February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Joanne65

Melba there is nothing slim about the first lady. She has extremely large hips.

February 11, 2009 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. Dentist

It's ashame she doesn't do something about her bottom teeth (her underbite).

February 11, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  3. One Vote

I did not know that beauty has a political stand. So one needs to be a liberal to think First Lady Michelle Obama is a beautiful charismatic woman? Mm, I think she is – and I quite fancied Former First Lady Laura Bush as well!

February 11, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  4. Monet

Joanne65 YOU ARE A PLAYER HATER.

MICHELLE BY FAR A A BETTER CHOICE THAN CRACK HEAD CINDY.

IMAGINE HER POPPING PILLS IN THE BATHROOM

February 11, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  5. DeLois Butler

Michelle looks ok in her clothes, however she needs makeup to go with them. The lack of makeup is a real deterrent. She looks awful
    without makeup, it would enhance her so much. Please Michelle
    put some makeup on your face each and every time you leave the White House.

I am not trying to be mean, honey some of us MUST have it. The night you and the President went to the ballet, your makeup and lipstick was simply beautiful, you looked like a million dollars. Keep the hair permed and please, please, wear some makeup. I do not care what
    you wear, but your hair and your face MUST be in tact, otherwise you look like you just got out of the bed. You can wear JCrew, or any other
    and other brand it looks like nothing when your face and hair is not
    perfect.

February 11, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  6. i am michelle

this woman is so amazing it makes my skin burst! I mean beauty emanates from her whole body! Just say it plainly....SHE'S SEXY and SHE'S THE FIRST LADY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA! She's the wife and mother I want to become! GO MICHELLE! I LOVE YOU!

February 11, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  7. Beautiful

because no tan is needed!

February 11, 2009 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  8. Wood

Kay Kay is racist!!!

February 11, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  9. mel from nc

I love the fact that she wants comfort and grace in her style. Kudos to her!!! She's right, there will be those who don't like her style but they may look like $&#@ themselves. As long as she loves her look then she is ahead of the game....fads and wasted money on trying to be or look like someone who you're not is a waste of time and effort.

February 11, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. Who Cares

You know if this were a white first lady no big deal. Flock like sheep everybody!

February 11, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. Lush Limprick the REAL RNC Chairman!

'She's no Jackie Kennedy and she never will be'.

Such a profound statement on two points.

1. Mrs.Jackie Onasis, the former Jackie Kennedy is dead.

2. Mrs.Jackie Onasis, the former Jackie Kennedy was white.

Any other bright observations Bigot Bet???

February 11, 2009 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  12. Beautiful and you can't touch that

Thank goodness black woman don't have to get botox, breat creations and no flat butss.

Only DOGGS like bones

February 11, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  13. Barbara

As a life-long liberal who has been disappointed by the Kennedys and the Clintons, I remain optimistic and hopeful about the Obamas. But I hope Michelle doesn't get too focused on her "fashions." She is beginning to act as if a $2000 dress is a bargain–many of us dress an entire family on that. Please Michelle, I know where you can by very attractive outfits for less as $200 dollars.

February 11, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  14. Matthew, Detroit

I am sure she s better off being born in the US than in Jamaica or Kenya.

People need to stop blaming the US past for the present.

If that was true she would be in Kenya and living in a nice little hut next to her guy barack. They could make clay pots.

If it was not for the US her people would never have had a chance black or white.

February 11, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  15. Frantastic

First of to groidslayer, you sound as if you are having a bad day. Have a better one. As said many times, this is a good distraction for us. Griping and moaning about the economy every miniute of everyday is not going to help. Yeah there are more important things but hey even God rested on the seventh day. So get off the soap box. Also THE MEDIA is the one blowing up her every move. She didn't ask for it. She probably is a lot more sick of it than some of you. She never aspired to or is not trying to be Jackie O. Get a grip.
    Who's the loser bringing Cindy McCain into this. That is stupid. Yeah she was an elegant dresser. Well put together. We're not taking that away from her. In fact she would be going through the same thing. come on peeps get over it! This is a relatable human being celebrate it! peace

February 11, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  16. Z

I like Michelle; she is a normal woman, who is comfortable with herself. She's definitely not a lolli-pop girl (stick for a body), and I think that's great. She provides inspiration for all women, and I hope she's as influential in her husband's decisions as Hillary was for Bill.

Michelle is a beautiful lady, and anyone who thinks otherwise should take a look in the mirror...you're probably nothing to write home about.

February 11, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  17. Max - from Toronto

Death of America by Obama –

I think you are a bit confused – this is an article about MICHELLE OBAMA – not your reflection in the mirror! Thought i should just clairify this for you, no need to thank me!

February 11, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Elle

From some of the outfits I've seen her wear in the past ... the only taste she has is in her mouth.

February 11, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. C W

I've always thought Michelle Obama is a very attractive woman. Beautiful eyes, fabulous bone structure, gorgeous skin! To be so lucky!

February 11, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. Linda from Prescott AZ

to: Eyes of Texas are upon you....
    How crude and vulger you are.
    And no you wouldn't see little cindy in jcrew; she pays thousands and thousands for her outfits.

Mrs. Obama is gorgeous, smart and I'm sure a hell of a lot smarter than the likes of you.

February 11, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Helloooo

For all of you complaining that she is buying dresses while the economy is tanking: That's why the economy is tanking! We need to be more responsible, of course, but the people hanging on to every penny need to get it circulated. It's a vicious circle! We need to keep the money moving. If we buy a dress, the salesclerk get paid, the store owner gets paid, the factory worker gets paid, and on down the line.

February 11, 2009 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Robin

Mari,

Get off your soap box.

Anybody, again ANYBODY, can be anything they want if they work hard.

Color of skin does not matter. Mrs. Obama can tell you that, since she came from meager beginnings and has a resume to die for.

When I look at a person, I look at the content of their character If you just want a hand out, and wants big government to save you all the time, I don't think much of you.

Most Americans work for everything they have, and it has worked well for us.

February 11, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. From Minnesota

"Eyes of Texas are Upon You" – You are beyond a disgrace to this nation. You just made me vomit a little. You are a bloody racist. How dare you. The North is watching YOU!

February 11, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. Beautiful and you can't touch that

HAS ANYONE WITH A BRAIN NOTICE THE DISASTER'S ON ALL THE RACIST STATES

Oklahoma, Texas, KENTUCKY...... need I say more. RACIST HATE WILL CONTINUE TO BRING DESTRUCTION ON YOUR STATES

KEEP UP THE PLAYER HATING....I'M LOVING IT
    I LOVE YOU MICHELLE AND OBAMA

I ALSO LOVE YOU KEITH OLBERMAN

February 11, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  25. johnny

She's a beautiful person inside and out.

February 11, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |