February 11th, 2009

BREAKING: Lawmakers near agreement on $789B stimulus

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Two key senators involved in talks over the economic stimulus plan emerged from closed-door talks in the Capitol to say negotiators have essentially reached an agreement on a $789 billion package but still need to resolve minor issues before calling it a done deal.

Aides notified reporters a deal could be announced by Democratic leaders at a Capitol news conference in the 2 p.m. hour.

Anticipating a deal is within reach, a conference committee was scheduled to meet publicly at 3 p.m. to formalize the agreement.

"Very, very close. We'll have a conference at 3," Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Montana, told reporters. "The votes are there for passage, that is clear."

Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Nebraska - a key centrist in the talks - echoed Baucus' assessment, saying there are no "deal breaker" issues still to be resolved.

– CNN's Dana Bash, Ted Barrett and Evan Glass contributed to this report

Filed under: Senate
  1. Robin

Will Obama do as he has promised and allow us to track the spending?

February 11, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  2. anon

Good .... get moving.

February 11, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  3. Ray Ray

AFter the Senate passes THEIR version of Porky-the-Pig-goes-to-Washington, Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats will effectively kill it because it took out too much of THEIR special interests.

Watching Nancy, Harry, and Obama fight over pork-spending will be a revealing event. Euro-Socialism brought to you by US Democrats.

Because it works so well in France!!! (eyes rolling)

February 11, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  4. Frost

close only works in horseshoes... get it done!!!

Let the people sleep once again with hope.

And one more vote while you are all there.. Hold the republicans paychecks that voted NO for 12 months.

February 11, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  5. jaye

I hope an agreement is reached on this Bill soon – people are getting desperate and need relief.
    I am so ashamed of the republican party (with the exception of the 3 that have the good sense to vote for it, and I applaud them) – the rest of the republicans can go jump in the lake.

February 11, 2009 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  6. Voter

And when this stimulus fails just like the last one, then what?

February 11, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  7. Obama Obama

Yep but they keep cutting tax breaks and credit to US The American people that need it right now to get ourselves back on track.

Why cant we have a say???

February 11, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  8. Obama Obama

I am getting so sick of Republicans hacking away at the stimulus and taking out things that we need!!

February 11, 2009 02:44 pm at 2:44 pm |
  9. george

i have just made a pledge to myself that if anyone of the GOP that supported this bill...when the time comes and they need financial support for their election i will be there for them. I won't promise a vote because i'm not in there state but i will donate, and I'm an independent.

February 11, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  10. indyred

I don't see anything in any of the bailout or stimulus for me. I am a teacher that planned on retiring this year. Now I can't. I don't carry balances on my credit cards and have paid off my mortgage–I didn't and don't overbuy. Where's my help? Why do I have to keep on working?

February 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Laverne

If we are going to do this, let's get on with it!

February 11, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  12. Matthew, Detroit

This spending is never going to stop. This spending is on top of all the other spending in his trillion dollar budget. This is too much money that we do not have.

February 11, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  13. Matthew, Detroit

Obama Obama.

Did you need condoms. Did you need std education. Yes I am sure you did. That is why you are writing in now.

What you need is a job and the willingness to contribute. Get a job.

February 11, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  14. gl, Pittsburgh

We need that $500 for indiviual back in there. Why let the GOP short change the middle class again. President Obama promised he would let them touch that part. We need all the help we can get. Now this went from $20.00 a check to $10.00 a check. What do you think we can do with that amount when gas is raising again, and by the time we get in the gas will be back to to 4.00 so they will leave as with 6 more to spend.

February 11, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  15. Iowa

I hope there is a 15k home buyer credit.

February 11, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  16. JT

Just make sure that none of the CEOs get none of this money at all.

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  17. Kevin in Ohio

This is 100% a democrat plan. When...yes, WHEN.... it fails, it will be 100% on the democrats. This plan is NOT stimulus..... its just a fulfillment of left-wing wish lists.

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  18. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

For both our nation and President's sake I hope it gets passed very soon. We need to move on toward improving our nation. By simply getting the government moving again and addressing the energy issues the economy will quickly be repaired to a great extent. Secretary Chu has broad ideas and plans which will compilment both energy and the economy. I look forward to new horizons!!!

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  19. Jim

We need some of this bill yes....but to use this as opportunity to payback your supporters is disgraceful!

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. Jim

Obama Obama: Just what is it they have hacked out that you need. My guess is you are completely clueless, just on the emotional roll of bashing republicans. Get a life. We need this stimulus like we need more immigrants.

February 11, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  21. obama all the way

THE PEOPLE NEED HELP (NOW), PLEASE HELP AMERICA FOR A CHANGE, THE PAST 8 YEARS WE HAVE BEEN IGNORED, IT'S TIME FOR, (OF THE PEOPLE, BY THE PEOPLE FOR THE PEOPLE )TO WORK FOR ALL OF US.

February 11, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  22. Pepper Hanrahan

Every major economist says you must spend to stop the spiral and yet the Congress keeps cutting. I see just Congress looking for more tax cuts that help business. However, there is no guarantee business will will hire people back. I think they will horde it and not increase production. In addition, the new tarp that is set to help the financial markets also helps businesses. So I don't see where the people are getting anything other than stuck with paying more taxes on anything they do buy.. If they have any money. In 2010 vote out anyone who votes against stimulus spending.

February 11, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. Death of America by Obama

This is really too bad.
    This again, will be money wasted by the democrats.

February 11, 2009 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  24. Hope

This bill will not fail, if only we got the 5 trillion that the republicans used without building a single freeway.

February 11, 2009 03:02 pm at 3:02 pm |
  25. Sniffit

@ Voter

PAY ATTENTION!!!! The last bill was a bailout for the financial industry. This is an entirely different thing. No wonder so many GOPers are angry...they don't even understand what the hell is going on around them.

February 11, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |