February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. America

Should we really be worried about what Michelle is wearing right now? We have millions of American's without clothes on their backs. Might be a good idea not to show the first lady all decked out in her designer clothes, sprawled out on the couch in her nice comfy house, when their are so many people out their who do not know where their next meal will come from. Not right wing or left wing....This just is not right.

February 11, 2009 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  2. Kym

Virgina – Don't hate, Appreciate!!

February 11, 2009 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. cal

LOL. Wow all you haters on this blog are truly laughable. Michelle is who she is, the first lady like it or not. She is intellegent and people love her personality. Mrs Obama never claimed to be Jackie Kennedy, the media made that comparison. You haters need to use that energy somewhere else, it's getting old.

February 11, 2009 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  4. Betty

She's no Jackie Kennedy and she never will be.

February 11, 2009 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  5. Mercedes

I think we have more important things to talk about in America than what this woman is wearing.

February 11, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  6. Meh

People need to lighten up. It's an article about a fashion magazine! Can you honestly, HONESTLY say that you think of nothing else but serious subjects right now? Everything must be about the economy at all times? What's wrong w. a little light-heartedness once in a while?
    And, Death of America, I'm sure you are a supermodel.

February 11, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  7. David

This is not newsworthy.

February 11, 2009 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  8. Eleonore

She is brilliant, beautiful, elegan, articulate. Everything that these women bloggers here who disparage her are not. Sorry ladies, get over your jealousy.

February 11, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  9. thefletch

This woman has no "grace" so why the fuss over a normal and ugly woman with no class?

February 11, 2009 02:14 pm at 2:14 pm |
  10. Laverne

Black and Beautiful!

February 11, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  11. Wally

Death of America or what do you call yourself. America shall live and will not die. As a new immigrant, I am proud of this nation and still wondering why you continue to transfer your hatred for your personal look to the first lady. She is smart, beautiful and adorable. Any way you are a frustrated citizen, and we are busy getting the job done.

February 11, 2009 02:16 pm at 2:16 pm |
  12. Wally

February 11, 2009 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  13. sensible Cape Coral FL

It is always better to wear solid colors rather than prints on TV. Prints only distract from the message. Michelle's election night dress was beautiful but did not photograph well. She'll learn if the lunatic fringe gives her a chance. I'd love to see some of the outfits you idiots wear.

February 11, 2009 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  14. ginger

First Lady Michelle Obama is such a beautiful person inside and out.

You go First Lady.

The haters should rent backstairs at the house white.

February 11, 2009 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Ken

What a JOKE!

This administration is starting to look like a TV reality show. I would think that the media, papers, magazines, etc. would have something more important to write about.

I am tired of reading stuff about the Obama's as if it were a side show!

February 11, 2009 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  16. aware

Is this just more trite trivia to distract us from reality?

Panicked people make poor choices! How do you think an arrogant mortal was selected to be savior! :(

History reminds us that we keep repeating the same stubborn-hearted mistakes!

February 11, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  17. sensible Cape Coral FL

Good God. She really wore white after Labor Day !!!! The sky is falling.

February 11, 2009 02:23 pm at 2:23 pm |
  18. Phil in SA

I think it's great to finally again have a First Lady with brains as well as beauty. She's a great role model for my teen daughter, and I'll buy a copy of Vogue just to bump the sales.

February 11, 2009 02:24 pm at 2:24 pm |
  19. white female

Great Job Vogue !!!!!!!!
    Kudos, Frist Lady Michelle, as my Mother would say enjoy it Baby we deserve you. Remember when they keep talking about you so hatefully it only means that you're doing it RIGHT. you will be giving so many ladies great hope, class, grace, and pride to become great intelligent ladies.
    Keep up the good work, words of hate can't hurt you, and your Family.
    You are a beautiful Woman of Color that's why so many hate on you.
    I would love to have a daughter like you to represent this Country.
    I give great praise to your sweet Mother. Love having you and President Obama in DC/ and in the White House, keep showing them how it should be done. No one can change History, so everyone needs to get over it, and let's move on.
    May God watch over you'll, and bless you'll and this Country.
    All you people need to show some respect for the FIRST FAMILY.
    That's what's wrong in this country and world now, people like you haters keep you fist closed, and your hearts hard.
    We will get through this crazy dark place, and the sun will shine again.

February 11, 2009 02:26 pm at 2:26 pm |
  20. Lily

Yeah, what girl doesn't "love" clothes. Just what we need to focus on during the upcoming depression.

February 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  21. thefletch

She has no class and and can't leave fast enough to suit me.

February 11, 2009 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  22. lr

I never followed any "fashion idol-model-etc.". I like things on my own. What fits me best. Everybody should wear what fits them best, not to be copy-cat, + you also need the money for that....we are in bad situation now...not too many can afford even food.

February 11, 2009 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  23. Soccer Nana

@Not Right Now, jealous? Yeah, you are. LOL

@ Pete, why? You think they don't belong in the WH? Well, they do; Obama won the election; get used to it.

@Virginia, keep the few coins you have; Vogue will not miss them and certainly don't need them.

@death, Mrs. Obama is not trying to be anyone; she is Mrs. Barack Obama. Jackie Kennedy Onaisis looked good to her admirers (I was not one) and she cussed like a sailor. She would be perfect for you "death".

@America, have you stopped shopping because many of our fellow citizens have lost their jobs and many are homeless and/or hungry? You should have told the former first family to not purchase their new 3 million dollar home in Dallas, TX; better yet, tell Rush to give up his new 4 million dollar contract that the conservatives are paying him to spew hate. I feel for my fellow Americans who have lost their jobs, homes, etc.; I help where I can, but I am not going to stop living. Get a grip and release your hate, because that is exactly how you and the other negative posters feel about the Obamas.

@Mer, Mrs. Obama and the Prez are great role models; as well as the Cosbys; Fentys; the Luters, the Jakes' the Warrens' and many other happily married, professionals.

February 11, 2009 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  24. jaye

Awesome photo of Michelle – she is really beautiful.

February 11, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  25. Ray Ray

Dear lord.... can we at least get her on Extreme Makeover to fix those pirhana teeth??

February 11, 2009 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |