February 11th, 2009

Meet the Press vet to helm CNN’s State of the Union

State of the Union with John King is the new network’s Sunday block of programming that blends newsmaker interviews, political analysis, national and world affairs, cultural segments, media analysis and commentary.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Jaconi, a 12-year veteran of NBC’s Meet the Press, will join CNN Worldwide as executive producer of State of the Union with John King.

“Michelle, with her experience in landing and producing brilliant interviews, will help us leverage the resources of CNN’s political team and newsgathering operation to create a program unlike any other,” said Sam Feist, CNN’s political director and vice president of Washington-based programming.

State of the Union is the new network’s Sunday block of programming that blends newsmaker interviews, political analysis, national and world affairs, cultural segments, media analysis and commentary.

“Michelle is a perfect fit for our team and our mission,” John King said. “Her deep experience in smart and aggressive Sunday morning television speaks for itself. And her passion for making things relevant to the people who matter most – the families and communities outside Washington – is what we’re looking for in this key leadership role.”

“Joining CNN and State of the Union at this moment in history is an extraordinary opportunity,” Jaconi said. “CNN is at the top of its game, and John is the best political reporter of his time. I’m honored to work with John and his team to reinvent Sunday morning news. It’s the right time, the right network and the right reporter. ”

Jaconi began working for Meet the Press, the longest-running television program in the world, in 1997, starting as an intern and working her way up to producer and political analyst. Over the past decade, she served as researcher, production associate and political and policy analyst for both Meet the Press and NBC’s Political and Polling Unit. She produced interviews with U.S. presidents and military leaders, foreign heads of state, numerous religious figures, as well as every candidate for president in the last two election cycles.

Jaconi also served as a booker for NBC News Special Events with Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams, serving in that capacity for election nights and numerous award-winning broadcasts including the funeral of Ronald Reagan and the coverage of the Iraq war. She also helped produce NBC’s “Meet the Press Senate Debate Series,” which was a repeat winner of the Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism.

She earned a degree in international politics from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.

Filed under: State of the Union
  1. Once you vote Black

PUMA are you in here? I think I will start a black chapter called PUMBA.

February 11, 2009 07:31 pm at 7:31 pm |
  2. John Anthony

Maybe she can keep that Republican King in line!

February 11, 2009 07:38 pm at 7:38 pm |
  3. a

The newest lefty....

February 11, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  4. TrueIndependent

David Gregory is a bland Republican who has difficulty concealing it. He is the equivalent of shallow me me me Ed Henry.

John King is a Republican who is capable of being centrist. There is hope yet for John King .

February 11, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  5. Humor is best medicine

A woman in a hot air balloon realized she was lost. She lowered her altitude and spotted a man in a boat below. She shouted to him, 'Excuse me, can you help me? I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don't know where I am.'
    The man consulted his portable GPS and replied, 'You're in a hot air balloon, approximately 30 feet
    above a ground elevation of 2346 feet above sea level. You are at 31 degrees, 14.97 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 4909 minutes west longitude.'
    She rolled her eyes and said, 'You must be a Republican.'
    'I am,' replied the man. 'How did you know?'
    'Well,' answered the balloonist, 'everything you told me is technically correct, but I have no idea what
    to do with your information, and I'm still lost. Frankly, you've not been much help to me.'
    The man smiled and responded, 'You must be a Democrat.'
    'I am,' replied the balloonist. 'How did you know?'
    'Well,' said the man, 'you don't know where you are or where you're going. You've risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You made a promise that you have no idea how to keep, and you expect me to solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but, somehow, now it's my fault.'

February 11, 2009 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  6. Between PUMA and Operation Chaos!

This guy could be the next Tim Russet. To tell you the truth all you news types look alike.

February 11, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  7. JO

I think that both King and Gregory are too much in the Republican camp to carry good political shows. Russert was probably a Democrat, but you would never know it from his political coverage. He was a giant, may he rest in peace......we miss him. Another problem with political coverage is the worn out format of getting Democratic and Republican spin misters in a room, let each deliver their own spins while the host is reduced to being a time keeper, instead of presenting investigative information and expert analysis. This is what has ruled the coverage of our economic crisis – very few economists are questioned, only interviews of ideological entrenched Republicans all week!

February 11, 2009 08:41 pm at 8:41 pm |
  8. Bravo!

One cannot blame her for jumping from a sinking ship...for what's-his-name was a poor choice to follow in Tim Russert's footsteps.

February 11, 2009 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  9. John King - Unbiased?

I do not know what happened to my old CNN. What do we have: "Independent" Lou Dobbs – RIGHT. Unbiased John King and wife Dana Bash – RIGHT

And then the lightweights like Rick Sanchez and Campbell Brown.

Is CNN trying to appeal to the young viewer. The only one who does that reasonably well is Anderson Cooper.

The rest – Thumbs down

February 11, 2009 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  10. John G

How is this political news?

February 11, 2009 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Richie

Am I the only one that thinks the title of this program is outrageous? For corns sake - CNN is going to tell me the State of the Union? I don't remember you winning the presidential election.

February 11, 2009 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  12. arivera

Way to conservative and it shows. This will be an hour long show of bashing democrats and anybody with a brain basically.

February 11, 2009 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |