February 11th, 2009

Meet the Press vet to helm CNN’s State of the Union

State of the Union with John King is the new network’s Sunday block of programming that blends newsmaker interviews, political analysis, national and world affairs, cultural segments, media analysis and commentary.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Michelle Jaconi, a 12-year veteran of NBC’s Meet the Press, will join CNN Worldwide as executive producer of State of the Union with John King.

“Michelle, with her experience in landing and producing brilliant interviews, will help us leverage the resources of CNN’s political team and newsgathering operation to create a program unlike any other,” said Sam Feist, CNN’s political director and vice president of Washington-based programming.

State of the Union is the new network’s Sunday block of programming that blends newsmaker interviews, political analysis, national and world affairs, cultural segments, media analysis and commentary.

“Michelle is a perfect fit for our team and our mission,” John King said. “Her deep experience in smart and aggressive Sunday morning television speaks for itself. And her passion for making things relevant to the people who matter most – the families and communities outside Washington – is what we’re looking for in this key leadership role.”

“Joining CNN and State of the Union at this moment in history is an extraordinary opportunity,” Jaconi said. “CNN is at the top of its game, and John is the best political reporter of his time. I’m honored to work with John and his team to reinvent Sunday morning news. It’s the right time, the right network and the right reporter. ”

Jaconi began working for Meet the Press, the longest-running television program in the world, in 1997, starting as an intern and working her way up to producer and political analyst. Over the past decade, she served as researcher, production associate and political and policy analyst for both Meet the Press and NBC’s Political and Polling Unit. She produced interviews with U.S. presidents and military leaders, foreign heads of state, numerous religious figures, as well as every candidate for president in the last two election cycles.

Jaconi also served as a booker for NBC News Special Events with Tom Brokaw and Brian Williams, serving in that capacity for election nights and numerous award-winning broadcasts including the funeral of Ronald Reagan and the coverage of the Iraq war. She also helped produce NBC’s “Meet the Press Senate Debate Series,” which was a repeat winner of the Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism.

She earned a degree in international politics from Georgetown University’s School of Foreign Service.

Filed under: State of the Union
  1. Putin still invading Alaskan airspace between Palin's ears

Probably beacuse she has learned what a shallow, self-aggrandized tool David Gregory is, and she sees the writing on the wall for a once-respected forum that has lost ALL credibility since the loss of Russert.

February 11, 2009 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  2. Lisa in Florida

Looks like David Gregory and NBC should be worried. Their ratings have tumbled since Gregory took over the moderator's chair. I really like David Gregory and hope he does well, but he is no Tim Russert. No one is. I think NBC picked the right person in Gregory to host "Meet the Press", but again...he is no Tim Russert. Maybe they should've been bolder and put Luke Russert in the modertor chair. I bet the ratings would be better than they are now. Regarding the new "State of the Union" show with John King, good show, great host, could be the "new" Meet the Press, especially with the new appointment from NBC mentioned in the piece. With the sizzling political world we are in right now, we need all the information we can get, so I wish both shows and their networks the best!!! I watch them both every Sunday.

February 11, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  3. Kevin PA

John "magic map" King rules lol

February 11, 2009 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  4. Loser

Great news! Will this get me a job now? CNN, who cares?

February 11, 2009 12:20 pm at 12:20 pm |
  5. R Gorman

Nice article. With a picture of John, but not Michelle. Seems like an odd way to announce and welcome someone.

February 11, 2009 12:21 pm at 12:21 pm |
  6. THE OLD TIMER

JOHN KING SHOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED FOR THE WAY HE LOPESIDEDLY REPORTED ON THE PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES.

KING HAS LOST ALL RESPECT ALONG WITH ROLAND MARTIN. AND
    BILL SCHNEIDER, THESE PEOPLE WOULD NOT KNOW THE TRUTH IF IT BITE THEM IN THE -.

C N N MUST NOT BE ABLE TO HIRE ANYONE WITH CLOUT OR WHO CAN REPORT THE TRUTH AND NOT BE ONESIDED

THESE THREE PEOPLE HAVE LOST ALL RESPECT AND ARE NOT JURNALISTS

February 11, 2009 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  7. therealmarie

This is an uninteresting show. There is enough right wing opinion on cable as it is now. Who needs another one? John King inspires no one to watch. Fareed Zacara is excellent programming for grown ups. It is very educational and informative. John King/Wolfe Blitzer, not soo much.

February 11, 2009 12:30 pm at 12:30 pm |
  8. therealmarie

What happened to my post CNN?

February 11, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  9. Survivor

12 year old veteran???

February 11, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  10. Spencer/Hampton Roads, VA

John King was doing a fine job by himself. i like his show, but i like Meet The Press better.

February 11, 2009 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  11. Survivor

oh a 12 year veteran – see how you can get things mixed up if you don't read carefully!

February 11, 2009 12:32 pm at 12:32 pm |
  12. Larry Houston Texas

I think that's a Great Idea !!! Maybe that will put "FOX" out of Business
    or at least make them come to their senses !!
    They SAY that they are "Fair & Balanced" But everyone I have ever talked to, says that they are 99.9% Conservative News Show,
    not to mention Plenty of Bias, and Plenty of BULL...

February 11, 2009 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  13. AlohaSpirit

Not to be confused with longtime 'Meet the Press' executive producer Betsy Fischer who had worked closely with Tim Russert over the years.

February 11, 2009 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |
  14. The lonely Libertarian of Liverpool

Hmmm CNN reporting news about CNN, I thought that was not news but advertising?

February 11, 2009 12:39 pm at 12:39 pm |
  15. Gary

I like John King and CNN but now that we have a democratic president they need to understand that it is time to go back to being adversarial towards Dems. We could you you to challenge Obama and the Democratic leader at every turn just like you did with Bush and the Republicans. It is the only way that the country can be assured that the right decision are made and we aren't being fooled. Please be more assertive (even critical) with your government oversight responsiblities. Thanks.

February 11, 2009 12:46 pm at 12:46 pm |
  16. Jackie

I love that show....it's real. And I love John!

February 11, 2009 12:53 pm at 12:53 pm |
  17. Independent

I'll still watch Meet the Press....David Gregory is doing a great job....

February 11, 2009 12:57 pm at 12:57 pm |
  18. chuck

IT'S GOOD THAT SOMETHING IS DONE BECAUSE THE STATE OF THE UNION HAS STARTED OUT AS FLAT AS A PANCAKE. JOHN KING NEEDS TO HAVE AN OVERALL INSIGHT OF THINGS INSTEAD OF A REPUBLICAN INSIGHT. ON SUNDAY MORNINGS YOU CERTAINLY DON'T WANT TO HEAR REPUBLICANS RANT ABOUT ALMOST ANYTHING AND AS WE KNOW IT WAS THESE SAME REPUBLICANS HAS GOT THE COUNTRY WHERE IT IS TODAY.

February 11, 2009 01:01 pm at 1:01 pm |
  19. Franky

You know, I like to think I helped out CNN with my genius, I mean, after all, I am pretty good, you gotta admit...O.K, now let's sit back and wait for that contract, LOL!! Who am I kidding, I probably need John or Anderson to hook me at CNN and with the credentials I have(well in gambling, LOL!) I'm probably gonna be a bigger distraction than Wall St, LOL!! Yeah, that's a risk I don't know I'm willing to take...LOL!!

February 11, 2009 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  20. California Gold

This photo of John King should be discarded. Either he's running for office or posing for Mount Rushmore.

February 11, 2009 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  21. SHIRLEY "60"

I hope she has more luck with King than she has had with Gregory (whom I can no longer watch). They (King and Gregory) both appear to be conservatives, and their agendas show through, but hopefully Michelle, who worked with the best can help mold a more bi-partisan type of reporter like Tim Russert, who was the best – may he rest in peace. I personnally felt that I was never sure where he (Tim) stood unlike the rest of these news people. It would be real good if they could just present the facts, and let us make up our own minds again instead of always slanting everything. Perhaps people could begin again to do the right thing automatically. The greed and hatefullness that we have been living with just takes up too much of the human spirit.

February 11, 2009 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  22. Shirley in California

For some-advancement sure comes fast. This is a man who only months ago was shuffling numbers. Now, he is hosting two shows on CNN? What's next? I guess some of us just don't fit the mole....

February 11, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  23. Nick

I agree with some of the comments here. It isn't that CNN is so bias, it"s that their Headline or Leadline have at times conflict with the content of the story.. Maybe a new writer or two can help, or maybe a knowledgable proof reader.

February 11, 2009 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. Fay Tx

@Independent February 11th, 2009 12:57 pm ET
    I'll still watch Meet the Press….David Gregory is doing a great job***I
    Agree....You are soooo RIGHT!!!

February 11, 2009 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  25. K

John King does a very good job on his new program. David Gregory is a terrible host of Meet the Press. King's much better. NBC is the Obama network, that' sbeen true for two years. NCB and MSNBC invested so much in promoting Obama, as did the CEO of GE which owns NBC that I don't think they are going to change their biased coverage anytime soon. CNN is much better. CNN should lose Roland Martin and Tony Harris. They are terrible. Also, the women should dress like professionals in suit jackets, less makeup, less leg.

February 11, 2009 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |