February 14th, 2009

Obama says 'lace 'em up' for service

The White House released an excerpt from President Obama's message on community service, which will air during the NBA All-Stars game Sunday.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - President Obama - fresh off a political win in Washington after Congress passed his economic stimulus bill - will take his game to another set of constituents: basketball fans.

On Sunday, a pre-taped message from the president in which he promotes community service will air during the NBA All-Stars game in Phoenix, Arizona. Tipoff is at 8 p.m. EST and will air on TNT.

TNT is owned by CNN's parent company Turner Broadcasting System.

Watch an excerpt of Obama's message

"In this time of so much need in our communities and across our country, we are blessed with endless ways to restore hope and opportunity in places that yearn for both," Obama will say according to excerpts released by the White House Saturday.

Obama's plea: "Prepare a care package for a soldier. Read to a child. Or fix up a local basketball court so the next generation can play and grow. ... Log on to USAService.org to find or create a project near you, then gather some friends and lace 'em up."

ALSO: Watch NBA greats weigh in on Obama's game

Filed under: Popular Posts • President Obama
  1. Texas Teacher

Kay February 14th, 2009 6:17 pm ET

The Last Patriot
    You should consider taking up the name Saddist.
    *********************
    You are one sick woman...... Gezuz.... and you think Bush is such a Saint! HOLD ON.... WAIT A MINUTE!..

Come on, Laura ... Cindy... get a life.... you lost and the people are just sick to death of your failed policies!

February 14, 2009 07:17 pm at 7:17 pm |
  2. Brian Iwakiri

"Did you know that these so called...volunteers...don't even get paid."

–Homer J. Simpson

If you want to sound like Homer Simpson keep harping on volunteer work. If you want to sound like a grown-up, have more to talk about than Super Bowl Commercials and the weather. Volunteering, meeting new people and helping your community is a good start to being more interesting.

February 14, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  3. Noel

"Obama the Joke of America"

If cleaning the hood will get the generations off welfare then I'm all for it. Where's the torch?

February 14, 2009 07:18 pm at 7:18 pm |
  4. Larry

The President is being paid S400,000. plus a few perks,by us.

February 14, 2009 07:19 pm at 7:19 pm |
  5. Texas Teacher

The Last Patriot February 14th, 2009 2:52 pm ET

Ok Obama, you're gonna tax me, over regulate me, bankrupt the country, bankrupt the next two generations, and now you want me to work for free? Is this guy crazy or what?
    *************************************************

oppss... my bad..... Kay, I agree completely! Some of the bozos are so sick they do not deserve to be walking around!

February 14, 2009 07:20 pm at 7:20 pm |
  6. Yes We Can!

Jeema,

President Obama is leading to write the new era in American History whether you compare him to Lincoln or not? The President's policies are plain and simply setting a new high standard that's well overdue...finally common since practices that the constitution is written upon are being applied. We should be proud as American's I and many many others have faith the President will do his very best to fulfill promises made to Americans!

February 14, 2009 07:21 pm at 7:21 pm |
  7. Priscilla California

Jeema lost the election huh? Get over it regardless of the road blocks the Repukeicans try putting in the way President Barack Hussien Obama will prove to be the best President yet! Guess what? You too will benefit from his Presidency. Please be honest at least to yourself when it happens.

February 14, 2009 07:26 pm at 7:26 pm |
  8. Mike - Houston

To The Last Patriot,

I couldn't agree more. The only ones crazier than Obama are Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid.

February 14, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  9. GARY

I didn't need Obama to see that America sometimes forgets to lend a hand to someone without something in return. Its the greed of us in America that brought us to this point.

February 14, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  10. S Callahan

Marion you have the right idea. personally I applaud you! ...My church has a theme week of bringing in certain types of food each week and then we donate all of the items to the 'public community food pantry ' operating down the street. Groups can do this on their own. The food pantry we help have a 60% increase in requests this year. Our contribution has sustained them as the Regional Food Bank is under severe strain. It's those little things that count.....even buying a $20 bag of grocies for a young family that's recently laid off can make a world of difference and keep people positive. It's the effort that counts...

February 14, 2009 07:29 pm at 7:29 pm |
  11. Jonathan Schied

You know what. When Obama first came out as a candidate for President of the United States I despised him. I thought all of his plans would not work unless he actually went through with them into detail and did what he said he would. So far Obama has never ceased to amaze me. This stimulus bill is exactly what our economy needs and the perameters of it are glorious as well. His poise, plan, and execution of his plans are working tremendously well and I hope they will for the rest of his political career as President. If he does everything he said he was going to do he will go down as the greatest President in history next to Lincoln. I hope he will stay in office for 8 years and continue to exemplify what a President should act like. I give him props and look forward to his other plans to make the United States become the best country the world has ever been.

February 14, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  12. John Green

Marion –

I think you are absolutely right. We should do a little more to make our communities better. The key word in that sentence is WE. Not the government. The government does a horrible job of making things better...they don't, they only make things worse. We need less government, and more people like you, willing to help others. THAT will change America, not Obama, not Reid/Pelosi, not McCain. Career politicians cannot change the problems we face right now.

February 14, 2009 07:32 pm at 7:32 pm |
  13. Minnesota Voter

WOW - President Obama has been in office less than a month and already he is working so hard to bring positive change to our country, bring us together, and promote service to others. He is AWESOME. The haters out there are just jealous that the republican party was a failure for the last 8 years and still has nothing to offer.

February 14, 2009 07:34 pm at 7:34 pm |
  14. Gary from Charlotte, NC

To "Simon Cleary"

Rush Limbaugh "can really spew words, can't he? Too bad he has nothing to back up his words."

True Americans back the President of the United States , don't they??????????

February 14, 2009 07:40 pm at 7:40 pm |
  15. Robert Stinnett

I am so proud to have a man like this as President. I believe he really, genuinely cares about the people he serves.

February 14, 2009 07:41 pm at 7:41 pm |
  16. Candy Wilson

I campaigned for Pres. Obama and I am still behind him. He is trying to make this a better America.. Thankyou.. God Bless us All!

February 14, 2009 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  17. jake

THIS IS FOR JEEMA I THINK YOU,RUSH AND THE REPUBLICAN PARTY ARE THE TERRORISTS!

February 14, 2009 07:44 pm at 7:44 pm |
  18. Sick of Commercials

I'd much rather see and hear comments from our President during a television program instead of the insipid ads that generally run. I'd much rather see and hear a story like Marion's. Thank you for your comment.

February 14, 2009 07:45 pm at 7:45 pm |
  19. Annie, Atlanta

Simon Cleary – it's really so sad that you totally miss the bigger picture here. Have you ever heard the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child?" That means we Americans look out for each other, and maybe go a little out of our way for someone in need. Times are rough out there right now. There's a lot more someones these days. Would it hurt you, or people like you, to actually care just a little?

February 14, 2009 07:48 pm at 7:48 pm |
  20. Roberta

Jeema, methinks you have serious issues. You are just pulling buzzwords from other people's stories and trying to present them as facts when, in fact, you know nothing. And Last Patriot, get a clue, the country was already bankrupt when President Obaman took office. I think it took extreme courage for him to apply for the job. So actually, yes, I think he's a tad crazy (because I sure wouldn't want the job) but he's strong, good willed and smart. He's actually trying to get things done and encouraging us to help. In other words "ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country".

February 14, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  21. E. Elliott

When it was Bush senior with the 1000 pints of light program I do not recall such grousing from thre far right. Frankly I thought at the time that it was offered in place of government programs to do the job of education, medical care and public welfare. I still think I was right. Now we cannot do the job right due to the Chaney era debt, so any little help that can be provided for the needy is a good thing. You never saw little Bushie doing good works, well except the record in Africa was rsponsible on the disease front. So for the Last Goober, the country is already bankrupt, under regulated (helping cause it) and god knows if your pay is so low that a few more $ in taxes to pay for the Bush binge hurts that much, remember you will be getting a cut in those taxes. Obama has been keeping his word. More than Bush ever did. Thank you for the chance to set you straight.

February 14, 2009 07:49 pm at 7:49 pm |
  22. Roberta

Oops, I just realized I spelled Obaman wrong. My apologies.

February 14, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  23. Roberta

Obama Obama Obama See, I can spell.

February 14, 2009 07:50 pm at 7:50 pm |
  24. rich

I think he is talking to his fellow dem's as the repub's seem to already do a lot of charity...liberals unite! and think of someone besides yourself for once! the prez is calling you!

February 14, 2009 07:51 pm at 7:51 pm |
  25. gotitright

Okay, sounds great but - why can't he help his own brother who lives in a hut in Kenya and makes $10 a month. Or how about his illegal Aunt living in Boston sqauller?

February 14, 2009 07:53 pm at 7:53 pm |