February 14th, 2009

Obama says 'lace 'em up' for service

The White House released an excerpt from President Obama's message on community service, which will air during the NBA All-Stars game Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama - fresh off a political win in Washington after Congress passed his economic stimulus bill - will take his game to another set of constituents: basketball fans.

On Sunday, a pre-taped message from the president in which he promotes community service will air during the NBA All-Stars game in Phoenix, Arizona. Tipoff is at 8 p.m. EST and will air on TNT.

TNT is owned by CNN's parent company Turner Broadcasting System.

Watch an excerpt of Obama's message

"In this time of so much need in our communities and across our country, we are blessed with endless ways to restore hope and opportunity in places that yearn for both," Obama will say according to excerpts released by the White House Saturday.

Obama's plea: "Prepare a care package for a soldier. Read to a child. Or fix up a local basketball court so the next generation can play and grow. ... Log on to USAService.org to find or create a project near you, then gather some friends and lace 'em up."

ALSO: Watch NBA greats weigh in on Obama's game

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Stephen, Missouri

I am proud of how President Obama is using his bully pulpit to touch as many lives as he can. If all the rich NBA stars can heed the call to service, we can have a major impact on so many young people.

Most of these NBA stars come from areas where poverty is so deep. Every little they can contribute will go a long way to help. May they all heed the call. Change has come to America. Let us pull together and help each other.

February 14, 2009 02:48 pm at 2:48 pm |
  2. The Last Patriot

February 14, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  3. Pat, CA

Now that Mr. Negative has "laced up" his porkulus plan, Mr. Positive is back with "hope" . . . LOL!

February 14, 2009 02:52 pm at 2:52 pm |
  4. OBJ Jr From Raleigh

Thank you Mr.President for reminding everyone of the importance of commnuity service we all can get involved some way to help our fellow citizens.

February 14, 2009 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  5. Had It

That's what we all need to do. The gov't cannot do everything for us. We need to do our fair share.

February 14, 2009 02:56 pm at 2:56 pm |
  6. David Bebeau

I am sooooo into this idea of being whole.Helping kids and neighbors.
    Sharing and doing..............Obama is sooooo correct so right about
    Doing something anything together as a nation together and I tell you it will make us whole.
    David Bebeau

February 14, 2009 02:58 pm at 2:58 pm |
  7. Yes We Can!

I'm just loving this! Our President Obama really has the point. Just take a little time and do what you can to help. For the ones that say President Obama is all about spending-WRONG. He breaks it down by leading us to do the simple but needed projects. He's gonna bring out the better angels in us that we all hear him acknowledging. Jump on the train and feel good about our contributions or sit back bitter. The world is changing we are making history for our generations to study the perfecting of the UNION just as President Lincoln did for his era!

February 14, 2009 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  8. Vicki

I think President Obama is right. A lot of us have lost sight of helping others when in need. I think we all need to do our part, and not just always worry about ourselves. By helping someone else, we may just help ourselves!!!

February 14, 2009 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  9. Griff

Love is not Money! Money is what tares love apart...

February 14, 2009 03:03 pm at 3:03 pm |
  10. Mike - Houston

What a fool and hypocrite.

He takes Air Force One, complete with fighter escort, to Chicago for Presidents' Day weekend, while many Americans languish in poverty and fear of job loss.

Get him out of there in 2012.

February 14, 2009 03:04 pm at 3:04 pm |
  11. Suzie McKay, Las Vegas

President Obama's call to service is one that all Americans should answer. I am delighted he has inspired so many of us to contribute to our communities and I hope everyone who reads this article will follow his lead.

February 14, 2009 03:05 pm at 3:05 pm |
  12. Gordon Shumway

Y'all should do volunteer work. What you won't hear is we all should do volunteer work.

February 14, 2009 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  13. Steph

My five year old daughter and I volunteered on MLK Jr day. We had a great time, and we helped our community. We are now planning to volunteer as often as we can. I commend President Obama for continuing to remind us that we can all help improve this country.

February 14, 2009 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  14. Coherent1

The last Patriot said: "Ok Obama, you're gonna tax me, over regulate me, bankrupt the country, bankrupt the next two generations, and now you want me to work for free? Is this guy crazy or what?" .....For real dude? R U serious or is this a little jokey joke?

February 14, 2009 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  15. Marc

I don't know who is more naive: the people who voted for Obama, who are expecting lots of free handouts – as a result of raising taxes on "the rich", or Obama himself, who is expecting the people who voted for him to "lace 'em up". This is going to be pretty humorous! :)

February 14, 2009 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  16. Mobius

Um, our fair share? We're Footing The Bill. Next he'll want blood.

February 14, 2009 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  17. peakarack

Barack Hussein Obama is the greatest hoax in america history.

February 14, 2009 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  18. Larry

---–What is our PRESIDENT doing for anybody for free ?------

February 14, 2009 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Cindy Tx

@The Last Patriot February 14th, 2009 2:52 pm ET
    Ok Obama, you're gonna tax me, over regulate me, bankrupt the country, bankrupt the next two generations, and now you want me to work for free? Is this guy crazy or what?**Where have you been for the last 8 years ...Shut your Sour Puss!!!

February 14, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  20. James

Bankrupt the country? Look at the last 8 years. Over regulate? Look at the last 8 years. Tax me? You're getting tax cuts. Perhaps instead of looking for fault just because there's a (D) after his name instead of an (R) America should look at the fact that someone is trying to restore stability and a sense of duty to a country bankrupt of both since 9/11

February 14, 2009 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  21. Michael

I wish I had enough money or time to help out this president even more. However, I am sure I will be at my job even more hours paying off his "stimulus" plan. 300K/job, folks. What do you want to bet that the average job created pays about 35K? That's change you can believe in!

February 14, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  22. Griff

"Give me your "Hard Earned Savings" now, I will Gamble it at the Track. If! If! If! I win. You will eventually get it back.. "Well, maybe."

February 14, 2009 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  23. strong

People, it is only political rhetoric from BO. Remember he is a politician.

"Lace 'em up" .... now what is that supposed to mean? Empty talk.

February 14, 2009 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  24. Mario, mtl, ca.

The last patriot is a as...h....

February 14, 2009 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  25. Independant Vet

NOT ONE WORD OF HELP FOR OUR DISABLED MILITARY.
    WAY HE ACTS , AN CARRIES ON , HE THINKS OF THEM NO MORE THAN A JUNE BUG ,, IN DECEMBER ON THE SOUTH SIDE.
    ACORN , AN AYERS AN WRIGHT COME FIRST. THEN JUMP ABOARD A PLANE AN FLY AWAY , AN RATCHET UP SAME OLE . YAK , YAK . A FLIP , FLOPPER OF ALL FLIP FLOPPERS. AN THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING. CHANGE , CHANGE , YES WE NEED A CHANGE. START DOING A BETTER JOB. IF YOU DONT KNOW , THEN ASK A FIFTH GRADER . QUITE PUTTING YOUR TRUST IN PELOSI AN REID.

######################################################