February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Michelle in Los Angeles

I 2nd Gina in Racine Wi. Michelle is gorgeous even in her simplicity, and less expenisve outfits.

Keep up the great job, and most of all, keep being you!

I loved the outfit in Grant Park...

February 11, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  2. Mike in NYC

Lipstick on a pig.

@karen-Phoenix:

Michelle's visit to HUD thrilled you, huh? It made sense she'd go there, since HUD is worse than useless. Funny that you never realized that in your alleged 40 years as a Repub.

February 11, 2009 04:35 pm at 4:35 pm |
  3. Anonymous

The first and last thing I can remember regarding being a first lady is not about being a fashion bug. What is she going to help do for our country. Let's put things into perspectives first and foremost. That is the last thing this country could care about now is fashion. Fashion up and let's get this country thinking about more productive things.
    Michelle you are a trendy lady, however being a first lady we expect more productive thinking about the economy and insurance situations. Can you HELP with these issues?
    Thank You for understanding.

February 11, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  4. Nicolas

Why is this news? I voted for Obama and everything. I believe in many of the issues he believes in but this isn't news. This is "pop culture" and CNN should be focusing on real problems that are facing Americans.

February 11, 2009 04:37 pm at 4:37 pm |
  5. TIM

Michelle Obama does not dress modestly. Her immodest dresing is not a good example for our women . Who wants to see her breastws. She and her daughters should be properly covered like queens and first ladies Her dressing is immoral.

February 11, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  6. tiff of Lithia Springs

To Betty at 2:08,

No Michelle isn't Jackie she is 10 times prettier than Jackie ever was.

Take your hateration someone else.

ROCK ON MICHELLE. CLOTHES ARE A START FOR HOW WOMEN FEEL ABOUT THEMSELVES.

February 11, 2009 04:40 pm at 4:40 pm |
  7. gtallo

And her husband and children adores her. Most of us regular looking african american females already know the jokes about us. We continue to push forward. We have nothing to lose. I love you Michelle.

February 11, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  8. EBC, MD

Beautiful, this article is just beautiful. First Lady Michele Obama has such grace, brilliance and warmth to her and it shows in her LOVE for husband, daughters and country.

We FINALLY have a First Family (besides the Kennedy's) who have brought the LOVE and HONOR back to the White House. You could just FEEL and SEE the love she has for her husband and her daughters, she doesn't HIDE it nor does she make excuses for it! I love and respect her for that.

February 11, 2009 04:41 pm at 4:41 pm |
  9. SJ in SJ

Mrs. Obama is gorgeous and grounded. She's not vain or showy, but wears clothes that she feels comfortable and attractive in – great example for our young women.

February 11, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  10. DJ in CO

With so many racist, nasty and non-Christian comments, it's a wonder she is able to be proud of this country. It's really sickening to see what some of you people spew. You're just lucky you get to hid your cowardice behind veil of anonymity.

February 11, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  11. charlene g

michelle seems to be a very lovely, smart, grounded woman, and she looks great...her kids seem( so far) sweet and well adjusted...you go girl, i think she is going to be a great role model for women, be it black, white, yellow... she is very real person, she loves jc crew, which im not a fashion expert, but that brand seems to be a more" normal person wear"( shes not prancing around in designer clothes like some of these celebritys do) so she loves clothes, big deal...doesnt make her a barbie. and by the way,Beautiful and you can't touch that= im a white woman from OK, were not ALL racist here... just my 2 cents.

February 11, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  12. yaaba

I like your style and I am happy that you are my first lady. You represent me well. Wear what you want, you are a stylist lady.

February 11, 2009 04:42 pm at 4:42 pm |
  13. NYC REPUB

I will make this prediction...... Michelle, will mirror Hillary Clinton, and one day become a public servant....... They both(Michelle/Hillary), entered the White House as fully accomplished women(both were not just lawyers, but partners at their firms respectively), able to stand equal to the brilliance of their husbands...... People be patient the First Lady is going to be heavily involved in the Washington community....... Anyone who witnessed her speeches during the campaign, and the DNC, know that she is extremely smart, and well spoken....... she is the secret weapon for the domestic agenda of the President.........

February 11, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  14. Patricia

Where were all you self-righteous people when Laura Bush was in Vogue? Just curious! As for Michelle–I think she looks fabulous! And she's anything but a superficial fashion maven–she's a great mother and wife, a woman of real achievement who has a strong social conscience and an admirable intellect. (And by the way, Laura looked great in Vogue, too–I'm a Dem, but I didn't turn into a hater when she was first lady. You hateful types need to get over your pettiness.)

February 11, 2009 04:43 pm at 4:43 pm |
  15. Shelley Bolds

Ok haters. Must I remind you that our first lady is a BRILLIANT African American Sistah, who, by the way, was our President's mentor.

All the haters need to stop with the negative comments because the woman can certainly hold her own; big butt and all!

I wonder what you look like?

February 11, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  16. Tasha

lol..wow.. y'all are funny.

February 11, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  17. Lauren

Congrats to Michelle, you look marvelous dahling.

February 11, 2009 04:44 pm at 4:44 pm |
  18. William Hamilton

I thought the Grant Park sweater was a little odd, but once you understood the African symbolism of it, it added a lot of meaning. To stand up in a park beside your husband wearing a sweater with the symbol of a black widow because in the African tradition you wear the symbol of the thing you are supposed to fear to defy your enemies sent a pretty strong message. We can't be afraid.

February 11, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  19. Maureen

I wish the First Lady well, and I enjoy reading about her fashion choices. It is inspirational that her wardrobe ranges from economical to high end. It is the final ensemble image that you project. It is terrific when you can turn low cost items into a smart looking outfit. Vive la fashion!

February 11, 2009 04:45 pm at 4:45 pm |
  20. Really

Who cares? Just another buyer on your tax $'s.

February 11, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  21. Mary

Michelle Obama has very poor taste in clothes. Her clothes don't look right on her, they are too loud and they generally look cheap. She is also a little tubby so clothes don't hang so well on her. Why do we even care about this?

February 11, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  22. nani

I agree with the commenters who say "If you don't like it, don't read it." It's fashion news, people, and she likes fashion. Women will continue to buy clothes, good economy or bad, so why not feature a woman who has the money to buy nice things but makes affordable choices that many of us can relate to? Liking fashion does not make Michelle shallow. She's a woman, and a smart one. Nice clothes and brains are not mutually exclusive. Apparently the Renee comment was taken down, glad to see. Sad to say, too many of us overreact when someone whose politics we disagree with has success. It would do us all good to get over it.

February 11, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  23. Joanne65

Just as soon as people don't agree with you liberals you yell racist. It has nothing to do about race. Look at the way Sara Palin was ripped apart. You talk about being cruel. She is a very pretty woman and is very accomplished but you liberals would not cut her a break. Not only her but her children were attacked. I would not lower myself to insult someone's children. The Bush girls were also under scrutiny. No one every cut them a break. It was impossible to rip Laura Bush apart, not only is she a beautiful woman but a gracious one. Michelle is not attractive maybe she will make it up with brains and character. We shall have to wait and see.

February 11, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  24. Once you vote Black

She has a big bottom!

February 11, 2009 04:48 pm at 4:48 pm |
  25. sam

I guess the R-Wing Trolls – haven't all crawled under their rocks. Michelle Obama is a tribute to America Changing for the Better.

February 11, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |