February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Josh

What a terrific fluff piece!

February 11, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  2. jon

Interesting. No mention of her $10,000 earings she wore on election night. And yet the cost of anything Palin wore was accentuated. CNN, you are part of the problem.

February 11, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  3. Sunshine

Frankly, I don't find Michelle Obama attractive. However, she is far more into fashion than Laura Bush was. Laura dressed well, but nothing that would make her a fashion icon. If Michelle did not want to attract attention to her dress she would wear different outfits–not that horrible "black widow" dress, nor all those sheaths which do not flatter her figure. The outfit she wore on inauguration day was inappropriate for a 20 degree day. It would have been much more fitting as a spring outfit. It would have made much more sense to wear a winter coat - unless she just wanted to show off her "outfit". That being said, I think she is intelligent and well-spoken woman. I don't hate her, I just don't think she's anywhere near as attractive as her husband.

February 11, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  4. Anonymous

FIRST: These were quotes taken from an article in VOGUE – a fashion magazine. The majority of the article is about how down to earth she is, how intelligent she is, how giving she is, and how much of a good mother she is.

February 11, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  5. Mike Dallas

If the First Lady on the cover sells magazines or clothes, she is doing her part to stimulate the economy and save jobs.

Remember, that moron that preceeded her husband said "to shop" after 9/11.

She is just being patriotic by repubs standards.

February 11, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  6. chills

A fashion magazine is about FASHION. Why do you think it inappropriate that Vogue does a cover story about the new first lady and her FASHION? And being the first black first lady – all the more fashion magazine worthy!

February 11, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  7. Amanda

This news is about as unimportant as any of the updates we get about Palin on the "Ticker".

I do love Michelle Obama and think she will mean so much more as a first lady than her clothing. I hope she can be a driving force in changing education in America. Let me know when she is working on that!

February 11, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  8. ardiebean

Real women do not belittle other women, because we know our value and our worth. We encourage, not discourage, if you are someone who is lacking these qualities, please contact a Real Friend; an advisor, a church member; a loving God. I suggest journaling & excercising, prayer.
    It takes up so much of 'beautiful time' being wasteful of the mind.
    peace to you, my beautiful sistas

February 11, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  9. Larry Houston Texas

Well, I've read just about all the comments on here.......I say, WoW !

and I also say, GO For It, Mrs. Obama ! Way To Go !

February 11, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  10. Concern Mother

I cannot believe that we live in America and we are so divided and spitting out hate and bitterness and we are all made from the same clay. People please wake-up the United States are in a crisis and we are going back in forth over how someone look and what they wearing and it all boils down to hate and don't you think we are hated by so many other nations so why are we hating each other...........Remember when the president fail we all fail...........thats why we have fallen because of past presidential decisions...........Please change your thoughts and when you do that we can change this nation...........

February 11, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  11. Boston Irish

@ Soccer Nana – Mrs. Obama NEVER said she did not love her Country; she simply stated what she felt after her husband won a primary.

Like I have said before. She finally was proud to be an American because she was going to have a chance at being First Lady. Just proves she can be bought, but I think the price was WAY TOO HIGH!!

February 11, 2009 04:27 pm at 4:27 pm |
  12. al

I think Michelle is just beautiful in all ways. She has a big heart and she is so smart and she is very pretty too.

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  13. Linda

I think Michele Obama is beautiful. I am so proud to have a substantive woman like that as Frist Lady and the woman in Obama's life. They are in love and they preach love, the world is watching and we like it.

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  14. In Houston, TX

She is so hott.

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  15. Bud Burgoon-Clark

So .... she should dress in burlap bags because the economy is bad?

I don't see Mrs. McCain doing that, or Gov. Palin (though SHE dressed on the Repukes' dime).

Mrs. Obama's husband is the LEADER OF THE FREE WORLD.

Get used to it.

She has her own money for clothes; the White House has a budget (and HAS had FOREVER) for entertaining heads of state, cocktail parties for Congress, etc. etc. etc.

I just hope Mrs. Bush took that HIDEOUS china back to Texas with her (chuckle).

She IS the First Lady (haters, take note); SHE has a certain obligation to act and dress the part, which, in my opinion, she is doing SUPERBLY.

Now ... can we talk about something IMPORTANT?

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  16. bethi in alaska

A lovely woman inside and out, with intelligence as well.
    Mathew from detroit is obviously one really bitter person with LOTs of time on his hands.

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  17. maria. los angeles california

WANDA TURNER, NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR OPINION! MY FASHION ICON IS SHARON STONE, HOWEVER, THE FIRST LADY HAS A STYLE THAT GROWS ON PEOPLE, SO SHUT UP.

February 11, 2009 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  18. BxGrrl

"I was cold I needed that sweater" I'don't care other than hope she doesn't say "I was cold I needed that fur coat" ! Fur is cruel and unnecessary. This isn't 2009 B.C. I hope we'll find the First Lady has a heart for animals as well as her other many virtues.

February 11, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  19. Chris

As a tall women myself, it is extremely important to look your best simply because you're noticed all the time. I understand her desire to dress well. We can't slink into a room. I didn't vote for President Obama but he's my president and I will support him and I pray he helps our country.

February 11, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  20. Sarah Palin: The buck and/or moose stops here!

What is it about women in the Political Ticker that brings out the worst in bloggers?

With the way we act how can you deny that we evolved from primates? Well.... we haven't completely evolved yet, we still only care about ourselves.

February 11, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |
  21. Arty

Helen Thomas has earned he right to be on any cover that is fortunate her. A sharp mind is more exciting even when the body starts to lose it's shape. Leave Mrs. Obama alone, all you klunk heads.

February 11, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  22. MICHELLE ROCKS!

Of course Michelle would attract the haters! You're mad because you're sitting home, probably half broke, manless and every other miserable connotation while Michelle Obama is gracing the cover of Vogue! GO MICHELLE! Keep em talking mama. You look fab ;)

February 11, 2009 04:31 pm at 4:31 pm |
  23. Kimberly

She is wearing affordable things, unlike that twit mccain is married to, and she is showing the country how REAL women look, no botox, fake tan and size 2 pants. She is saying you can still look good, and wear stuff off the shelves. She is what America needs. Look, laura bush kept botox in business, and looked like a statue. Mrs. First Lady, you look GREAT! I love the real woman clothes and look. Nice to see a REAL American in the WHite House.

February 11, 2009 04:32 pm at 4:32 pm |
  24. WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

BELIEVE IT OR NOT I AM SPEECHLESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 11, 2009 04:34 pm at 4:34 pm |
  25. Anonymous

What is wrong with this world? We are in an economic crises and all you worry about is what Michelle Obama is wearing. It doesn't matter what she wears. She is the First Lady. She can wear what she chooses and beauty is in the eye of the beholder. GROW UP.

February 11, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |