February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. sngeorgia

My dear First Lady, Lady indeed! I am so glad you don't wear $5,000 suits, $500,000.00 worth of diamonds, uses drugs and botox. I am soo glad you you are educated, smart, funny, down to earth and confident. I am soo glad you are raising beautiful emotionally healthy women. You are a great example. I am soo glad you weren't born with a silver spoon, didn't marry into wealth, and never walks behind your man. I am soo glad you are stylist, without being pretentious, made-up, and "whiny". I am so glad you are a "strong" woman without superfictious interest. YOU are Beautiful. Thank you for representing me as a Woman. FIRST LADY INDEED!

February 11, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  2. cheryl brooks

Dear First Lady Michelle Obama, keep doing what makes you happy cause it's been working for you all your life, look at what a good husband you have, and nice girls you're raising, keep up the good work.

February 11, 2009 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  3. ck

Geez.... can the media hype try and glamorize the Obamas anymore.... this is getting sickening.

February 11, 2009 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  4. Cynthia - Arkansas

I think there is so much jealousy in the Republican Party that they can't stand to see a beautiful couple grace the White House.

I enjoy seeing them and reading about them. They seem like people I would like to be friends with. Such geniune people. It's so refreshing!

God Bless President Obama and his wonderful family.

February 11, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  5. Jane in San Francisco

Go Michelle!

February 11, 2009 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  6. Rita

HELLO It was an interview for VOGUE magazine!!! How can she not talk about fashion. Good grief people get a life.

February 11, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  7. mel

wanna see racist remarks – check out yahoo and fox websites – pure racism – they even hide the positive remarks

February 11, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  8. Once you vote Black

Matthew how can someone living in Detroit say something like that. That whole state is just that, a hole. As for Mrs. O. She looks like Sammy Davis Jr and Aunt Estha rolled into 1. But she has nice hips and in my community that is all that counts!

February 11, 2009 07:24 pm at 7:24 pm |
  9. dee

kay kay - I guess you were dying to add another "kay" to that, eh? You racist moron. Calling an African-American a neaderthal is disgusting. You're the reason why America is crumbling. Thank G'd we have a Obama in office to repair the damage you're kind has done.

February 11, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  10. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

Michelle, like they say, you are the REAL DEAL!

I love having a First Lady who isn't afraid to say what she T-H-I-N-K-S!

February 11, 2009 07:36 pm at 7:36 pm |
  11. Jamie from Philly

I LOVE that she is shown working as well as looking fashionable. Michelle is a highly intelligent woman, who in her still young life has done much good in the world. She is an amazing example to girls and boys everywhere.

February 11, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  12. a

Yikes..

February 11, 2009 07:47 pm at 7:47 pm |
  13. Patricia in Las Vegas

to all you people who are commenting on who is ugly or who is beautiful should remember that true beauty comes from within. So I am guessing there are a lot of truly ugly people on this blog today. I have seen First Lady Obama in person and she is truly a beautiful person, inside and out. Unfortunately, I don't think I could make the same comment about Gov. Palin. I don't care how "hot" you old farts think she is.... when she opened her mouth on TV, slaughtered the English language, and winked like she was having a seizure, I could not find one single attractive thing about her.

February 11, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  14. erp

I can say about MO is, WOW!!!!! This woman is beautiful inside and out. For all you haters out there, get a life! Mrs. Obama, you make me proud to be an American, but most importantly, to be an African-American.

February 11, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  15. Nadine

Yeah, Michelle Obama is on the cover of Vogue. She is beautiful and I love her fashion sense. I just subscribed to Vogue and hearing she will grace the cover is the icing on the cake. Brains, beauty, and a heart of gold. I almost forgot what it was like to have something positive to say about someone in Washington. Change has truly come to America and I for one couldn't be happier!!!

February 11, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  16. MARYANN ILLINOIS

Please stop ...Michelle Obama is noo Jackie Kennedy..........I truly think the Obama girls are awesome...Michelle...no role model to me...should dress in solids .......and wear a bigger bang on her forehead......How many Tea parties is she going to attend??????? (Barack's words about Hillary being first Lady)Michelle sends her girls to private school and then has the nerve to tell us her husband is going to give us a $2500 tax credit for college....Who can afford any college .in the first place in order to get that credit......Make State colleges free with a 3.5 GPA........maybe some of us smart, common folk can go.........Michelle +Barack got to go to college for free because they were smart.......give all of us that same opportunity.....just an EQUAL opportunity for all...............Hey you want to start up the ECONOMY...give every legal law abiding tax payer.......$500,000.00........those that need to pay their mortgage WILL..those that need a down payment on their new home ...have a chance...and those who were born rich can invest in the stock market...this is a plan EVERY AMERICAN will sign on for.......

February 11, 2009 08:00 pm at 8:00 pm |
  17. Descendant of Survivors of slave trade

The deep-seated issue of racism has never been effectively addressed in this country. It is rooted the lies that the European land grabbers told themselves, namely that the people stolen from Africa were not really humans. This was psychologically necessary in order for these so-called Christians to heap the horrors of slavery upon the Africans for the purpose of having free labor to build the land stolen from the peoples native to this country. Among these false ideas is the idea of beauty. These ideas have been enforced through the control of the images we see in the media. Thus, the negative comments about Michelle Obama's physical appearance by those suffering from the psychosis of racism. Disregard them. They are
    pitiful in their irrational utterances.

February 11, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  18. jaye

I love Michele Obama!
    She going to be a great First Lady.

February 11, 2009 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. Michelle is gorgeous!!

Michelle is a tall, slender lady with a gorgeous figure. I had the great good fortune to shake her hand and get her autograph at a thank-you-to-volunteers during the campaign and she was kind, gracious and "present" for each one of us even though this was the end of the primaries and she must have already been sick to death of the whole thing.

She is one of those people who looks different on tv and in photos than she does in real life – if she were to try to make herself look "tv thin" she would be way too thin. She is perfect as she is and on top of her more substantial qualities (super smart, great wife & mom & daughter) I *love* her fashion sense.

I don't usually read Vogue but I'll definitely look at this issue.

Go Michelle!!

February 11, 2009 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  20. Utah proud

I am so proud to have such a gracious, smart, and caring first lady such as Michele Obama to represent the United States. Our country can do nothing but prosper with such a stunning First Family to lead us. They arrived just in the nick of time to give us hope.

February 11, 2009 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  21. LAS, Washington State

I hope that Michelle Obama will break out of narrowly defined female roles and exert her intelligence and professional experience as Hillary Clinton did. I hope that she will not be intimidated just because some members of the public can't handle the idea of a wife being strong, professional and responsible like Hillary.

February 11, 2009 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  22. Between PUMA and Operation Chaos!

Feel free to lover her or hate her, at least she buys her own clothing. It might not be to your likeing, but at least you did not have to pay for it like the GOP did with well, you betch ya babe.

February 11, 2009 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  23. Barbara from Atlanta, GA

Michelle is absolutely beautiful – inside and out. Anyone with any sense can see why Obama loves her!!!!

We love you first lady Michelle Obama – thank you for marrying our president 16 years ago. You are our role-model family!!!!

Love ya!!!

February 11, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  24. SuperDuperIndependent

Yes, just what our country needs right now. More Obama celebrity pandering. This fits nicely with the ongoing obama fantasy narrative.

February 11, 2009 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  25. GuyInVA

Hey! An Obama on the cover of a magazine! What a great idea!!! In all seriousness, she is a lovely woman and looks good in what she wears. On inauguration day, Brit Hume described her as "striking". Very good description. However, is this news if it were any previous first lady? Nope.

February 11, 2009 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |