February 12th, 2009

BREAKING: Gregg withdraws

ALT TEXT

Sen. Judd Gregg is the second person to withdraw from consideration for the post of Commerce Secretary in the Obama administration. (Photo Credit: Getty Images/File)

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Republican Sen. Judd Gregg of New Hampshire released a statement Thursday withdrawing from consideration to be President Obama's Commerce Secretary.

Full statement follows:

“I want to thank the President for nominating me to serve in his Cabinet as Secretary of Commerce. This was a great honor, and I had felt that I could bring some views and ideas that would assist him in governing during this difficult time. I especially admire his willingness to reach across the aisle.

“However, it has become apparent during this process that this will not work for me as I have found that on issues such as the stimulus package and the Census there are irresolvable conflicts for me. Prior to accepting this post, we had discussed these and other potential differences, but unfortunately we did not adequately focus on these concerns. We are functioning from a different set of views on many critical items of policy.

“Obviously the President requires a team that is fully supportive of all his initiatives.

“I greatly admire President Obama and know our country will benefit from his leadership, but at this time I must withdraw my name from consideration for this position.

“As we move forward, I expect there will be many issues and initiatives where I can and will work to assure the success of the President’s proposals. This will certainly be a goal of mine.

“Kathy and I also want to specifically thank Governor Lynch and Bonnie Newman for their friendship and assistance during this period. In addition we wish to thank all the people, especially in New Hampshire, who have been so kind and generous in their supportive comments.

“As a further matter of clarification, nothing about the vetting process played any role in this decision. I will continue to represent the people of New Hampshire in the United States Senate.”

Related: Gregg pick for Commerce sets of partisan fight over 2010 census

Filed under: Obama administration
  1. Griff

Keeping Distance!!! I don't blame anyone for that...
    Most of you live in dilusion....

February 12, 2009 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  2. ijoe

yea rite !! he got fired !!!!

February 12, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  3. Bea

Politics over country....interesting

February 12, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  4. sg

Translation – I can't work with the fool!

February 12, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  5. brad

Honestly I think this speaks well for both men. Obama's willingness to consider outside his party and Gregg being honest to himself and Obama. Good luck to both.

February 12, 2009 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  6. Debra, NY

Lame.

February 12, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  7. EBC, MD

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Who does Judd Gregg think he's fooling. He's HIDING something. NO ONE backs out unless they've got something to HIDE, HIDE, HIDE!! Bottom line.

Let's hear the REPUGS excuses on this guy's cowardness!! The guy chickened out big time.

I hope the media DIGS deep into the REAL reason.

February 12, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  8. Me

Sounds like he's scared of the Repbulican machine backlash and, after all, getting re-elected is more important than working across the aisle to fix America

February 12, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  9. Patriot Guy

Another Republican comes to his senses.

February 12, 2009 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  10. Casey | Sebastopol, CA

Hooray! Now let's put a Democrat who isn't in Congress in that position, okay?

February 12, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  11. Denise

He's going down with the party of obstruction. Good call. At least you admit your flaws.

February 12, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  12. Marcia, Marcia, Marcia in CA

Good, he should never have been offered the position in the first place.

February 12, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  13. Len

President Obama wants to be bi-partisan, but the Repulicans do not. This is a perfect example. They really are Obstructionists!

February 12, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  14. Geez!

What a dope! He gave into his own sinking party! I believe he did it just to create more drama for the President. Come on already!

February 12, 2009 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |
  15. Matthew, Detroit

Gregg shows great integrity to stand by his beliefs.

He has different vies than the President and this conflict would not allow him to represent beliefs that are not consistent.

February 12, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  16. P. Y.

Who cares ! I didn't think he was a good choice anyway. Glad he is gone. NEXT !

February 12, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  17. Jon Davis

Good. Since Gregg is vulnerable, that's keeps his seat in play for a Democratic takeover in 2010.

February 12, 2009 04:23 pm at 4:23 pm |
  18. TjayeInLA

Oh please; typical Republican. He can't come in and work with those who think differently and negotiate. He needs someone to do it HIS way, so he deflects the blame to the President and accuses him of needing Yes People.

Sorry, Senator...there are too many different voices in the administration for anyone who is not a partisan Republican to believe what you claim.

February 12, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  19. luke

wow, what didn't he know before he accepted it......I just don't get it!!

February 12, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  20. Laverne

Actually this is GREAT News. Gregg was not the right person for the job anyway. Obviously Gregg is feeling a lot of pressure of the republicans and caved in. Oh well, he would have been a hinderance anyway! Good rindance!

February 12, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  21. Priam Pillai

I guess no one wants to be commerce secretary.

February 12, 2009 04:24 pm at 4:24 pm |
  22. dan

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ! That means one more Republican will remain in the Senate. YES ! ! Best news I heard all day. I guess the dims will have to find another way to get that filibuster proof 60. This also goes to illustrate the fact that it was a Republican that withdrew for the right reasons and not some scandal dealing with taxes...HAHAHA !

February 12, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  23. obama-mama

I'm glad he withdrew....He didn't look trustworthy anyway.

February 12, 2009 04:25 pm at 4:25 pm |
  24. USA LOVER

Country first, my arse.....

but i am GLAD.

February 12, 2009 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  25. Lopez

FOX NEWS can't show the PRESIDENT because of BAD SATELLITE . What a BS !

February 12, 2009 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |