February 14th, 2009

Obama says 'lace 'em up' for service

The White House released an excerpt from President Obama's message on community service, which will air during the NBA All-Stars game Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama - fresh off a political win in Washington after Congress passed his economic stimulus bill - will take his game to another set of constituents: basketball fans.

On Sunday, a pre-taped message from the president in which he promotes community service will air during the NBA All-Stars game in Phoenix, Arizona. Tipoff is at 8 p.m. EST and will air on TNT.

TNT is owned by CNN's parent company Turner Broadcasting System.

Watch an excerpt of Obama's message

"In this time of so much need in our communities and across our country, we are blessed with endless ways to restore hope and opportunity in places that yearn for both," Obama will say according to excerpts released by the White House Saturday.

Obama's plea: "Prepare a care package for a soldier. Read to a child. Or fix up a local basketball court so the next generation can play and grow. ... Log on to USAService.org to find or create a project near you, then gather some friends and lace 'em up."

ALSO: Watch NBA greats weigh in on Obama's game

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Proud American

How about fix a playground, or something else besides a basketball court....it's been proven that they're a breeding ground for drug dealers, and besides, saying to fix the basketball courts is catering primarily to inner city blacks; ACORNITES.....try doing something for the rest, the majority, the white people of the country.

February 14, 2009 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. pep

last patriot must be related to Rush Limbaugh Now your cousin is on the radio everyday talking trash just like you but he has a lot of money from people like you whose support him. What have any of you are his million of supporter has done to help out those that are hurting. NOTHING. but all I have to say. When you do wrong or talked down about people who are trying to help. You better look up when thing begin to happen to you. Cause it want be the Messiah Obama as Rush and Sean calls him it will be God the Messiah who will strike you with his vengence cause he said in his word Vengence is mind and I will repay. So all of you who keep putting down others who are tyring help those who is in need will have to answer to God the Messiah. and as for the last patriot your will happen very soon along with Rush and Sean.

February 14, 2009 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. Proud American

@ Last Patriot – you're exactly right....these liberal idiots that post here obviously are still hung over from the inaugeration party; fresh off their win with the wave of corruption that got Obama in office....they'll sober up once they actually have to work to pay, as well as their kids and grand kids....for the dems bad decision. Too many people voted for this guy because they're lazy and want a handout...and he played on that with buzzwords like "hope," and "change..."

Liberalism really is a disease.

February 14, 2009 08:02 pm at 8:02 pm |
  4. I think you meant to say "The Worst Patriot"

to "The Last Patriot" at 2:52

The patriotic thing to do is to pay your taxes (no taxes, no government, no country), be responsible (then you won't need gov't regulation), help the country out of this mess (the LAST president allowed the catastrophes which THIS president now has to get us out of, expensive though it may be), and – horror of horrors – read to a child. It's called volunteering, and yes, you do it for free.

Think about it, instead of regurgitating the talking points.

I hope you can outgrow your "me me me" version of patriotism.

February 14, 2009 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  5. Proud American

@ SENSIBLE IN CAPE CORAL – you're about as uneducated and ill-informed as they come...

Liberalism really is a disease.

February 14, 2009 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  6. Matt

this country is full of ignorant and unintelligent people who will always hate democrats no matter what. and in their ignorance and stupidity they will label themselves patriots when in fact they are guilty of hate and treason.

February 14, 2009 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. Ann

I take issue with this. After working 60plus hours a week and paying tens of thousands of dollars in annual taxes I need to come home and volunteer my time to help our country. Where do I sign up?

February 14, 2009 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  8. define "patriot"

to "the last patriot" at 2:52pm

You inspired me to look up the word "patriot", and it says, "a person who loves, supports, and defends his or her country and its interests with devotion."

Note that a patriot defends the COUNTRY'S interests, not SELF-interest.

Next time, you can identify yourself as "The United States of ME ME ME"

February 14, 2009 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. Jeff

w.l. jones: What in the h#|| are you talking about? Is that one of them there public edumucations that taught you to speak so well?

February 14, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  10. Rick, Chicago

I'd like to know the US Taxpayers cost for Obama to fly to Chicago for the weekend? I suspect it's a little more than a few Auto executive to fly to DC. Hipe Obama knows we are in recession – Walk the walk and talk the talk.....

Happy Valentines Day.

February 14, 2009 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  11. yuri

Garnering and mustering support from NBA players and veterans seems like a finesse to us.

February 14, 2009 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  12. Magellan

Jeema-
    Even if you think Obama is racist or a friend of terrorists; get your facts straight: even those who accuse Obama of not being capitalist call him a socialist, not a Marxist, idiot
    Wait, do you know Africa is a continent, not a country?
    How old are you, you piece of garbage?

February 14, 2009 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  13. Ivan

Wait I thought we were already bankrupted for a generation thanks to good ol' Bush and his great tax cuts and Iraq war. So now that money is finally being spent on the United States people complain. I hope Last Patriot would know something about history and how the New Deal helped us out of the Great Depression. Or how the best president in U.S. history, Ike Eisenhower, used infrastructure spending, to boost the economy back in the day. Use your brain and research before you spew garbage.

February 14, 2009 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  14. Rick, Chicago

Don't worry the US taxpayers just spent 15million to fly him to Chicago for Valentine's Day. No recession if your the President.

February 14, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  15. Gerry

It takes time for all Americans to forget the me world of the republican teachings of Rush Limbo and start thinking of helping their neighbour.

But keep up the message Mr. President. One voice can make a difference.

February 14, 2009 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  16. SueB

Great, the libs are going to start helping others. About time I'd say. Us independents and conservatives have been helping others forever. We didn't need Obama to come along to show us the light.

February 14, 2009 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  17. Rick -Toronto

The Last Patriot – I think you have got the wrong president.....are you sure you are not refering to the one from 8 years ago.

February 14, 2009 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  18. Denver Mom

I was volunteering quite a bit but fear that the new financial hardship the stimulus bill will put on me will prevent me from doing so... I hope I'm wrong!

February 14, 2009 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  19. Henry Miller, Cary, NC

In what particular is "The Last Patriot" wrong? Someone has to pay for Obama's trillion dollar spending spree and, guess what, that's us and our kids.

And every dollar taken away from us in taxes is a dollar's worth of our time and labor. So, in addition to robbing us of the time it took us to earn those tax dollars, Obama wants more of our time!

Sorry, I've got a wife, kids, and my own life to live–my time isn't Obama's to demand.

February 14, 2009 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  20. janet, ohio

How about if we stop abortion, Mr. President, so that future generations can be born?

February 14, 2009 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  21. literate and proud

Griff, buy a dictionary.

February 14, 2009 08:45 pm at 8:45 pm |
  22. cdmertz

LETTER TO:CINDY WILSON You can tell you are a Obama voter you know nothing. A bill Obama sign the first week kill's 25,000 UNBORN BABY'S a week. That is ONE MILLION A year US baby's a year.I would not think while we stand by and let that happen that GOD WILL rush out to BLESS OBAMA OR THE US. HEY CNN CAN'T I EVEN READ SPORT WITHOUT SEEING THAT BASTARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 14, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  23. Larry

CNN Comment Policy: CNN encourages you to add a comment to this discussion.
    All comments should be relevant to the post and remain respectful of other authors and commenters. O.K.

This is just talk,now that the government has just pulled the rug out from underneath us,and the next two generations of Americans will be paying for this,and you are smiling,I don't get it.

February 14, 2009 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  24. proudliberal-independent

i have some time. i'll go take a look at the site and see what i can do.

February 14, 2009 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  25. williefloyd

The Last Patriot-People like you, not just our former administration, are a large part of what is wrong with our country. No one has to necessarily "work" in order to help someone else. I recently spent $10.00 for socks to send to a soup kitchen where some of the people were asking for them because their feet were cold. No big deal-to me-I'm fortunate to have a warm home-paid for thank God-because my late husband & I worked very hard all our lives. I've been blessed and I intend to do anything I can to share those blessings with anyone I can help. It's really sad that people like you will never know the joy one feels when helping their fellow man. I pity you.

Pres. Obama is not perfect, and neither are any of us, but he is doing what he believes is best for our country-that's more than I can say about most of our members in congress-and you "patriot"!

February 14, 2009 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |