good president — but she wouldn’t.

"Somebody said to me, 'Well, you know what - you've got such a big mouth and you know how to talk to people, did you ever think about running for president?'” the country singer told an audience at the National Press Club. I said, 'I think we've had enough boobs in the White House, but hopefully [President] Obama ain't gonna be one of them.'"

Parton, who is in Washington to promote the 75th anniversary of Tennessee’s Great Smoky Mountains National Park, also joked a woman may be especially suited to show wrath against terrorist threats.

"Every 28 days, those terrorists better run deeper into them woods," she said, to laughter. "That's all I can say if we get a woman in there."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Texas

This WAS entertaining.....and to the previous comment regarding mental midgets....if STUPID was against the law...we would have to built hundreds and hundreds of new JAILS!

February 10, 2009 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  2. Joey

Let's be honest. Dolly knows a thing or two about boobs.

February 10, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. Allen, Hartwell GA

I tried, but you censored it.

February 10, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. boered1

to William A. Schaedler from St. Louis

No we did not chose the liar hillary because she is and was a liar, we did not choose her because she let her own self serving ahuteness make a mockery of the election, we did not select the liar hillary for one simple reason, she was NOT the better candidate. Pure and simple

to Jeff in Illinois please keep in mind a couple things when you read these comments, sometimes the mistakes are due to carelessness or other causes (I am dyslexic and sometimes do not catch my spelling errors for that reason I ahve a ahrd time with words that start HA for ewxample and sometimes strike multiple keys without noticing I do so. I also tend to write as I think in long run on sentences, none of my teachers could break me of that habit though MANY tired!) but overall I do agree with your post reading some of these is like breaking a code (I do it for the thrill of victory)

@ Denver Dem then run, I live in denver (ok littleton) and if you can come up with good ideas I will support you fully the only requirements are US citizen and 35 years of age.. I think if more "citizen statesmen" were out there and less politicians the country would be better off.

February 10, 2009 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  5. SJW

Please people don't you know a joke when you hear one.

February 10, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. linda from south dakota

lol, dolly,, you sound so tuff,,,,, boobs= fakies in the government?,, thats for sure,, and presiednet obama will : weed" em out,, thts for sure,, they wont be getting things they got before,,, make em pay out of thier own pockets if they want it,,,,, GET EM PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!!!!

February 10, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  7. Rodney Miller Frazier

What? i have great respect for the south and mostly for the southern accent., i think it is truly beautiful and has as much if not more cache then the queens English spoken by a well dressed James Bond, yet when someone says something so ignorant it can make the south seem like a place where every person is sitting on the porch with a banjo and a jug of moonshine, a makes the south look so dumb! so sad...

February 10, 2009 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  8. Jay

While I'm not a huge fan of Dolly's music, I will make one observation. If our politicians and business leaders were as self-effacing as she is, perhaps our country would be in better shape than it is. Yeah... I'd consider voting for her in 2016. Or Judge Judy, for that matter.

February 10, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  9. pete

Parton's hope is about the same as Obama's hope. Both gone in a flash. Fear mongering has taken over.

February 10, 2009 07:06 pm at 7:06 pm |
  10. Rookie Prez

Too late...he IS a boob.

February 10, 2009 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  11. Limbot

This cornpone schtick is well past its frehsness date.

February 10, 2009 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  12. Mari

DEMOCRAT WONT VOTE FOR A WOMAN????? IN THE 70'S GERALDINE FERRARO WAS THE .......FIRST......... WOMAN TO RUN FOR VICE PRESIDENT! TOOK THE GOPERS......... UNTIL 2008 TO SELECT A WOMAN VP!

AND WHAT'S WITH THE "REAL AMERICAN" COMMENTS????????

WE ........ARE............ ALL..........REAL...........AMERICANS! EVEN WHEN WE DISAGREE.

THIS IS THE PROBLEM THAT WILL KEEP THE GOPERS OUT OF OFFICE............. YOU HATE, LIES, FEAR AND DIVISION...........KEEP IT UP........ AMERICA WILL AGAIN REJECT YOUR VILE POLITICS!

February 10, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  13. EBC, MD

Dolly, come one boobs... is that the only word in your vocabulary..

BOOBS, BOOBS, BOOBS, BOOBS, BOOBS......... another dumb blonde.

February 10, 2009 07:14 pm at 7:14 pm |
  14. john holmes

hehehhe....she said "boob"

February 10, 2009 07:15 pm at 7:15 pm |
  15. Independent, illinois

Here is a stimulus package. Refund all taxpayers (that is people that paid taxes only, not every man, woman, and child in america) a $1 million dollar check. That would cos the government what.....$156 million or so. A lot less than $1.5 trillion.

Mortgages would be paid, new cars would be bought, debts would be paid, other goods and services would be purchased......economic crisis over.

February 10, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  16. Anna, ATL

Debi: You are wrong. Palin was used to get the ultra conservative right wing vote, most of whom were very wary of McCain and probably would have stayed home on principle. The Pumas weren't numerous enough and the issue with them wasnt that Hillary was a woman, but rather how she was treated by the pundits in the media.

Kind of like the blatantly sexist jokes on this blog...
    Dolly could have chosen another word to escape criticism for herself, and if not for herself, how about the rest of us?

February 10, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  17. arithmetic is liberal

I guess everyone was too distracted by the boobs in the picture to read the actual article.

February 10, 2009 07:27 pm at 7:27 pm |