February 14th, 2009

Obama says 'lace 'em up' for service

The White House released an excerpt from President Obama's message on community service, which will air during the NBA All-Stars game Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama - fresh off a political win in Washington after Congress passed his economic stimulus bill - will take his game to another set of constituents: basketball fans.

On Sunday, a pre-taped message from the president in which he promotes community service will air during the NBA All-Stars game in Phoenix, Arizona. Tipoff is at 8 p.m. EST and will air on TNT.

TNT is owned by CNN's parent company Turner Broadcasting System.

Watch an excerpt of Obama's message

"In this time of so much need in our communities and across our country, we are blessed with endless ways to restore hope and opportunity in places that yearn for both," Obama will say according to excerpts released by the White House Saturday.

Obama's plea: "Prepare a care package for a soldier. Read to a child. Or fix up a local basketball court so the next generation can play and grow. ... Log on to USAService.org to find or create a project near you, then gather some friends and lace 'em up."

ALSO: Watch NBA greats weigh in on Obama's game

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Had It

@ The Last Patriot

I think you should change your name to Self-Centered Republican

February 14, 2009 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  2. Brett

Wow. B.O never ceases to amaze me. He hit the nail on the head on this one. This world is hard enough as it is, no need to go at it by yourself. It's time to bring back the words community and neighborhood. God bless the United States of America.

February 14, 2009 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  3. no corporate politics

Stay busy, work for the glory and honor of the Mother Land and My Glorious future. Then you won't have time to question me.

Just go to war in Afghanistan if I tell you to.
    Just give me more money if I tell you to.
    Just let me regulate the media so you will only hear the good things.
    Just give me more power so I can stop evil people who are against me.

(Or you can Question Authority.)

February 14, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  4. The Truth

The kommandant has spoken.

February 14, 2009 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. I think you meant to say "The Worst Patriot"

to "The Last Patriot" at 2:52

The patriotic thing to do is to pay your taxes (no taxes, no government, no country), be responsible (then you won't need gov't regulation), help the country out of this mess (the LAST president allowed the catastrophes which THIS president now has to get us out of, expensive though it may be), and – horror of horrors – read to a child. It's called volunteering, and yes, you do it for free.

I hope you can outgrow your "me me me" version of patriotism.

February 14, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  6. MsRotten

The Last Patriot
    February 14th, 2009 2:52 pm ET

===========================================

This is your typical RepubTard's way of thinking....
    "ME, ME, ME, ME!". "Show ME the money!" "I've got MINE; you go and get your own!".

Truly PATHETIC!

And that is why the USA is in the mess it's in.

I can't wait for the RepubTard Party to completely DIE OFF!!

It will still be a two Party system in the US, but the Tards are being replaced by we Independents. Indy's and Dems are the future of America!

February 14, 2009 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  7. Elaine, Milwaukee

A friend just had her knee replaced by a specialist who is giving her top notch care even though she is on a state medical plan. His comment back, "We have a new administration. Things are changing and doctors are going to have to do their part. I've been doing mine all along." In a northeast town, over 60% of public school workers each donated a day of pay to keep 7 staff members. Things are changing. For those who want to criticize, just don't get in the way.

February 14, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  8. Judy

To The Last Patriot:

=====================================================
    You, my friend, are the problem. It's not all about you. If we all reached out to help our fellow Americans, government wouldn't have to be so involved. Every single problem we face today can be tied back to one thing – GREED.

February 14, 2009 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  9. Chipster

President Obama can't possibly "bankrupt the nation." President Bush already did that. All these folks who are suddenly so-o-o-o concerned about the debt and the size of the stimulus package make me wonder: where were they for the past 8 years!!!

Bush took a surplus and $5 trillion deficit and turned into into a loss of millions of jobs and nearly $10 trillion deficit. So, shame on Obama for not being able to reverse that in 3 weeks? Are you kidding me?

February 14, 2009 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  10. Volunteer

Some bullheaded and stubborn Republicans will complain about volunteerism because it's a SOCIALIST agenda. So, the only thing to do to appease those unreasonable souls is to get out and show them how it's down. I will be patriotic and participate in this effort by OUR CIC!!!

February 14, 2009 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  11. KB from Phoenix, AZ

When I read comments from individuals like "The Last Patriot", I realize that there are still so many uneducated, unsophisticated people out there who like to be spoon-fed their beliefs by Rush and O'Reilly. Luckily, the majority of Americans have embraced the idea that we can have a President that is intellectually capable and progressive enough to handle the challenges that require forward thinking and not stale old rhetoric!

February 14, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  12. DALG

To the Last Patriot,
    Get a life!!! He asking people to help their friends and neighbors and their communities. If you have better things to do then do that. But guessing from what you wrote you probably live in the middle of nowhere where your closest neighbor lives miles away and you live eating MREs and think government is tracking you down with satellites.

February 14, 2009 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  13. Commonsensenotsocommon

To the "last Patriot"..Hey ditto head..did you ever think that ditto just means that you barf out the same lame ignorant spew that you are programed to from a fat drug addicted hypocrite? Oh, that's right you DON'T THINK !! You have zero original thought. You are way to comatose to know what real patriotism is also. While you and your ilk will gladly goose step into oblivion, you try to take other ignoRANTS with you. As long as you have your booze to keep you numb and dumb and faux news to deliver your idiot instructions, you will be pacified. The odds are heavy against but if you ever decided to really be a patriot, you will support a president that asks it's citizens to engage in some of the responsibility in helping to fix a major F-up that your Right wing nuts did to rip the soul from this country.
    If you were around during the birth of this nation, you would not have done what the amazingly brave did in fighting for this nation, you would have sided with benidict arnold and sold out then they way you are now! You make me sick! And that's being nice.

February 14, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  14. PaulMoATX

The Last Patriot – The Last Patriot my arse. How is Obama going to tax you when he's not raising taxes right now and has no plans to do so with the economic situation the way it is. How is he specifically regulating you at this moment in time? How did Obama bankrupt the country when he inherited this mess from your idol Bush and his republican counterparts? I think you're forgetting that we must spend a lot to get out of this mess. What else is he going to do to get us out of this mess? Oh, I forgot, you don't have any ideas, how original.

No, Obama's not crazy, you are. Duh.

February 14, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  15. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I look forward to doing my part as many Americans do and no time for complaining about what someone else needs to do for me.

February 14, 2009 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  16. Jero

Though it is a good cause and people should be doing it, and it's OK to promote this and try to get people to do it. I'm afraid people won't do it because they won't get paid for it. It's sad that people won't do community work if they don't get paid to do it. But that is the society the last generations and presidents have created. The idea that doing community work for free is labelled "socialist" by the right wing nutjobs. It doesn't need to cost much time, just 2 hours a week can be enough. I myself, help pour coffee in a home for the elderly on saturday from 10 a.m to noon, what sounds boring, but actually is a lot of fun talking to people who have a lot of history to share with you.
    It may be a good idea to make regulation that forces high and middle school students to do some community service in the school's time. (half a day or so) to create respect for elderly and other people.

February 14, 2009 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  17. Willy Brown

Welcome to the Socialist Republic of America.

February 14, 2009 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  18. amt, CA

I am so proud of Pres Obama he is doing just a beautiful job. He is definitely a role model for all of us to follow. I just love it ! !

February 14, 2009 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. Wisest one of All

hussein nobama truly is the most stupid person ever born. Proven Fact!

How about you idiots who believe this moron take care of yourselves and quit expecting me to do it. I do not need anybody else's help. I am not lazy, worthless or a sponger like the rest of you. I will take care of myself.

What a country of whiners and wusses this country has become. Another Proven Fact!

February 14, 2009 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  20. Ann

The last patriot "Ok Obama, you're gonna tax me, over regulate me, bankrupt the country, bankrupt the next two generations, and now you want me to work for free? Is this guy crazy or what?"

No, he is not crazy, just not too creative. Others did it before. Fifty years of communism in Europe just one example. Its nothing wrong to help a neighbor and contribute to the community. But to turn this into ruling a country is so .. let's say outdated.

February 14, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  21. Lilly Rose

The Last Patriot @ February 14th, 2009 2:52 pm ET – Ok Obama, you're gonna tax me, over regulate me, bankrupt the country, bankrupt the next two generations, and now you want me to work for free? Is this guy crazy or what?
    _____________________________________________________________
    Shame on you! Shame on you! You are most certainly no Patriot. You are a lazy slug who wants a hand-out without putting yourself out. And I suspect that you don't go to church either. Many people who go to church volunteer their time, not just a church, but within the community. President Obama's time as a community organizer taught him the value of volunteerism. Thank goodness for volunteers. You should try it. You might like yourself better.

February 14, 2009 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  22. DClaire

I am so very proud of our President Obama. I have always had within me what he is trying to accomplish, what a way to bring our people and our country together, yes this is part of what CHANGE and HOPE is.

D.Claire

February 14, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  23. Commonsensenotsocommon

Now that I got that off my chest for now..;-) I will end on a positive note. I am truly grateful for our President Obama for his vision, intelligence and for reach. I will gladly do what I can do to be the change I seek in this world. Our children are the leaders of the future, so it makes perfect sense to nurture them and to help provide positive solutions for them as they have fallen tragically through the cracks in many areas. Feeling blessed!! Dan

February 14, 2009 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  24. Kyle

I'll lace up my dress shoes and head to the office every day, 7 days a week to make sure I keep my job. But thanks Obama for the suggestion.

February 14, 2009 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  25. John

What a fresh change! A president' calling for volunteer community service.

Our last president said we should just go shopping.

February 14, 2009 03:48 pm at 3:48 pm |