February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. real Va

It is sad that there are so many little people who will say nasty and spiteful things about the Obamas, or anybody who focuses on the positive world. Angry, arrogant and ignorrant is how 27% of our population choose to live. What a sad and horrible place their perspective of the world is. Blinded by the fear, hate, and bigotry of Fox media, Limpball, Robertson, etc.
    May they find their peace someday.

February 11, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. Marge

Michelle Obama and fashion....ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha with what she wears she could just as soon wear a feed bag and look as good.

What she needs is a dresser. Someone to give her fashion sense. She could look as good as anybody if she only only only knew how to dress and pick something that makes her look good. Those stupid designers she choose are just getting money out of her and doing nothing for her image.

February 11, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. Megw Arizona

WOW Michele is absolutely a "Beautiful Lady" i love her grace and genuine personality. She is so intelligent and classy. I like reading about her and her mommie projects that she is part of. I wanta see more of her and her accomplishments. I definately will buy Vogue magazine NOW!

February 11, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  4. Jimmy D.

Intelligent, graceful, dignified, professional and motherly... Too bad she's married. :(

February 11, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  5. Grace

some of the commentaries here belong in the sewer where the authors live. Michelle

February 11, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  6. Eyes of Texas are Upon You

Goodness gracious – why do they have her big ol butt propped up there? I would think one would try to minimize the misshaped figure she has. It is such a shame that people blow her ego up like this. THAT WOMAN is NOT beautiful, though she may be black!

And, Tiffany, you big dummy – have you EVER seen Cindy McCain disgrace herself in such ill-fitting, designed, fabricated clothing? Hell no. She has good taste. That one's wife obviously has ghetto taste!

February 11, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  7. honeychild

She is absolutely beautiful in and out. And finally a First Lady in the White House who understands my hair!!!

February 11, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  8. Sarah Palin graces the cover of Moosekill Gazette

The Republicons are out of ideas. They are just seething with hatred and envy of the Obamas. Get ready to become a permanent minority party. The politics, public opinion, and demographics are working against you.

Mrs. Obama looks amazing.

February 11, 2009 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  9. Mari

@ GROIDSLAYER......... YOU LIE. MRS. OBAMA ......DID.......NOT........UTTER THOSE WORDS WHEN SHE FOUND OUT HE WOULD BE IN THE WHITE HOUSE!

She said this about a year ago! AND WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING HONEST??? HAVE YOU NOT READ HISTORY????

THE WAY BLACKS AND OTHER MINORITIES HAVE BEEN TREATED IN OUR COUNTRY....... WAS PLAIN EVIL!

WE ARE NOT A PERFECT COUNTRY......... WE ARE DOING MUCH BETTER .........NOW.

February 11, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  10. Angel1966

Betty,

No, she is not Jackie Kennedy and is not trying to be. You on the other hand, is no Jackie Kennedy either. What 's the matter, her color offends you. Are your scared that the beauty standards set by the insecures might change? I would welcome that so our children don't have to eat paper and count their lettuces to look like a hat pin.

Thank you.

February 11, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  11. obama-mama

My Shero

February 11, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  12. Joanne65

I did not like her choice of a white gown. It made her look larger than she already is. I do not find her the least bit attractive but looks shouldn't matter.

February 11, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  13. Sherrie

Why is Michelle getting the blame for the state of the economy? I am sure she did not beg Vogue to feature her on the cover of their magazine because the people at Vogue are pretty smart and as such they alway choose the right face regardless of race to grace the covers of their magazine. Like many others have said, the economy is in a bad state right now and having a little distraction like Michelle being on the covers of Vogue gives us a break from all the other stressors.

Surprisely, I dont hear anyone bashing the people who brought us to the point we are. Lighten up and give the Obama's a break. No matter how hard the haters try to say it is not about race, essentially that is what it boils down to. I have only seen so much hatred displayed because of race and religion. They are the President and First Lady. Deal with it!

If you all love this country as you claim and want things to be better. Get rid of the hate and start juding people by the work they do and not by the color of their skin or their origin. Go volunteer at a shelter, be a mentor to a youth, something. At the end of the day I can assure you you will feel better.

February 11, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  14. kay kay

Cro-Magnon chic!

February 11, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  15. Shirley in California

I think I'll go out and buy my FIRST ISSUE of Vogue. Michelle keep doing what you're doing. Ignore the ignorant comments and take notes on the constructive criticism.

February 11, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Chelle

It's not the clothes that makes the WOMAN!!!

I hope she's on more magazine covers

February 11, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Farrell, Houston, Tx

THERE ARE THOSE WHO SAY WHAT'S MORE IMPORTANT IS THE ECONOMY THAN MICHELLE'S CLOTHES BUT ON THE OTHER HAND COMMENT ON THE CLOTHES SHE WEARS. THEN WE HAVE THOSE WHO JUST BELIEVE IN BURNING DOWN A HOUSE THEY DIDN'T BUILD, CAN'T BUILD AND WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO BUILD, JUST DESTROY. WEAR WHAT YOU LOVE AND NOT WHAT OTHERS THINK BUT FIRST OF ALL CLOTHE YOURSELF IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN HATE AND ANGER.

February 11, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. Camilla

hey groidslayer – you are back at the "proud to be an american moment" ... First Lady Michelle Obama was talking about the political process. Not about her ethnicity or that of her husband. She was proud of how people – the American people – were groundbreaking in their involvement in the political process (not even specific to the supporters of her husband). Can you think you can admit to your misinterpretation and get passed it?

February 11, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  19. obama-mama

Iolo I can imagine what you look like. Beauty comes from inside. You could be the prettiest person but still ugly on the inside which sounds like what you are. Probably on the outside too.

February 11, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  20. Shirley in California

By the way, I love the picture CNN. She looks real and relaxed. Best picture yet of her.

February 11, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. obama-mama

All the dogs on here that are saying she is not attractive need their eyes checked. She is beautiful inside and outside. I would love to see a pix of you twits....

February 11, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. Give me a break!

They asked Sarah Palin to be on the cover...but she wanted them to buy her clothes as well. Speaking of Sarah (I know...I just threw up in my mouth, too), shouldn't she be home – governing a state where people don't have enough food to eat? Maybe she can shoot a few wolves from a helicopter for them...I'm just sayin....

February 11, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  23. Boston Irish

@ Claire, MN – Who cares what she wears?

Well, apparently she does. She's always yammering on about clothes. You'd think she'd have better taste. Maybe she's one of those that doesn't look in the mirror closely before she goes out.

February 11, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. Dudgie

Guys, guys, if nobody buys the clothes what will happen to jobs in the garment industry? Whether I would wear everything Michelle Obama wears is immaterial. She wears affordable clothing that anyone could buy, unlike most first ladies have done.

February 11, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. Alice

That's the best picture I've ever seen of her. Maybe it's so good because her big mouth is shut, and you can't see her horse teeth.

February 11, 2009 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |