February 10th, 2009

Parton hoping Obama isn't a 'boob'

Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.
Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Famed entertainer Dolly Parton said Tuesday she thinks a woman would make a good president — but she wouldn’t.

"Somebody said to me, 'Well, you know what - you've got such a big mouth and you know how to talk to people, did you ever think about running for president?'” the country singer told an audience at the National Press Club. I said, 'I think we've had enough boobs in the White House, but hopefully [President] Obama ain't gonna be one of them.'"

Parton, who is in Washington to promote the 75th anniversary of Tennessee’s Great Smoky Mountains National Park, also joked a woman may be especially suited to show wrath against terrorist threats.

"Every 28 days, those terrorists better run deeper into them woods," she said, to laughter. "That's all I can say if we get a woman in there."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Carl

I trust Dolly's word on boobs...

February 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  2. Wayne, Greenville TX

Dolly Parton is an American treasure!!!

February 10, 2009 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  3. southerncousin

Unfortunately, she is a woman who speaks her mind. Democrats will not vote for a woman. They will tear her down, thats easy, they will belittle her, that is fun for them. But they have proven that they are sexist

February 10, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Christine Williamson

All I know is I would make a better president than this Obama guy. But I definately wouldn't want Hilary either.

February 10, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Mari

Not even worth commenting on.

February 10, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. Survivor

OMG!! what is this doing here?? – Like Partons music – lets just leave it at that please.

February 10, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. Franky

Mmmmm, boobs...Ohh, I'm gonna go get a brownie...

February 10, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  8. Mercedes

She reminds me of Palin with her humor. She's right: A woman president would handle terrorists real well. They wouldn't put up with their BS at all!

Come to think of it, a woman president wouldn't be putting up with this crap from congress either...there wouldn't be all this posturing and politicking going on up there if a woman ran the show. Any woman put Peloski, that is.

Bring on Palin in 2012. Instead of drill baby drill right now we would hear "cut baby cut" to all those unnecessary pork projects in the stimulus bill...

February 10, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Sniffit

seems to me making a comment like that does about as much good for women in politics as picking someone like Palin for a running mate...i.e., none

February 10, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. Burt

This... is news?

February 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  11. Sniffit

@ southerncousin

dude...what Dolly said was sexist...McCain picking Palin solely for her vagina was sexist...wake up...the PUMA strategy that Limbaugh sold the GOP in 2008 did not work, it set women back a couple decades

February 10, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  12. Franky

"GOP group gets tough against Republicans who support stimulus"

Not as tough as their constituents will. I would not support my senators if they voted for it. Of course, I've already decided not to vote for them since they voted for the last one.

I've decided to work to fire their butts."

LOL!!! Now that's funny!! And by the way, it really sucks to be you and your Representatives or Senators, LOL!!

But good tone though, you said it in a way that people could get an idea...

February 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  13. arithmetic is liberal

and southerncousin, you have proven that your nickname is more than a little mildly ironic.

I think it's hilarious you say that when every positive comment during the election about Sarah Palin from her male Republican supporters came directly from their crotch.

February 10, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  14. nicole

Well,
    In a since Obama is a boop, because he is giving life back to the world. Which is the sole purpose of a mammory....

February 10, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  15. Greg in AR

@Christine Williamson....."All I know is I would make a better president than this Obama guy".........

How would -YOU-- fix the economy???????

February 10, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  16. Alfred E. Neumann

What is this, a boob calling another boob a boob?

CNN, always a step behind in covering the real news.

CNN, running neck and neck with MSNBC for last place in the ratings.

February 10, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  17. rich

"Every 28 days, those terrorists better run deeper into them woods" YEP.. Those PMS females will start dropping bombs all over the place. LOL. God help us. Alquieda bets look out. It's just a matter of time.

February 10, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  18. Tina, NC

Christine Williamson February 10th, 2009 3:13 pm ET
    ---
    Christine, I am pretty sure that both Obama and Hillary can correctly spell definitely. Keep dreaming.

February 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  19. Debi

@ southerncousin:
    "Democrats will not vote for a woman".
    Excuse me, but wasn't Hillary on the Democrat ticket?
    During the primaries, in closed primary states, only Democrats could vote for the candidates on the Democrat ticket; thusfore, meaning Democrats were willing to vote for a woman. She was the second runner up.
    Republicans did not even consider a woman until Hillary was out of the way. Palin was USED to get the PUMA vote.
    Now the Republicans are acting like they are diverse by electing a black man for the leader of the RNC. He will be USED also.
    You do not see the forest through the trees.

February 10, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  20. pacifictransplant

She thinks the terrorists are hiding in the woods?

February 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  21. NEL E BELL

HELLO DOLLY, LEAVE IT TO A WOMAN TOBE AND HONEST BROKER. I AGREE , HOPE OBAMA IS MORE THAN JUST ALOT OF HYPE AND HOPE. HE'S GONE NUTS WITH THE CREDIT CARD AND HE IS SCARING THE LIVING BEJEESES OUT OF MANY PEOPLE THAT ARE STILL WORKING AND SEE HIS DEBT AKA, STIMULIS PACKAGE AS JUST ANOTHER CAMPAIN PROMISE TO THE LEFTIES.

February 10, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  22. payback

......... if you nothing nice to say about her...................say nothing.........she's for Obama.............leave her alone......................

February 10, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  23. Track Enfield

Going for that Pulitzer, huh CNN?

February 10, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  24. annoymous-sc

way to go Dolly-take life in a stride & have fun living your dream...you are truly one of the best....as you can see you have already got christine williamson & southerncousin all worked up....

February 10, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  25. Toby in Illinois

Why is CNN putting this on the political ticker? Is she a runaway bride? Please!

February 10, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |