February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. utahdem

I live in Utah and will fly our flag for the first time in my life in my yard, specifically to honor a first family that is gracious, smart, caring and represents everything great about our 50 states. Our first lady is a delight in so many ways!

February 11, 2009 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  2. Jim

This just perpetuates the media “rock star” image of the Obamas.

February 11, 2009 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  3. Jaime

You know what else is great about having her on the cover of vogue, she not only is a fashion icon, but she's actually a great female role model too. Not just another actress or pop star, but a first- an African American FIRST LADY! Congratulations America, thats a big step for you!

February 11, 2009 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. FREEMAN

To those who think that wearing a size two is what the average woman wears. Not!! Not everyone wants to be skin and bones. Think Cindy Mclain.

February 11, 2009 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  5. Marc in Virginia

She's no prize but then again, neither is he.

February 11, 2009 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  6. Jackie in Dallas

Hoke,

Michelle Obama has a lot of causes, including literacy (something you might like to look into). But one of her JOBS as First Lady is portraying an image of America. I would rather see an attractive, well-dressed, healthy and fit First Lady than the anemic looking bimbos on the arms of some of our politicians!

As for the cost, we, the taxpayer do not pay for her clothes. Her husband, as you know, makes a pretty decent salary, and gets residuals on his two best selling books.

There are some perks of the position...designers will lend First Ladies clothes in order to promote them, and Michelle wears a lot of young American designers because of that. As for jewelry, the U.S. Government has a fairly significant collection that has been given as gifts to our Presidents and First Ladies. By law, they are not allowed to keep them; however, they can borrow them to wear at State occasions. I believe it was Nancy Reagan who actually asked, and was lent, jewelry in the Smithsonian's collection - although they wouldn't let her borrow the Hope diamond!

February 11, 2009 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. JB

What's with all the emotion and rude comments? It's just her wardrobe we are talking about people. And may I remind some of you that white or black – the fashion of first ladies has always been a diminutive side topic. I wouldn't Michelle Obama a fashion Icon (yet), but she does have style and dresses well for her statuesque frame. I think she's beautiful.

February 11, 2009 06:05 pm at 6:05 pm |
  8. Eye of the Beholder

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I, for one, do not believe that Michelle Obama is attractive at all. I have listened to her throughout the campaign and Obama's presidency so far, and I do not believe her personality is attractive either. I am by no means jealous. I do not care enough to be. I will not, however, ever find her personality or appearance attractive. The less I see of her the better.

February 11, 2009 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  9. mochumbe

sarah p,Hilary C and Cindy M they all look great.but Our first lady out do them all when it comes to fashion and style.Michelle you just look like how the first lady should.

February 11, 2009 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. She She

Michelle, You look GREAT!! To Ray Ray, Kay Kay and all of the haters:
    You sound like bitter people who can't believe that the last 8 years really left us in such bad shape. Wake up! Now you have to much time on your hands and instead of using it wisely you choose to blast our new First Lady. You are sad, very sad.

February 11, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  11. Ernie in LA

She needs to lose some of that butt before she looks good in anything. She looks corn fed.

February 11, 2009 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  12. Leslie Griffith

Michele Obama is the most refreshing change!! So many women in our small town are so excited she is the First Lady and we look forward to her wonderful style and good sense. We all think she will be the MOST INTERESTING First Lady!

February 11, 2009 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  13. Omar from Liberal CA

...I think it's great how the state of the economy, how a woman approached the President and told him that she is in a dire need of help...and here we are...caring about Mrs. Obama's clothes and what she thinks about how she looks.

I wonder if Mrs. Obama is willing to share or give some of her clothes to the woman that approached her husband and is in dire need of help...

February 11, 2009 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  14. Ernie in LA

Some of you folks just "can't believe the negative comments about this woman." Do you Dems remember all of the hateful comments that you posted about Palin, Hillary Clinton and Cindy McCain. You can dish it out but you can't take it. Grow up.

February 11, 2009 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  15. an American

Life is good if you're MIchelle. Vogue – and all worried about "balancing" work and motherhood. Well, guess what, people. Women have been doing this for decades because, unlike Princess Michelle, they HAVE TO! No choice for most women. And no time to listen to Michelle make speeches about it.

How condescending can you get? Talk about the problems of women. How to fit in a Vogue photo shoot, a visit to a public school for another photo op and choosing the menu for dinner "at home" in the White House? Please.

She buys J. Crew. Check out WalMart, Michelle. That's where your "public" shops these days.

February 11, 2009 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  16. Lillie

Mrs. Obama is beautiful.....I can't wait to purchase the new Vogue!!

February 11, 2009 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. e.

I like our first lady; I like her style and grace, her intelligence, her clear committment to her family and to this country. What I do not like is that some of us, have the nerve to ridicule (as we have done in the past) the First Ladies and/or daughters of former Presidents. They also brought their special grace to the White House. Mrs. Obama, you are beautiful and I can possibly learn something from you. As an example: a sense of confidence in myself (something that fell behind me a long time ago).

February 11, 2009 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  18. Vivienne

I love Michelle and will get me a copy of Vogue. She is beautiful and smart and a great role model for women. I am equally proud of Jill Biden. Two smart beautiful ladies representing women. That is great for America. I hope that their husbands will feel more at ease letting them venture out and work to make America a better place for people.

February 11, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  19. Once you vote Black

If one is allowed to lover her, one should be allowed to hate her. To each his own. Me, I like her big bottom and how her arms are as long as her legs. To me thats a lady.

February 11, 2009 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  20. Really?

Haters, unite! Too bad for you haters, you will NEVER BE ABLE TO KEEP A BLACK WOMAN DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tho, you do try.

February 11, 2009 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. Pel

Madam First Lady. You just keep on strutting your stuff and don't worry about the critics. .

February 11, 2009 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  22. Joy O

Michelle dresses better than average, but she's a far cry from the elegance of Jackie O. Keep in mind that she has a lot of help to look good. (For example, check out her hair early on in the campaign...she's been glammed up quite a bit since then) .

I am a little tired of the constant fawning about the Obamas. Never has so much been made about two people who've accomplished so little.

February 11, 2009 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  23. Daniel

Well, Michelle Obama is better than Cindy McRobot.

February 11, 2009 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. Sandra

She said she loves clothes, don't we all? But she's not vain or wanting to be someone else, that is a real example to follow.

But there is so much more to her, such an intelligent woman as our First Lady is a real pride. She makes one feel that by putting family and hard work first, any woman can achieve her goals.

Let's hear more about what she's doing for our country and our community, since she sets a fine example for all of us in these areas, I'm sure she wants to be known for her impact as a First Lady and not for what she wears.

February 11, 2009 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  25. Leslie, MN

She is adorable. She looks like a modern first lady. I'm so proud of Michelle. She's doing a great job.

Kudos to the Obamas.