February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Right here in AZ

She is a role model, and for the first time in my adult life I am REALLY proud to be an American. We finally threw the right wing nuts out of office, and wont let them back in. They are all haters, and uneducated. Madam First Lady thank you for being so real, and such an insperation. I hope to see you in politics after the 8 years in the white house.

February 11, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  2. Leslie

Eyes on Texas: McCain lost, get over it. The first lady looks great. Old man McCains wife looks bitter and nasty on her best day. Can't compare the two.

February 11, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. Makee

I like the fact that Mrs. Obama doesn't insult the American public by wearing rediculously expensive designer clothes and jewelry in this economy. Unlike another Presidential candidate's wife....$280,000 earrings? That's a slap in the face of many Americans that are suffering now. Of course she's not going to wear J.C Penney when meeting with dignitaries, but she doesn't seem to sear $3,000 suits either. I think she shows grace, style and sense.

February 11, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  4. Matthew, Detroit

Oh yeah, now that HIllary she was one ugly woman.

February 11, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  5. Soccer Nana

@groidslaye,

You have not lived life as a black, colored, negro, african-american (whatever we call ourselves these days) in America; otherwise, you would understand Mrs. Obama's statement. Get real; you and everyone else knew exactly what she meant.

We have always loved our Country; we have not always been "proud" of our Country. Would you be proud of a country that sends you off to war and when you come home, you are NOT ALLOWED to march in the parades (WWI and WWII). Would you be proud of a country where they build WWII museums and they leave out what the soldiers of color contributed? Would you be proud of a country that denied you a bank loan to purchase a home you could afford with your GI bill simply because you were black? Would you be proud of a country that judge you simply on the basis of your color and not the content of your character?

Mrs. Obama NEVER said she did not love her Country; she simply stated what she felt after her husband won a primary.

February 11, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. who cares - you must

who cares wrote 'if this was a white first lady no one would care.' You couldn't be more wrong. Fashions of the first ladies have long been of public interest.

Was Jackie Kennedy African-American? No. How about Nancy Reagan?

Get a clue, or a decent shepherd.

February 11, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. DIANA LAWLESS

SHE DEFINITELY NEEDS SOME FASHION HELP – SHE IS NOT HEAVY BUT BIG BONED WITH WIDE HIPS. She just needs someone who can accentuate her best qualities. I think she is very attractive. The innaugeration dress did nothing to flatter her figure. She should focus on darker colors which accentuate her waist. She should develop a classic look that all women will admire. I appreciate she is not one to feel that she needs to spend a fortune to look good. She will be a wonderful first lady. Im looking forward to the next four years. I know she will make a difference and it will be exciting to see the fruits of her labor. I think she is a wonderful lady.

February 11, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. NC

no she isn't jackie kennedy, betty is betty, obama is a messiah, and all liberals think his way is the only way............no spending package, no pork, nobama

February 11, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  9. Martha in Connecticut

I am absolutely stunned by the level of racism expressed in these hatred-filled posts. It should give any intelligent, loyal American some serious pause. Is this really what we want the world to see in us? How tragic. And how fundamentally unAmerican. Whether you like Michelle Obama's clothes or not... Ii think very few of you who are posting this vitriol can hold a candle to her IQ. We've had 8 long years of mindless stupidity in Washington. Thank God intelligence is finally back in "Vogue." Now if we could just get some of it into these posts...

February 11, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  10. Frost

so nice to have a first lady again with style and grace

Beautiful woman both inside and out. and a role model for all our daughters.

February 11, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  11. Peter (Up in Canada)

Up here in Canada we have a Prime Minster, he's got a nice looking wife and a very fine family but we don't worry about what the Prime Minister's wife wears.

Granted, Mrs. Michelle Obama is very pretyy, a mother and she happens to be married to President Obama but , do you really care what she wears?

In a way your curiosity on what she wears, is hilarious because when was the last time you read what the folks in England think what Mrs, Brown wears, or the Russians about Mrs. Putin, or the Venezuelans about Mrs. Chavez, or the Cubans about Mrs. Castro.

February 11, 2009 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  12. Zee

Who's moderating the raci... o yeah "freedom of speech". Anyway, Michelle Obama rocks!

February 11, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  13. Tesap:Savannah, GA

??? RENEE WHO'S TALKING ABOUT SARAH PALIN????

STAY ON TOPIC...........

February 11, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  14. avoter

Groidslayer
    Your quote on what Michelle said is not accurate.

February 11, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  15. Eileen

Renee – you are a truly obnoxious individual to make a comment like that. Jealous little soul aren't we.....

February 11, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  16. MeMe

It amazes me that there is so much hate in America. What ever happened to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

February 11, 2009 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  17. Shonda C

I think Michelle dresses lovely and I admire her taste in clothes. She is very conservative yet classy.

February 11, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  18. Josh, CA

@Renee Mez

Yeah, so try not to put so much lipstick on your mother. I really didn't know gorillas had pigs.

February 11, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  19. Virginia

@ Beautiful and you can't touch that.....are you related to Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell???? Give me a break–disaster didn't strike those states because they are racist anymore than disaster struck New Orleans because of their "immoral behaviors". I happen to be a Kentuckian who is a transplant to Virginia. And I am NOT racist. Again, give me a break and quit using the race card everytime someone says something you don't agree with. I don't think Michelle Obama does anything for fashion either, but it isn't because I am racist. I didn't like Cindy McCain's clothes either.

February 11, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  20. mary

Renee Mez.... your comment was hateful , ugly and meansprited. Grow up!

February 11, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Gardi

Those of you who are disagreeing with Michelle's taste out of sheer difference of opinion...quite understandable. But those who are speaking from a dark part of their human nature will end up destroying their own character. Humility is true beauty...Arrognance will always be ugly to the bone marrow.

February 11, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  22. Twinkie

Some of the comments are extremely disturbing to me. I will now add a few cent. I don't think she's Jackie O'. As a matter of fact I know she isn't. She's Michelle Obama. I personally like her style. I like that she wears what she likes and after all, that's really all that matters. I'll bet you wear what you like too. I don't know her personally and neither does anyone else on this thread probably so I'll just say that what I've seen of her I like. I appreciated that she seems to be a loving spouse, great mom, and her own woman to boot. That's something for anyone to take pride in.

As to her being on the Vogue cover, yippee for Vogue. Who wouldn't want to interview the First Lady, no matter who she is? As to the economy, if she buys a dress or 10 dresses, as long as it's her and her husband's money it's none of my business or your business for that matter. In fact, that's good for the economy. But I suspect that some folks will not be pleased no matter what. If she wore the same outfit a few times, someone would complain about that too so I say Bravo First Lady! Do Your Thang!!!!

February 11, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. Virginia

Oh, and what is wrong with JC Penny clothes–I wear them all the time, to dress up or down. About the same price as J Crew clothes, and she wore that on national TV!

February 11, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  24. James L.

I love Mrs. Obama, love the that fact that she is a very sexi, strong Black Woman who looks good because she is good inside. Keep up the good work Mrs. Obama and stay BLACK. God continue to bless you and your family and thank you for being a good BLACK woman and proud.

February 11, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Ray Ray

I guess it proves Obama loves his women and politics the same – PORKY.

February 11, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |