February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Island girl, NY

Some would just love to be in her shoes but never will. Stop sighing and wasting the life god gave you just as he gave her.

February 11, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  2. NYC REPUB

One last thing, last but not least, Jill Biden, who is smart and beautiful,is currently teaching at a community college in D.C., these two guys Obama/Biden, and their wives, are really getting involved w/ the American people......... I've read about Teddy Roosevelt, being the around the town and country type.... Basically relating to the everyday American....... I welcome this change.

February 11, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  3. SDD

Thank God the first lady chooses clothes she loves, not ones others think she should wear, I wonder what clothes some of the critics of this site are wearing. I think it is awesome that someone with her own mind was chosen for the vogue cover, First Lady Obama keep doing your thing.

February 11, 2009 04:49 pm at 4:49 pm |
  4. Nancy S - Los Angeles

I think Michelle Obama is terrific. I'm proud to have her as our First Lady. You go, girl!

February 11, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  5. Dimes1

Who cares other than maybe her Hollywood friends and others that don't have a life. This is a bad economy getting worse by the day and we are hung up on Mrs. Obama's fashion????

February 11, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. Jen

She is such a beautiful black woman... I am very proud of her

February 11, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  7. Joe Unger, San Francisco

To echo the Obamaniacs frequent complaint, this is news why???
    What's really annoying about this is that Michelle Obama is not worthy of being a fashion icon. While she dresses just fine, this fashion icon stuff is a media creation. These days anything Obama sells so no surprise Vogue wants to continue calling her a fashion icon and putting her on its cover.
    Any change this icon stuff will get to her head and she'll wearing something controversial and daring? Nope, she is who she is and not who she is being made out to be.

February 11, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  8. obama-mama

I'm sure none of these comments would hurt our First Lady's feeling because she is confident and has it going on. The clowns talking trash probably have nothing. Losers

February 11, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  9. Avi Shlomo

Do not get me wrong, I love the first lasy, BUT people get real. The country in crisis. There are people who wonder if they have money for the next meal. How about reporting about jobs/... work. where people can find dignity. enough of stories like this!! Poor editorial oversight!!

February 11, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  10. CRDS, Wash. DC

Michelle – keep on striving and wear what you want. I have a 3 year old granddaughter that loves your whole family. We are very proud to be able to say “A Change has been Made". It's all about who you are. I never met you but right now it feels like I have known you all my life.

I am proud to say – Hello First Lady!!!!!!!!!!!

February 11, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  11. Angi in Atlanta

To Jim and others...I was born in 1964 in the north-Boston to be exact and I remember the racial riots in school, rocks thrown at our buses and a lot of hatred. This country has not been really good to us lets be real and honest. First Lady Michelle said "For the first time in my life I am REALLY proud to be an American". The operative word is REALLY. Only people of color can understand what she REALLY means. You don't know unless you walked in our shoes. I am proud to be an American and blessed to be born here but I am REALLY proud of America when we all came together as a country to vote President Obama into office.

February 11, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  12. zaphod2000

Repugs, you still can't get over the fact that you and the old man (who suddenly is an Economics expert) and that other has been lost the election. Michelle is a beautiful woman. She might not be the old tired blue eyed blonde but she has charisma and is sexy.
    It's this attitude that still has the country underground because it's all about getting back instead of moving ahead. Keep at it though your party won't be back in power for a long, long time.

February 11, 2009 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  13. Mrs Texas

It's amazing that people can be so small. As I look at the First Lady Obama and President Obama it gives me great pride. I am a white female with 2 daughter and I so happy that we have rasied them to respect all people until they have shown themselve to be disrespectful. So when I look at the negative comment just on clothes that truely shows what type of person you are. Please help me under stand on thing why is it so have for even people on CNN to address with the same respect they give other 1st family good or bad. Let's remeber it's President Obama, not Obama...... Respect.....

February 11, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  14. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

John Lennon sang about how "they make you paint your face and hands" and other stuff women do in vain attempts to be attractive, things which reinforce my overall impression of superficiality, and failing to accentuate the positive while calling attention to the contrivances adopted to "look good". I'm a simple guy who likes simple things, and the whole makeup, hair, nails, clothes, jewelry, shoes, fashion thing is repulsive to me. If you really want someone to pay attention to you, let the real you make the statement without perceptible enhancements. But that's just me. I don't see many women who agree.

February 11, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  15. American

You people would be so upset if she was asked for interview and turned it down, you would say she was uppity and impersonal. Lets face it, you are a hateful bunch.

February 11, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. novi

our first lady is hit or miss with me. she has such a great figure, but i don't like some of her fashion choices. i hated her day outfit for the swearing in of the president. i loved her choice of dress for the lincoln memorial ceremonies. her evening gown may have be beautiful in person, but on tv it made her look fat and tattered.

February 11, 2009 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  17. Joyce Becker

I am so with you Mrs. Obama, I also like to wear a sweater when it is cold, that makes a lot of sense and I just love the way you look and dress.
    As for Helen Thomas, not a bad idea for her to have a cover also, she dresses well and is a very smart news reporter and we all could learn from women who achieved have something in their lives.

February 11, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  18. BURNS

WHO CARES WHAT OTHERS ARE COMFORTABLE IN WEARING. MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES OUT THERE TO PONDER ON. I WORE
    SUIT AND TIE AT WORK–AT HOME I WAS BAREBACK,SHORTS AND BARE FOOT IN MY YARD-IF NOBODY LIKED IT ,THAT WAS TUFF STUFF--I WILL BE ME-NOT WHAT OTHERS THINK.

KILROY

February 11, 2009 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  19. suzie

Michelle looks great, always pulled together and stylish. It's nice to have a First Lady who doesn't wear suits as a uniform (Hillary) or adopt a dowdy, bland, and boring (both Barbara and Laura Bush) approach to dress. It's been nearly two decades since we had a fashion lover in the White House (Nancy Reagan being the last one). Michelle Obama is young, tall, and attractive and can wear a variety of styles well. Personally, I've liked most of what I've seen Mrs. Obama wear but even if she makes an occasional misstep, that goes with the territory of trying new looks. It's refreshing that she is willing to take a few fashion risks, especially in helping introduce little known American designers.

February 11, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  20. matilda Johnson

I love our first lady. I love her style. She is a great role model for all women

February 11, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  21. Karen from Charlottesville

She looks terrific. I remember when Hillary Clinton was on the cover of Vogue – no one questioned her "commitment" or intelligence. I think Laura B was on the cover too. I admire Michelle – she is smart, gorgeous, a great mother and a very intelligent woman. I am looking for her to make her mark in a powerful way, but I think she'll do it with grace and style. Personally, I think we really need a woman who can pull it off and give us an alternative to the Paris Hyltons and Lindsay Lohans.

February 11, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. Joshua

This is what America has become ...

A land filled with hate and jaded countrymen.

If we can't love each other ... how can we spread Democracy elsewhere?

Isn't it time we grew up and actually made an effort to spread good and positivity?

Try it for one day, I dare you. Affraid you might like it?

February 11, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  23. arithmetic is liberal

CNN should close this post. Obviously, average people can't enough to handle a blog article about a fashion magazine without saying things that would get them punched in the mouth if they said it on the street.

February 11, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. Marie

BFD – who cares about her clothes. Honestly.

February 11, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. EBC, MD

First of all,

For ALL the haters in this blog, DON'T HATE. It's very ugly and it shows just how juvenile you can be regarding something as simple as a magazine article! How childish is that? If you can't say anything NICE, then don't say anything at all.

FURTHERMORE, folks need to get your FACTS straight. President Obama and First Lady Michele PAID for every outfit they have ever worn (this includes their daughters clothes too) out of their own pockets!!!

They did NOT charge these costs to the White House budget allowed for these items. They could have, but they didn't. Unlike Mrs. Reagan who charged $10,000 each for her Inaugural and swearing in gowns!!! The taxpayers paid for those gowns!!!

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm VERY PROUD of my First Family. I'm PROUD that they are trying to make a difference and CHANGE how we do things. Everything can be improved if we work together, but "knocking each other down" is EXACTLY why we are in the mess we are now.

February 11, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |