February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Marian

I find Mrs. Obama's sense of style refreshing. I also admire that fact that she is fit and healthy. It is a pleasant change from the underfed, overly made up, mindless bimbo's the media has been drowning us with for the past decade. It represents a new ideal for young American women to emulate.

February 11, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  2. Jim

We know what she said but why? She was born in 1964 so she was born after World War 2. She is too young to remember the height of the civil right movement of the 60's. She grew up in the North and this country has been pretty good to her.....so why???

February 11, 2009 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  3. maria. los angeles california

Michelle, that dress you wore on election night, i want you to wear it again without the sweater, maybe this summer when is not to cold. you might need a smaller size, i see you have lost more weight, that dress is the bomb!!!! i think it is hot, the reason the model who wore looked hot was because it was shorter on her and she was not wearing a sweater!! PLEASE SHOW THOSE BLEEDING CRITICS!

February 11, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  4. H. Charles

This is my thing about most of the people on this....If you don't want to read about Michelle Obama's clothes, DON'T READ IT. You people are ridiculous. You have the option to click on something else. Most of the other ticker articles are about the bailout and the economy. What else can they write?? IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT IT THEN DON'T CLICK ON IT.

February 11, 2009 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  5. Marina

Well, the haters are out in full force, aren't they?!?!

February 11, 2009 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  6. Survivor

It is totally shameful of some of the awful comments about the nations first lady – I bet you were bully's in school too! I know about people like you and none of it is good.

Michelle is a kind person and a good woman first and foremost – she will do a great job as first lady of this country – and I am so glad that you freaks will have to swallow that bitter pill – your shallow minds are so limited you cannot come up with anything other than dirt – well just wallow in it!

The rest of us will go on.

February 11, 2009 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  7. opinionated

Her remarks are quite sensible!

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. Sharon...Canadian living in US

Some of you people surprise me..what difference does it make what the lady wears.Clothes do not make a person.Whats on the inside is what defines a person.Doesn't matter the color of your skin,the type of clothes you wear,the color of your hair or anything else.Stop judging people for what they look like on the outside.

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  9. LISA

Way to go First Lady! You look greatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  10. rodlang

I nice little fluff piece on Michelle and that's fine. She seems very nice. Now compare that to the hit piece done on Cindy McCain by the NYTimes. They even questioned her teen daughters school friends for some dirt.

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  11. President Obama Brings It!

And I just wanted to add, Michelle is one of the most beautiful and graceful women I have ever seen. Black or white. Hate all you want, you can't take away from her what GOD has blessed her with. Go Michelle!

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  12. Susie

I think she will make a great first lady!!! She seems like a very intelligent woman.. who cares for the well being of people in this country.

February 11, 2009 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  13. SS

Usually people who write mean and hateful comments are miserable, jealous people who try to make themselves feel better by pushing their self-hatred unto others. When you see hateful comments, you should shake your head and feel sorry for the writers. They are in their own personal hell.

February 11, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  14. Philip

Michelle Obama is so hot !!! I wish she was my wife.... Mrs Obama dont let to much of it go to yer head!

February 11, 2009 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  15. Shari, NY

To: Beautiful, etc.: The first part of your comment hit home. The places which get the most battering are most likely experiencing retribution. The master is not asleep.

February 11, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  16. tiffany

I cant belive how nasty some of these comments are. It just proves that race is still such a huge issue in some parts of america. michelle is a beautiful woman and seems like an amazing mother and wife. She is an inspiration.

and by the way..... cindy mccain wears $15000 oscar de la renta gowns and gets regular botox injections and is a pill head.....

Love you Pres. Obama and Michelle and even your 2 lovely girls

February 11, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  17. Linda32

Wow, some of these comments are disgusting!!!

Michelle Obama is a beautiful woman, inside and out. I have to say, though CNN, she has been to 3 to 4 events in the last couple of days. I hope we talk about the impact she is making on and off the fashion industry.

For those with the nasty comments, take your jealous comments elsewhere. She is our First Lady! Deal with it!

February 11, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  18. maria. los angeles california

Michelle, my daughters name is Michelle too, she studied fashion at the california art institute. you have beautiful daughters, but that sasha, i just want to bite her cheek, she is so cute.

February 11, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  19. Fan of Common Sense

Hey, she finally made the cover of Vogue. Now if she's NOT PROUD OF HER COUNTRY, atleast she can be proud of her photo shoot.

February 11, 2009 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  20. Linda in MS

Michelle Obama is a beautiful, complex woman of color. It is obviously very hard for some white Americans to admit that, or even recognize it. We are sold an ideal of beauty that has, for all of my life, excluded black women, Asians, Hispanics, and even brunettes. I am so happy to see that trend starting to change with younger people, and I am definitely tired of seeing anorexic white women held up as models of beauty. By the way, I am a white woman.

February 11, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  21. moderate

Keep it up our first lady. You are beautiful, elegant, humble and well educated. Thumbs up for you, our president Barack Hussein Obama and the girls. Do not worry about the hate messages. These haters are air head and totally ignorant. They should join their ilk of the Palin, the so called Plumber, the hanity and that old Senile Maccain.

We love you soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Much

February 11, 2009 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  22. Sean

Michelle Obama being on the cover of "Vogue" is a total contradiction. She's definitely not in vogue with what she wears. I'm glad she wears what she likes and feels good about it. At least she makes herself happy with it. Goodness knows that "Carrie" on Sex And The City wore clothing that was horrid, but it still looked better than anything Michelle Obama wears. Michelle is a walking fashion faux pas!

February 11, 2009 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  23. Let's compare

She's not unattractive, but she has a serious underbite (that always makes her look angry) and walks with a hunch. Neither is becoming for a first lady, but whatever. That's what we got. Not that Laura Bush was any better. She always wore too much lipstick that was too dark. Made her look like the joker.
    I think Hillary was a good first lady, as was Nancy Reagan.

February 11, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Jacque Bauer

Okay, I demand to know how much money that our First Fashion Model is spending on all of these designer clothes. And just who is paying for them. After all, looking at the press treatment of Palin, this must SURELY be the most pressing issue of the day!

February 11, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. MEL

First Lady, Michelle Obama in not only a beautiful woman, but smart as a whip. We love you!!!!!!!!!!! and President Barack Obama.

February 11, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |