February 11th, 2009

Michelle Obama to grace new Vogue

The first lady is interviewed for an article in the March issue of Vogue and is also featured on the magazine's cover.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – First lady Michelle Obama, who has been called a new fashion icon, will grace the cover of Vogue’s March issue.

“'I love clothes,'” she tells the magazine.

“'First and foremost, I wear what I love. That’s what women have to focus on: what makes them happy and what makes them feel comfortable and beautiful. If I can have any impact, I want women to feel good about themselves and have fun with fashion.'”

But the new first lady is also pragmatic and is willing to take some fashion criticism here and there. “'I’m not going to pretend that I don’t care about it,'” Mrs. Obama says of negative reviews of the outfit she wore in Grant Park on Election Night.

“'But I also have to be practical. In the end, someone will always not like what you wear – people just have different tastes. Some will think that sweater was horrible, [but] I was cold; I needed that sweater!'”

Related video: Vogue editor on Obama cover

The first lady has developed a reputation for spotlighting the work of young, up-and-coming designers with her outfit choices. Her choice of a Jason Wu inauguration ball gown thrust the 26-year-old designer into the spotlight, designer Isabel Toledo also garnered attention because of the ensemble Michelle Obama chose to wear to her husband’s swearing-in, and J. Crew has benefited from the first lady’s affinity for the company’s clothing.

Filed under: Michelle Obama • Popular Posts
  1. Q

to all who think MO's hips are too big.....

It seems to me that BO likes those hips just fine.....and that is all that matters!

February 11, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  2. johnny

It's amazing the fever pitch the hate from the right has reached. Just horrible ugly people.

February 11, 2009 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  3. dj

It is so sad that in this day and age there are people like Renee Mez. I guess she knows about putting lipstick on a gorilla from her daily make up routine.

February 11, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  4. Franz

Michelle Obama has an incredible liofe story. She has raised wondeful children, had an amazing career in Chicago and has been an inspiration to many people. While all the negativity from some folks on the blog? Let's move forward and put all the hate aside. First Lady Obama is an asset to this country.

February 11, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  5. carolflowery

lovely, when will our new commander in chief be visiting our troops in Iraq that he talked about for what is it now 2 years and something o more...when will he be going there, he seems to have time to talk to other nations and needing the taxpayers money, when is going to visit the troops

February 11, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. Lisa

Michelle is a beautiful representation of what it means to be... All that matters in the end is not what other think or say but the life of integrity and love she lives in front of those who are valuable to her... her husband, her children, her family.... and they love and adore her and if anyone knows anything about the black woman then they know that is her strength...

February 11, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  7. Hannity

is equal to Dave Duke

"Eyes of the Almighty are Upon You racist people"

February 11, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. E

These comments in here are shameful. I had no fondness for either Mrs. Bush, but I never said such hateful things about them. Republicans are such sore loses they just have to try to cut down everyone who isn't white, perfect adn rich.

February 11, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  9. 30m-Democrat-voted Clinton then McCain

I want to puke.

February 11, 2009 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  10. MJJofSara

Please, people; do NOT try to compare Michelle Obama to Jackie Kennedy.
    Jackie Kennedy came from wealth and had special designers to help mask her problem areas. and she acknowledged she had them.
    That's where the popular trendy A line dress came from ....
    and give the First Lady a little slack. she will enjoy being first lady and will take on new clothes as time goes along. Right now she likes sweater sets. So What. sheesh.... look at how well she speaks and how sincere she is. SHE IS AUTHENTIC. I love how she is.

February 11, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  11. Beah

It's amazing what some people say about Michelle. I know people that are on welfare and buy expensive clothes. Michelle is now the United States first lady and should be proud of her. She is highly educated and she is a role model to all women regardless of the color of their skin.

February 11, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. Rose

Glad she is out there strutting her stuff on a fashion magazine while American families are losing their homes, jobs, and children are worried about whether they will have food to eat or a bed to sleep in.
    Do your little dance on the runway Michelle.

February 11, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  13. Hannity

30m-Democrat-voted Clinton then McCain February 11th, 2009 3:42 pm ET

I want to puke.

Do what you have to.......Exile

February 11, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. Nicey

The haters are having a hard time accepting this....HA HA HA !!

February 11, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  15. laura from Ontario

Eyes of Texas, and death to America, As a Canadian I find your comments deeply racist and I am white.

Mrs. Obama is a true role model Harvard Graduate and she could spend money on clothes but she dresses in what is appropriate for the times.
    You need to look beyond your own country because half of the world Canada included would love to have the Obama be our leader and Michelle Obama is not only smart but a lovely woman.

February 11, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  16. BJ

Sorry...I just don't find her attractive.

February 11, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  17. Chesapeake

@ Peter (up in Canada)

The reason America focuses on what the first lady wears is typically the past first ladies didn't do a whole lot. So the media focused on what they wore to make them relevant.

But they are going to be very surprised by First Lady Michelle Obama cause I have a feeling she is not going to be your typical first lady. True she will care about fasion as most women do but she is a highly educated woman who will for sure have her own platform.

February 11, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  18. Hannity

MeMe THESE CLOWNS WOULD RATHER LOOK AT CRACK HEAD CINDY MCLAME OR MOOSEY SARAH....UCK

February 11, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  19. Tim

Note to all the Lib "Progressive" Dems - you insulted and made derogatory comments all the while the Bushes were in the White House from day one. Now that you are the top dog so to speak, you will need to endure this for the next four years. What goes around comes around. So when people say rude things about Michelle just remember all the horrible things that members of your party said about Laura Bush and her daughters. Pay back I think it is called.

February 11, 2009 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  20. Mickie

The bigots will never go away. I think Michelle is a great role model and inspiration for all women everywhere. It's time women learned to please themselves instead of the way it was when I grew up and women were property - and I'm caucasian (mixed mutt). I can't imagine what it would have been like to be black and I witnessed the cruelty to blacks in the 50's, 60's, etc. I admire Michelle.

February 11, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |
  21. METBP

Hope Micelle isn't hurt by the cruel criticism she'll be hearing in the next four years. What a great example the Obamas are to those who have felt left out of the American Dream. She looks healthy and happy. I for one am glad she isn't a size 4...

February 11, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  22. Hannity

HEY! 30m-Democrat-voted Clinton then McCain February 11th, 2009 3:42 pm ET

I want to puke.

AND THANK GOODNESS THEY BOTH LOST WHAT A WASTED VOTE.

30m-Democrat-voted Clinton then McCain NEXT TIME STAY YOUR SORRY TALE HOME

February 11, 2009 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  23. Debbie

Wake up and be kind. We have an extremely classy and intelligent First Lady ~~~ one to be proud of. Just as we should feel proud of the First Ladies that preceded her. Everyone of them deserve our respect and humility, not our sarcasm. We should not compare the First Ladies because they all have different qualities and excell in different areas. They are our First Ladies and they deserve our respect! Didn't anyone ever tell you "if you don't have anything NICE to say, don't say anything at all"?

February 11, 2009 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  24. Matt, Chico, CA

"Grace" the cover of Vogue? Nothing about this woman says grace.

February 11, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  25. Valerie Grves

If I might interrupt the hate debate for just a moment, let me say that I adore the First Lady and admire her accomplishments and parenting. I also look forward to the evolution of her style toward even greater elegance. Appearing in Vogue is a perfect chance to take her fashion sense to the next level, which isn't necessarily about more money.

OK, Haters, back to the spew. Obama won. So did you, except you're apparently not smart enough to know it.

February 11, 2009 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |