February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. anon

Well done ....

I made some money on JC Crew stock 'cause of you, Michelle.

What's your favorite shoe brand?

February 11, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  2. Kaci

She's NOT TRYING to be Jackie Kennedy. Who would want to be? Chain-smoking, drinking till you drop because your President Husband is screwing everything that moves. You live in humiliation because everyone knows it. No, thank God, she will never be jackie kennedy.

February 11, 2009 02:45 pm at 2:45 pm |
  3. Me here in AZ

She is so gracious, real, and absolutely awesome! I love having a strong REAL woman in the white house again. This IS 2009, and Laura Bush trying to pull off the whole 1920's idea of a First Lady was enbarassing. I love that this woman has a great education, and a great amount of style to boot. I am excited to see where she takes her role. I am proud of her! You go Mrs. First Lady Obama

February 11, 2009 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  4. Linda from Prescott AZ

I'm sad to see all the nasty posts. Can we not just enjoy our first lady and her gracefulness.

Shame on you nasties.

February 11, 2009 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  5. groidslayer

"for the first time in my adult life, i'm proud to be an American."

she actually uttered these words when she found out her hubby was going to the White House.

She's an utter disgrace and makes me sick. What about all the other accomplishments blacks have made prior to this screw up?? Those didn't count? I guess it only counts if it affects her....can you say self involved, phoney,etc.

February 11, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  6. Brian G, Sugar Land, TX

Hey, focus folks: Michelle is a one woman stimlulus package!

Do you realize how many women are going to be clammering at the stores for Michelle-look-a-like outfits? Good for her, good for the economy and good for all the good looking women of color everywhere...even those adorable older white women! ;-)

February 11, 2009 02:49 pm at 2:49 pm |
  7. Bob

What is wrong with people? She is not an attractive women inside or out. She hates America and is racist. Proof – read her anti-white, anti-America thesis paper, the church she attended, first time being proud of America. She is a phony!

February 11, 2009 02:50 pm at 2:50 pm |
  8. JT

The first lady looks good whatever she wears. IF THESE HATERS ON THE BLOG WANTS TO HATE, THEN LET THEM HATE. THEY JUST MAD BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT HER OR HER HUSBAND!!!

February 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  9. S Callahan

Why is it so bad for Michele to want to dress nice.
    Years ago, it was very common for a woman to go out of her way every Sunday to put on her best, adding gloves and hat and men in suit and tie. It didn't matter how poor one was, the purpose was to look good in the day. Yes, it was also to look ones best in the Presence of the Lord. . I know as a child I loved dressing it up....gave a special feel. The point is, We've lost that pampering...and it's really not a bad thing.

February 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  10. Watcher

Vogue? Michelle has about as much class as a Wal-Mart. Gaack!
    But people will believe anything if you repeat your lie loud enough and often enough. See who that kind of strategy got into the White House?

February 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  11. Proud American

Now that's more like it! I love her outfit on the cover!!

All her other outfits have been heinous to say the least!!
    It looks like she's learning!

February 11, 2009 02:51 pm at 2:51 pm |
  12. Matthew, Detroit

One ugly woman. They need to hire someone to help her dress. At least they bought her a new dress for the inauguration.

February 11, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  13. arithmetic is liberal

aware – the only people calling him 'the savior', 'the One', and 'the Messiah' are people on the conservative side of the aisle. It really makes me wonder what you all think of your own leaders.

Oh wait, everyone all ready knows: In the "Jesus Camp" documentary, children were literally laying their hands on a life-size 'standie' of George Walker Bush to channel God's guiding light into him. It was like a $19.95 alternative to a golden ox!!

So I don't want to hear anything about how we lefties 'worship' Obama. Worshipping Authority is something that only Republicans do.

February 11, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  14. williefloyd

Such bitterness and jealousy!! She doesn't need to impress anyone-just being herself is quite good enough. Ever hear of winter white??? Remember the black & white print she wore on the View?? The company had back orders for months after her appearance there.
    Too bad so many of you can't see the "real" Michele for focusing on her clothes.

She doesn't need to be "Jackie"-she's very much her own person.

February 11, 2009 02:53 pm at 2:53 pm |
  15. Maya

I can't get enough of Michelle.

February 11, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  16. lpc

I'm going to be wearing what I like..........over and over and over and over until this thing is OVER!

Wish I had more to spend on clothes but thankful for what I have.

February 11, 2009 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  17. Kimberly

Virgina~that IS the GOP way right? BURN anything they dont agree with. I for one am glad you are buying it though, it will just boost Vouges sales, not that they will need them, this issue will FLY off the shelves. What a wonderful gracious woman First Lady Michelle is. I am so proud to FINALLY have a woman with brains in the there again. I hope she will follow in Mrs. Sec Of State Clintons footsteps and keep up the political life in 8 years when she leaves the White House. Shes as educated as her husband, and after 8 years in the White House, she will be ready for senate OR PRESIDENT! I love this woman!

February 11, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  18. BJ

To Betty: No, she's no Jackie Kennedy; she's Michelle Obama!

February 11, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  19. lolo

she is beautiful ..give me a break...liberal need cataract surgery..

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  20. Vague.com

I'm sorry, but a pearl necklace doth not an elegant first lady make.

February 11, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  21. JO

I am just reading though and enjoying all of the positive people that have express some joy in this really difficult time. We need these kinds of uplifting thoughts to smile again. I quickly can bypass the negative ones before they bring me down. Thanks to all of those that brought my mood up!

February 11, 2009 02:57 pm at 2:57 pm |
  22. The watcher

Cut the crap. I mean don't we have enough to worry about with the economy and a nitwit at the helm. Only the addle-brained sheep care about this drivel.

February 11, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  23. BJ

To Betty:

No, she's no Jackie Kennedy; she's Michelle Obama!

February 11, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  24. Beth

To all of you commenting on the triviality of this article:

YOU CLICKED ON IT! If people are interested in reading it, CNN will continue to post it. I for one like to read something that's not depressing every once in a while.

February 11, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  25. Eric

Ken, that's what hapens when you make history. If you made history your life would be a reality show to. I bet you would like that. HATER! Obama is doing a GREAT job and he makes it looks good. You probably voted for McCain and his bobble head drug addict partner. Mrs. Obama is a Harvard educated lawyer. Do you see the difference? Obama is a real man of character his choice in his mate should tell you. Drug addict model or Harvard educated lawyer? Which one would you want in the whitehouse?lol

February 11, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |