February 13th, 2009

House passes stimulus, Senate vote expected this evening

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) – In a 246 to 183 vote largely along party lines, the House of Representatives on Friday passed a $787.2 billion economic recovery package that was drawn up, amended and negotiated in record time.

No Republicans voted for the bill, while seven Democrats voted against it. When the House voted on its own version of a stimulus bill a few weeks ago, no Republicans voted for that measure and 11 Democrats had also voted against it.

The Senate is expected to vote on the measure Friday evening. It, too, is expected to pass the bill, but with no more than three Republicans supporting it.

Full story

Filed under: Congress • stimulus plan
  1. Lilarose in Bandon, Oregon

John Boehmer (R-OH) had a tantrum today, throwing a copy of the stimulus plan onto the floor, saying no Republicans had a chance to read it.

CNN also interviewed new member Jared Polis(D-CO), and he said that everyone had many chances to read the entire bill. All they had to do the past 24 hours is read the changes to the bill, not a difficult thing.

HOWEVER, CNN is not showing this interview with Polis. They only want you to see Boehmer.

It's all about the story, right?

February 13, 2009 04:46 pm at 4:46 pm |
  2. clbridwell

Any stimulus plan without support from both sides will tear this country apart period.

February 13, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  3. Is This "Change"

Explain to me how a railroad from L.A. to Las Vegas (Pelosi & Reids Home States)gets $4 billion, and a Coal plant in Illinois(Obamas Home State) gets $2 billion and the home buyer program gets cut?

Last I heard we have a mortgage crisis in America and not a pet project bill to fill politiicians wallets.
    This is not "Change", this is just straight up wrong.

February 13, 2009 04:47 pm at 4:47 pm |
  4. James

Sniffit It tells me that you are an idiot for posting this. How does one judge some ones "religiosity " ??? The Nazis were atheist so what is your point exactly?

February 13, 2009 04:50 pm at 4:50 pm |
  5. Lura, Tyler,MN

Hold it! NOT SO FAST! I thing the Senate should vote NO
    Obama wants a fair package, not one hastily written, full of pork, and one that hasn't been thoroughly read and digested by all members of Congress.He is asking for cooperation from both sides of the House and Senate. I do believe he wants a Congress that will "do it right" than to be blamed for causing more damage to our country.

February 13, 2009 04:51 pm at 4:51 pm |
  6. fella from Chicago

At least with George W. we got $600. out of the stimulus bill along with $300. per dependent. This $400. chump-change of Obama's hopefully will cover my grandson's birthday party at Chuckecheeses this summer.

February 13, 2009 04:52 pm at 4:52 pm |
  7. Dave

It is great being a Democrat. I love it.

I like the sense of justice, I like helping the poor. Heck I like paying taxes when it isn't just to fight an unjust war and pay to eavesdrop on myself.

I support our President. How about you?

February 13, 2009 04:53 pm at 4:53 pm |
  8. TjayeInLA

Good. We can't worry keep trying to work with the Republicans. Their agenda is to put everyone in line with conservatives and if that leaves Americans homeless, hungry and without healthcare, they are fine with that.

This is a good start; let's keep it going.

February 13, 2009 04:54 pm at 4:54 pm |
  9. Matthew, Detroit

This is a shame. Vote No.

This is a bad bill. Too much cost. Too much waste. Any waste at all should not be tolerated.

February 13, 2009 04:55 pm at 4:55 pm |
  10. Quote

Obstructionism as an operating philosophy may feel good to those who indulge in it, but at a time when citizens expect unified government, knee-jerk opposition carries a high degree of political risk.
    So , get rid of these Rethugs & Repubs.

February 13, 2009 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. LadyLindy

Does this mean the house members who voted against it will not be taking any of the stimulus for their states? Hypocrits if they do.

February 13, 2009 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  12. Lee

I'll be waiting for my $13 per paycheck stimulus. Maybe I can buy a few Happy Meals. Biggest waste of tax money on PORK ever. Pelosi, Reid, and Obama deserve tar and feathers.

February 13, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Unshrub

The republicans ran up most of the deficits but now they want to act as if they are the ones who know fiscal restraint. What a bunch of hypocritical buffoons. This is the only time that deficit spending is justified.

February 13, 2009 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Once you vote Black

Got to love the GOP. They will not help the rest of us undo what they have been doing for the past 8 years. Hey, they thought all was well until BHO took office. But now we can see that they still think like Palin does. I hear a 3rd party striking up its band. Between Steele, Rush, the House GOP and Fox it will be clear that they will go the way of the Soviet Block. Splinters. By the way, what ever happened to PUMA?

February 13, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  15. Ray Fisher, Albuquerque, NM

They simply must drag out the drama musn't they??? If these politicians ever did anything timely America would drop dead from amazement instead of boredom. Perhaps one day we can abolish Congress and allow the nation to vote from home on every issue hence a true democracy!!!

February 13, 2009 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. Flabbergasted

Let's try this analogy.....

Your brother-in-law (the Republicans) and his wife (the Democrats) are a financial train wreck. They have fought and argued over finances for years, both making terrible decisions that have left the family (America) with tons of debt. Their personal financial situation is a house of cards, yet they live in a big house, drive a fancy new car, and waste money frivolously. They get deeper and deeper in the hole every month.

Now, the husband takes a trip for a few days and the wife is in complete charge of the family's financial situation for the first time in years, and what does she do? She goes on a shopping spree, buying furs and minks and diamonds and anything else she can think of. And she puts it all on a credit card, because she thinks she needs these things, and she really wants these things. She doesn't care how these things are going to be paid for. Soon, the family goes bankrupt under the crushing weight of this debt.

Welcome to the 2009 Stimulous Plan.

February 13, 2009 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  17. Joan Connolly

To Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe: You girls rock!!! From a fellow "Mainea"

February 13, 2009 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  18. Rick

I'm sure all votes were cast after a careful reading and consideration of all the details in the bill.

February 13, 2009 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  19. Bill, ca

Its sickening to listen to the republican senators like Coburn and chamblisas to the stimulus package.

The just want to leave everything the way it was, do everything for the rich but nothing for hard working americans, ehy call it unconstituenal.

Man,what a bunch of hypocrits.

Get them out I can't listen to that BS anymore.

February 13, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  20. Steve

Can't wait until this bill fails to stimulate the economy. It will be the end of the Democrats for a LONG time!

February 13, 2009 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  21. Franky

"So I ask again,
    Am I so alone and full of pride,
    To never speak out,
    This is my world...This is my world!

Don't tell me now,
    I won't feel those words, I won't feel the lies they tell
    Can you hear my scream...It's for everyone...for everyone!!

I am so afraid of,
    Living in Oblivion,
    I am so afraid,
    of Living in Oblivion"

You should hear the ladies sing that one, is nice! LOL!! And I got the words right too, or here I'll bust out...

February 13, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  22. JJ12345

Dont forget to crucify the seven democrats that voted against it.

February 13, 2009 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  23. Bob in Pa

Yeah, but in A;abama and Mississippi, they don't declare JIhad do they.

February 13, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. L. Epperson

Is this seriously in the stimulus bill?

Up to $198 million for "Payments to Eligible Persons Who Served in the United States Armed Forces in the Far East During World War II." U.S. citizen = $15k, non-U.S. citizen = $9k; it is considered damages for human suffering.

How does this help the average American family?

February 13, 2009 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  25. Gabriel Danaher

I saw hammer the naysayers against the wall....bi-partisian .......Rush Limbaugh said he wants Obama to fail...this is the goal and sole goal of the Republican Party......they dont like the change in the status quo...so whatever attempt to move forward will be twarthed by any means.....

February 13, 2009 05:11 pm at 5:11 pm |