February 12th, 2009

Crunch time: Final stimulus details in the works

ALT TEXT

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday an agreement has been reached between the House and Senate on the stimulus bill, but is there a deal? (GETTY IMAGES)

(CNN) - Congress is set to send a $789 billion economic stimulus package to President Obama's desk by Monday after lawmakers worked around a disagreement over education funding in the package.

The stimulus deal was struck Wednesday after another furious day of negotiations on Capitol Hill involving House and Senate leaders, Obama administration officials and a trio of moderate Republicans.

The agreement represents a deal that everyone can live with, Democratic leadership sources said.

Sen. Max Baucus, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, said it is possible the House of Representatives could take up the bill as early as Thursday and the Senate possibly Friday, meeting Obama's timetable of having the bill on his desk by Presidents Day, which is Monday.

Full story

Filed under: House • Senate
  1. J.P.

We have a choice: bear out 24-30 months of yet another cyclical recession, one that is not nearly as bad or severe as Jimmy Carter's Malaise mess of 1979-1980... (double digit inflation, double-digit unemployment, double-digit interest rates over 20%... those are REAL economic problems)

...or ride out the same 24-30 month cyclical recession AAAAAAAND add nearly NINE TRILLION DOLLARS to the debt (of which the $789B stimulus is but a piece)... and to add insult to injury, very little of the "stimulus" money will arrive in time to do anything for the economy since it will recover on it's own right on schedule...

... and all for the purpose of economically enslaving the next five generations of Americans into government servitude and Soviet-style bleakness.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather suffer my cold now than force five generations of my decendents to take the cyanide pills we're being sold as the cure.

February 12, 2009 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  2. Jim

You are SO right, "aware."

Obama's Rahm Emanuel actually said in November: "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

February 12, 2009 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |
  3. nancy

13.00 extra in your weekly pay beginning in June. Wow, wake up people and smell the lies and deciet before its too late!!!

February 12, 2009 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  4. rich

Got to love how forgetfull republicans are about whose economic policys got here."Death of a party" coming to your town starring the republican party.I give it 5 stars.

February 12, 2009 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  5. rich

February 12, 2009 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  6. Jim

CNN: Do you have a problem with approving my posts. Seems I am constantly awaiting moderation. Maybe I am a little too quick for your moderators. Should I slow down on my typing??

February 12, 2009 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. gary n.

@ aware

We've been in a slow slide since Reagan. It takes years to create the mess we're in now.

February 12, 2009 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |