February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Queen Rene'

Ignorant, racists comments are to be expected from that "lynchmob" that John McCain unleashed during his campaign. I am embarrased that this Gorilla Renee Mez. shares my name. Obviously she and idiots like her are hideously ugly and lonely and should be ignored.
    Those types have run the country most of my adult life (with and without white sheets) and I totally agree with our brilliant AND beautiful First Lady about FINALLY being proud to call myself an American.

Hail to the Chief and his Queen!

February 11, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  2. jeff

Is she the 1st lady or is she being touted as a celebrity by the media.
    Vogue?
    her style
    What is becomming of the presidency.
    Is it all about style and no substance

February 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  3. Ben in Dallas

karen-Phoenix,
    I so appreciated your comment. It is time for all of us especially republicans to get in touch with the reality we face now. Your positive and gracious comment should be a lesson for us all.

February 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  4. Felonious Monk

Completely ridiculous fluff piece.

Look at the emperor's new clothes!

Is this the best we can do, Michelle Obama on the cover of Vogue?

Couldn't she tackle health care and universal health care? Oh yeah, that has been done before. LOL

February 11, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  5. Maggie

I think Michelle has to thank her clothes designer she was using prior to the inauguration, If I remember correctly it was the same one who designed the yellow dress which did not do anything for Michelle's coloring. The person I believe was the 26-year-old designer Isabel Toledo. I said then and I will say again, if Michelle wants to stand out and develope her own First Lady look she will need another fashion designer, one who knows what colors look best on Michelle and which styles. The outfit she is featuered in on the magazine cover looks great and the color suits her really well. She looks good in soft pinks, roses, taupe, white of course and black. Certainly not yellow not pea green. I believe the right shade of lavender would be good and a navy blue and the shade of blue worn with soft honey brown skin.

February 11, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  6. AD

People need to realize that we have a "REAL" family in the White House. Self made, working folks who live a moderate and healthy lifestyle. These are not your Presidential families, especially with the likes of Reagan and Bush families.

I, for one, am excited at this "New Look" American. We all need to realize moderation and begin living by this example. It is not cool to run around looking like a fat cat, or trying to "keep up with the Jones'". This is a new America, one that cares for others not just in this country, but all around the world. It's time we share the love beyond just ourselves and begin showing it to our fellow citizens here and around the world. That includes President Obama and his family.

February 11, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  7. Felonious Monk

What about choosing clothes you can eat? When you've worn them, take them off and dinner time.
    A novel idea.
    Make it so!

February 11, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  8. Maple Leaf in Austin, TX

Peter (from Canada):
    You forget that Americans aren't well known for being aware of the rest of the world. I'm sure you lost most of the posters when you started naming politicians they didn't vote for... or against.
    Rick Mercer would be hard pressed to find Americans who could identify Mr & Mrs Harper... or the Putins... let alone checking on the latest news from a country outside their own.

Eyes of Texas:
    Perhaps Mrs. Obama would dress more like Cindy McCain if she were hopped up on the same drugs?

February 11, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |
  9. Steve from Wisconsin

Articles like these really make me want to throw up! Nothing personal against Michelle – I don't even know her. But can we stop the fawning and hero worship being given to the new first family, O.K.?

February 11, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  10. Rob

Lovely. A bright, articulate, educated, and genuine woman.

February 11, 2009 05:12 pm at 5:12 pm |
  11. Rosmar

Oh, a first lady who cares most about fashion. This is a good thing? Laura Bush cared about literacy. Is this the change we are looking for? More superficial materialism? She says that if she can make an impact she hopes women can "have fun with fashion." We need to care a little less about fashion and outward appearances and focus on substance. Everyone is so taken with the Obamas' outward appearances. Lets wait and see what substance we see over the next 4 years. That's what matters.

February 11, 2009 05:13 pm at 5:13 pm |
  12. Jeanne H.

She is like the clothes she wears: natural, practical, unpretentious, not stuffy. she represents me and many american women

February 11, 2009 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  13. David from Germany

oh! Michelle, am going crazy about you!

February 11, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. Brian

Our First Lady is a MILF!!!

February 11, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  15. Bonnie Kimberly

I think we are getting a pretty good idea of what true hate is in this country. I see it so clearly when people say such hateful nasty things about this women. I think she is kind and lovely and a great mother and First Lady. I also thought Laura Bush was all those things. I see no difference here. Just a lot of really bad remarks by people empowered by the e-net thinking they can say anything and no one will know how they are inside.I feel really bad for my country when I read some of this stuff.

February 11, 2009 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  16. CC

Glad to see where her focus is and what makes her feel good. That it comes from outward adournment. This is exactly what our country needs from the first lady right now. A message about looking great. How about getting more involved in helping the poor and needy. This will truly make you feel good about your self. What did Jesus say? " more blessed to give than to receive". I guess she did not go with Obama to Indiana and Florida.

February 11, 2009 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. Brian

A highly intellient woman educated at some of the best schools in the world (on her own merits) and a successful lawyer.

All people can talk about are her clothes.

Come on, Michelle. You're better than this.

February 11, 2009 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  18. Zion

No, she is not a Jackie Kennedy. Finally, we have a shapely first lady with a butt.

February 11, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  19. Edria Fleming, MSW

The grace of a black woman She is always hated by many and adored by the ones she loves. I love Michelle Obama because she has created a model for young black women. I hope from this young black women can see that we are more than video vixens and sexual objects. We can hold Masters Degrees, run companies, volunteer are time, advocate on behalf of the oppressed and trodden, or like First Lady Michelle Obama balance it all. We are mothers, daughters, sisters, friends, co-workers or most of all we are just women. To all you haters sitting online talking trash.. ... we love our neighbors... May God Bless you and keep you.

February 11, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  20. Ardis

Michelle Obama is a great representative of her era and people should appreciate that. If our Presidents are as intelligent as their wives, we would be in better shape.

February 11, 2009 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  21. Chaco

She was at a picnic in Montana last summer, with the entire family, on the campaign trail. It turned out that she was wearing $35 Gap dress. (I checked their site and it was, indeed, a Gap dress.) Michelle is beautiful inside and out and her fashion choices are very much her own. I don't always like them all, but that is my taste, not hers. My mom told me in the 60's to try to look like myself, not like everyone else in the pack and that is exactly what Michelle does. America has a vibrant, brilliant First Lady that we can all be proud of, a down-to-earth mother and genuinely caring woman. I'm thrilled to see her always following her own path. As a woman, I feel she represents all American women in the best way possible.

February 11, 2009 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  22. Let it go

Hate is an extremely heavy and grotesque beast to carry around. Be careful not to feed it because others around you are feeding theirs. Recognize it when it stirs in your heart. Let go. These blogs only bring out the worse in some. Don't ever type in secret what you would not say in public.

February 11, 2009 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  23. Clint

CNN, these comments are beyond racists. They do nothing to encourage quality discussions or an exchange of ideas. This is suppose to be a news blog and not a venting post for closet KKKs. You have a responsibility to monitor the comments posted on your blog. By allowing such garbage only leads me to believe that you or in concurrence. I would have more respect for you if you allowed your own paid editors to write your garbage for you instead of encouraging others to do it for you anonymously.

February 11, 2009 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  24. Gatorsgirl

I am glad to see that someone such as the First Lady is speaking her mind about fashion and what she likes. So much fuss has been made about what celebrities are wearing and how it looks that young girls are being impacted negatively by this. Thanks again Mrs. Obama for being who you are no matter what is said......

February 11, 2009 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Caroline

I know you will probably think i have no right to comment as i'm British but can i give an outsiders opinion on the subject.
    I personally think she is playing it very smart by being sensitive to public opinion, both home and abroad. The last thing the people of America and the world need to see is the first lady strutting around every day wearing designer dresses costing thousands, while the US and other economies of the world are in meltdown. It would definetly send out the wrong message to the world. By emphasising her use of store labels, retail lines etc, she's telling the world, hey i know money is tight, even i'm keeping a check on the dimes.

February 11, 2009 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |