February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. PATC

Next we will read Helen Thomas is gracing the cover of Vogue.

February 11, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  2. Geri

There are so many other important issues that what she wears. We need to know more about other things that are going on in the world and here at home than what she wears. Another "celebrity" move on her part and that of Vogues.

February 11, 2009 01:18 pm at 1:18 pm |
  3. shawn

Enough already! The fawning is ridiculous

February 11, 2009 01:21 pm at 1:21 pm |
  4. Deborah

She looked beautiful in the gown. I personally would not want only one strap. But we all have our preferences.
    I hope she continues to try new looks. She is a confident woman and confident women do not need to care what everyone else thinks.

February 11, 2009 01:22 pm at 1:22 pm |
  5. Gina in Racine Wi

Michelle Obama is classy, intelligent a great Mom and a wonderful wife.

I can't wait to see her in Vogue. I never buy that Magazine.....but I will buy the edition with her on the cover.

I am betting that vogue is banking on alot of other woen doing the same.

February 11, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  6. No Hillary = No Obama

THe rock star's wife will now become media hype. The new tinsel town will be D.C.

February 11, 2009 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  7. Jackson, Seattle

PATC February 11th, 2009 1:15 pm ET

Next we will read Helen Thomas is gracing the cover of Vogue.
    ______________

Well, she certainly can't grace the cover of seventeen, can she? :-)

February 11, 2009 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  8. pete

That's where her and the president belong, because they are flash and style over substance. Now get them out of the white house.

February 11, 2009 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  9. Not Right Now

I really don't want to hear that Michelle loves clothes. We all do, but now is not the time to focus on fashion. So many people are hurting with this economy.

Also, Michelle has the top American designers at her disposal and she wears the most hideous clothes imaginable. She may love clothes, but she doesn't have good taste. She looks like a cross between the check-out girl, and some overdressed opera singer. Do us a favor Michelle, don't talk about clothes or fashion....you're not good at it. Just be quiet.

February 11, 2009 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  10. Richard

Yes, buy new dresses while Americans lose their jobs.

February 11, 2009 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Tiffany

I'll bet the responses wouldn't be the same if it were Cindy McCain.

February 11, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  12. POTUS OBAMA

She should grace the cover of every female magazine. She's HOT!!

February 11, 2009 01:39 pm at 1:39 pm |
  13. Kinda

I wonder how much she's getting paid to be a "celebrity model". And if she will claim the income on her taxes.

February 11, 2009 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  14. Deb

Nice Photo

February 11, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  15. Claire, MN

Personally, I like Michelle. Do I like her clothes, no, but she's more than her clothes. She has a good heart, and she's an intelligent lady. Who cares what she wears? I'd rather have Michelle happy about what she has on and doing something for Americans, than parading around like a fashionista and not doing anything.

Kudos Michelle, you are a wonderful First Lady.

And to all those naysayers, you try to raise two kids in a fish bowl, dress impeccably, support your husband's message, and satisfy every armchair critic. It aint easy.

February 11, 2009 01:43 pm at 1:43 pm |
  16. nanao

My goodness she looks great! Boy I gotta get a routine going to get my arms in shape for spring-she really inspires me with such sleek and firm biceps that I know take a lot of work. Her arms are one of her best features IMO and I love how the Vogue cover really draws attention to them.
    And that outfit shown here is adorable! I wonder if this is the Narciso Rodriquez? The color is so bright and comforting. She really and truly has a natural eye for fashion-the Jason Wu dress on the cover is stunning.

February 11, 2009 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. Soccer Nana

Wow, I can see there are a lot of "green-with-envy" kool aid drinkers posting today.

The people of this Country (especially the youth) need to read about and see beautiful, graceful, educated, and articulate women featured in popular, reputable magazines.

Kudos to Vogue!

February 11, 2009 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  18. Virginia

Oh, I can hardly wait to buy it....and burn it!

February 11, 2009 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  19. carlo

PATC:

Helen Thomas is too old and you know it!

To all others: This is a monumental presidency, so those of you who are still mad about either McCain losing or Clinton losing, let it go. We've been over here for over 400 years. Every President I've ever voted for has been white, and I've been voting for 22 years. Can we have this little acknowledgement? That's okay, you don't have to like it. I do.

February 11, 2009 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  20. FREEMAN

TO PATC, NEXT WE WILL READ ABOUT YOUR MOTHER GRACING THE COVER OF VOGUE. BEAUTIFUL WOMAN RIGHT?

February 11, 2009 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  21. NEL E BELL

GLAD TO SEE SHE FINALLY GOT AND HONEST JOB. NO MORE 317K, FOR GETTING THE POOR TO STOP GOING TO UNIV. OF CHICAGO MED. CTR., AFTER 4YRS IN DC, SHE WILL BE HAPPY TO GO BACK TO THE MED CTR.

February 11, 2009 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. Simmy

You are beautiful and radiant. The magazine will shine because of you.

Wicked Witches Begone in Jesus's Name! Stop the hate and celebrate!

February 11, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  23. Death of America by Obama

This woman is not a fashion icon.

She looks awful in most clothes, especially when she shows off those ugly dry,dirty,scaly looking elbows.

Most time her eyes look in two different directions and her teeth should have been fixed a long time ago.

This woman IS NOT Jackie Kennedy and you people need to stop blowing smoke up her but.
    And pleaseeeeeee..............try to stand up straight.

February 11, 2009 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  24. Melba

Virginia – Are you jealous of Michelle because she is SMART AND SLIM?

February 11, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  25. Mer

There are enough fashion icons in this country. We want a role mode. A woman of substance!

February 11, 2009 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |