February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Marnie

Although I don't especially think the white dress Michelle wore at the inauguration necessarily flattered her figure, I do think she's a lovely woman and a great role model for a first lady.

February 11, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  2. Jim

The Obama's have brought a huge splash of dignity to the Presidency.
    They come off as regal and I for one am delighted.

Jim G

February 11, 2009 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Michelle Obama adds grace, respect, family values and beauty to the White House...

February 11, 2009 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  4. Brains and Beauty

It is sad when an accomplished Attorney and graduate and one of our most prestigious schools is judged by what she wears. I think Michelle O would look fabulous in whatever she wears!!!

After all she has the midas touch!!!!!

February 11, 2009 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  5. nani

I don't care what that woman is wearing.
    We have problems so big.........................
    She is doing a lot of planning of photos of herself. she is another self-center woman, who pretended to care for the people. She is another apolitician as Obama.
    The first Lady should not have her photo taking on bad reading. that is not First Lady Like.

February 11, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  6. Paul H

Hmmmm. I love this kind of blog news.

February 11, 2009 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  7. Joyce in Indiana

I love that First Lady Michelle Obama is not concerned about anyone's standard of fashion and beauty other than her own. Our society has become such slaves to whatever the woman-hating fashion designers think is the current standard of beauty, that we can't acknowledge that a woman doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.

Neither does she have to look like a skeleton with skin stretched over it. The models and actresses that everyone thinks are so beautiful are unhealthily skinny. OMG, a woman that is actually shaped like a woman?! It sounds like some of you think she should never be seen in public because she isn't a size 0!

February 11, 2009 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  8. Mary

Gag . . . enough is enough, folks. He's not a god and she's no goddess! FIX THIS COUNTRY – NOW! I ONLY wish I had nothing better to do than fawn over the 2 of them but, having lost half of my 401k last year, I don't care what they wear – just take care of business NOW!

February 11, 2009 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  9. Toni Perry

Michelle Obama's on Vogue magazine describes a beautiful woman inside and out. I describe her in my everyday conversation as, "My First Lady" this and My First Lady that..... although I know she belongs to each of us. I a reminded of the "Renaissance Woman." A woman with many talents or interests, who already has her own standards and style. What can I say, she was beautiful in the white gown at the Inaugration Ball. Michelle and President Obama expressed through their dance, kisses, whispers and huggs the true meaning of being the First and they care what happens to the people. God bless them both. My granddaughter and I hope to meet her and their beautiful daughters one day.

February 11, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  10. jro

No she is not pretty, but neither am I. Congratulations Michelle.

February 11, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  11. CArolyn

Please!!! She needs help in dressing. She was over dressed for the inauguration and the ball gown was terrible. Her press secretary is working overtime!

February 11, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  12. the idiot

I have been told I must take a 5% paycut, lose my vacation and my 401K match and this womans husband has just added another $25 to my tax bill. Can these democrats stop playing pocket pool every time they see the Obamas and do something for the working people of America?

February 11, 2009 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  13. ann

You two faced people talk about people from other parties being so hateful but from what I've seen from these comments, you dems have got the first prize for hate and ugliness.

February 11, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  14. Porkpie

If Michelle doesn't appeal to anyone personally that's your perogative. She need only appeal to her family and friends. After reading all the posts here I've come to the conclusion that people expect everyone to be like them. No thanks. I'd rather be me.

If we all looked and acted the same there would be no need for the other 6.6 billion on earth, only two. One man and one woman.

Life is too short to dictate what somebody else should be doing. Get your house together and leave your neighbors alone. If more people did this maybe our economic situation would be better but instead we are too busy trying to keep up with the Joneses and Smiths because we worry too much about what they think about us.

I sleep well every night, have no stress (even though I have bills) and happily get up and go to work everyday. How? Because I worry about me and mine, not you and yours!!!

Keep moving forward Michelle and take good care of America's CEO, we need him.

February 11, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  15. Maria

Michelle Obama is beautiful, inside and out. I'd like some of the people hurling insults here to show me their degrees from Princeton and Harvard! Get over it, she is amazing and she is the First Lady! I am loving every minute of this.

February 11, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  16. midwest mom

This is know...at the first inauguration dance, with Beyonce singing, their body language, the look on their faces, their smiles ...it was breathtaking....there is connection there...they are a happy couple..what else really matters? It took my breath away!

February 11, 2009 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  17. Suze

Wow! Such agony!

She is smart, she is stylish and she knows how to work what she has. I give her total hats off!

February 11, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Chris

Like it or not, humans have been interested in their outward appearance since the dawn of history. That's why we are reading this.

I like our new first lady and the intelligent, down-to-earth vibe she projects.

February 11, 2009 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. Love Michelle

What a beautiful (and intelligent) First Lady we have!

February 11, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  20. he is NOT the chosen one after all

i am not buying the magazine and i'm tired of looking at someone who has only been proud to be an American only twice in her life time

February 11, 2009 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  21. a little sad

@Death of America by Obama February 11th, 2009 1:53 pm ET

This woman is not a fashion icon.....

And pleaseeeeeee…………..try to stand up straight.

***************************************

Nothing like an aad hominine attack to demonstrate that you have nothing of value to say.

February 11, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. Effra

Jim G. is happy that the Obamas are "regal."

Yup, Jim, that's what America fought for back in 1776: so its leaders would be "regal." Great.

February 11, 2009 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  23. Jennifer

C'mon people – it's Vogue. Did you really expect anything except a fluff piece about fashion? Has anyone read the entire article, or are you just going by the excerpt posted on CNN?

I intend to read the article before I form a solid opinion.

February 11, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Randy

Wonderful First lady? Due something first before we crown you with that title. What has see done so far? Went to a school, gave a speech and posed for the cover of vogue. Opps my bad what a wonderful First Lady.

February 11, 2009 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. Lisa in NC

Michelle is Beautiful inside and out. If anyone dosen't see that,
    they are not paying attention. Laura Bush was also a Beautiful
    women but I always would see Lilly Munster in hear face,
    I think it was the red lipstick .

February 11, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |