February 10th, 2009

Parton hoping Obama isn't a 'boob'

Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.
Parton spoke at the National Press Club Tuesday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Famed entertainer Dolly Parton said Tuesday she thinks a woman would make a good president — but she wouldn’t.

"Somebody said to me, 'Well, you know what - you've got such a big mouth and you know how to talk to people, did you ever think about running for president?'” the country singer told an audience at the National Press Club. I said, 'I think we've had enough boobs in the White House, but hopefully [President] Obama ain't gonna be one of them.'"

Parton, who is in Washington to promote the 75th anniversary of Tennessee’s Great Smoky Mountains National Park, also joked a woman may be especially suited to show wrath against terrorist threats.

"Every 28 days, those terrorists better run deeper into them woods," she said, to laughter. "That's all I can say if we get a woman in there."

Filed under: President Obama
  1. Richard

Dolly is a boob, who cares what she is talking about???

February 10, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. ???

Boy, talk about some sensitive people, some of you are. Leave Dolly alone, she was jsut trying to make a funny, which I did think was funny. She's got as much right to say what she did as anyone else.
    And all government officals have been made fun from time to time. What's so different about Obama? No matter what some of you still think , and some of you have changed your mind, he is not the Messiah!!

February 10, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. David Ferguson

Funny how many bitter people there out here. Dolly Parton is a truly gifted, wonderful woman, and I'd wager those making jokes at her expense haven't heard how she makes fun of herself. Comments from small minds like many of you here wouldn't even faze her.

February 10, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. John McCain

I love boobs!

February 10, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. JSU-TIGER99

Dolly need to go and set down.

February 10, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  6. BEAUFORD T JUSTICE

LET SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT. THE OBAMA CROWD ARE SIMPLEY MEZMERIZED BY THE COOL BROWN DUDE. IT MAKES THEM FEEL SUPERIOR TO THE REST OF THE COMMON FOLK. FOR ME I'LL GIVE OBAMA A TRY, BUT I DID LIKE HILLARY. FUNNY HOW LEFTIES AND THE INEXPERIENCED COOL AID DRINKERS DON'T HESITATE TO RANK ON ANYONE THAT LOOKS A OBAMA LIKE HE IS A FRESHMAN ON THE VARSITY TEAM. WELL SO BE IT THE ONLY REASON HE WAS ELECTED WAS HE GAMED THE PRIMARIES BUT WAS LOSING BIG TIME AT THE END AND THEY KNOW IT. ALSO, HOW MANY CAMPAIN PROMISES HAS OBAMA WHELCHED ON SO FAR. JUST WAIT HE IS LIKE " WILEY COYOTE" SUPER GENIOUS HOWEVER, ACADEMICS IS NOT THE REAL WORLD AND HIS SUPPORTERS ARE THE DESPERATE AND HOPELESS JUST WITH LARGE NUMBERS. TO ME OBAMA IS JUST LIKE BUSH JUST THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SHIP OF STATE, A LOSER BY ANOTHER DEFINITION.

February 10, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  7. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

You betcha, Dolly!

February 10, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  8. EJ

The guy's been in office for 3 weeks now and all of a sudden he's a boob. You right winger haters just refuse to give this man a chance and I don't think it all has to do with race either, I think most of you are just sore losers. I'm sure after 3 weeks on a new job you were up for golden star employee of the year too, right? MORONS!

BTW I am a BIG fan of Dolly she's REALLY down to earth!

February 10, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  9. Film Professor

Uh, sometimes one's choice of words comes off as unfortunate, Dolly.

I can already see this as a laugh line on Leno tonight.

February 10, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  10. July

Love her! She got my vote jajaaaaa

February 10, 2009 04:28 pm at 4:28 pm |
  11. Baze

Oh please, perhaps they should get Mr. Ed's opinion next .

February 10, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  12. SteveMan

I thought that was Alice Cooper when I first saw the picture....

February 10, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  13. gl, Pittsburgh

Dolly who! She need a face lift. She is ugly.

February 10, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  14. obama supporter in NC

Christine – if you think youw ould make a better President than Obama then by all means, go ahead and run in 2012.

February 10, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  15. gl, Pittsburgh

Dolly is on drugs. She is too old and ugly. She just want to get some coverage.

February 10, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  16. arithmetic is liberal

Based on the comments here, I seriously fear for the reading comprehension skills of all Americans.

I hope there was a LOT of money in that stim package for education because we're going to need it badly.

February 10, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  17. Terry, TX

Go Dolly....It's official… He's a Boob.

February 10, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  18. Mickie

Mercedes says she reminds her of Palin - but Palin wasn't supposed to be comical. She was as dense as Bush was, neither one could complete a grammatically correct sentence. At least Dolly is supposed to be an entertainer.

February 10, 2009 04:33 pm at 4:33 pm |
  19. Virginia

CNN–I was one of the first to post on this story and you didn't put it on. Is there a limit or what. I called the Prez, just like others did, and they got posted. I hope it wasn't something I said.........not.

February 10, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  20. Polly

We need some desperate housecleaning done in this country...

February 10, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  21. Virginia

CNN–I was one of the first to post on this story and you didn't put it on. Is there a limit or what. I called the Prez, just like others did, a boob and they got posted. I hope it wasn't something I said.........not.

February 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  22. Mike in VA

Trust me Dolly, Obama will turn out to be our biggest boob yet!!!

February 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  23. Im impressed

She reminds me of my 59 Chrysler,alot of chrome and large bumpers.It was a comfty car though and a smooth drive.

February 10, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  24. Wynter

Why do we care what this woman says? Is the Conservative Party desperate for media coverage?

February 10, 2009 04:36 pm at 4:36 pm |
  25. Mike

Did you all hear about the new bestseller."Death of a party by suicide".I love storys with happy endings.

February 10, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |